Cap Space “myth”

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Having a lot of cap space is usually seen as a positive but dig deeper and you see more often than not it just means your team sucks and has no talent to pay.

Of the top 6 teams with space there are the Jets, Cards, Raiders, and Bills.

They all suck.

Look closer at the “cap hell” teams.....number one is Phily. Right up there is New England. Both with a ring or 5 sounds good to me.

Even I hated Tanny at the time but he was the guy in charge that got us the talent for back to back AFCCG....... the facts are the facts...

If Sanchez was Darnold we would be on a 9 year run of excellence. Tanny swang for the fences and Mark was the big strike out that ruined the river boat gamblers career.

The moral of the story IMO is to pick great players, pay them, sign quality FA, and manage the cap because you acquired soo much talent.

I’m even now warming up to Bell. He’s a selfish prick but who cares. Did we gain a single thing by trading Mevis? Milliner?

One in the hand beats 2 in the bush.

Let Sam have a shiny toy in his youth, while he banks the amazing experience and wins. Then when Bell is done, Sam will be in his prime and can afford to play with lesser backs.

Call me crazy.

2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

$100,000,000 in cap space.

That’s like $10,000,000,000 cap space in baseball.

3. Longsuffering88

No cap in baseball

But how much cap space is that in Pesos?

Or Pound?

Asking for a friend.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So you think Mac should just draft better players,sign better players and manage the cap better? And you kept this to yourself for the last 4 years? Fuck man, get him on the phone pronto and share this wisdom.

5. Its a unique situation bc although the jets have a shortage numbers wise on the roster which makes the cap space for 19 seem like a mirage,they also have over 100m projected for 2020 as well. That provides further financial flexibiity to improve the roster. Its not just gonna be about having enough guys to field a team rather than bringing in quality upgrades.Its about choosing the right players who are true upgrades & fixtures.Not marginal upgrades from bad teams who cant sign w anyone better or hoping to revitalize damaged goods. Like Adams said.This team needs dawgs

BudJet, mrjet80, Cman68 and 4 others like this.
  6. Longsuffering88

You missed the point Rollo Jr

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And it isn't just about signing the marquee names either. They - Macc - need to really look hard at the TYPE of players he signs. And for that he needs to figure out a blueprint for this team, an IDENTITY, and get players who fit that. And for that, he -the Johnsons - need to find a coach that fits that mold. That means the players he signs may not be the big names or have big stats, but they DO fit the mold of the team style. Having players who mesh together is much more important than just having the "stars". If he follows this approach he will have enough money to make a huge improvement.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

That's exactly right--and a coach who will properly use a player's talent. For example I always thought Leonard Williams would flourish as a DT in a 4-3 system as compared to Bowles 3-4 defense. I also thought Darron Lee was too small for ILB.
    The jets NEVER changed things under Todd Bowles. Even when his DC left for 2 games and the jets won both, Bowles immediately (and foolishly) restored Rodgers back to DC and the jets lost 9 of the last 10.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I, for one, am scared to death of Mac having all this money to spend. I have visions of a bunch of Trumaine Johnson like contracts dancing in my head.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’ll depend on the coach and how much control they get. Mac knows this is his career on the line so I tend to believe he’ll fall in line with the coach instead of the less the ideal situation he had with Bowles.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

They won't have nearly that cap space in 2020. Right now there are only 19 players under contract in 2020. With 34 free agents to sign this year , a considerable amount of that 2020 money will be gone to their salaries.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

It's funny because for years I have been on this site preaching how cheap this team is and that there is ZERO reason for us to have so much cap space.
    The JETS constantly let good talent go because of money.

Now with Mike and his absolutely ridiculous philosophy of signing Low Risk High reward that yields a team of 10-20 mediocre starters that he acquired with this mindset tells me one thing...
    ...He isn't in charge.

This WREAKS of ownership meddling like they have done because of bottom line. Woody basically lined his pockets every year and especially this year.

Keep your best players and build around them....PERIOD! It isn't difficult especially now w/cap room.
    The roadmap is setup nicely rn and you'd have to be a major fuk up of an organization to blow this.
    Funny thing is I expect them to still fuck this up.

13. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Just to be clear wasnt it Tanny's swinging for the fences that actual fucked this team and left no money to keep the talent we had around Sanchez that ultimately led to our downfall?
    Every single year all we did was remove more and more pieces from around him and fill them with old aging and budget-minded pieces cause we couldn't afford better.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1st of all, I’ve been making fun of bad posts long before @Rollo Tomassi eas parading around as stokes.
    2nd, much like your baseball comparison, the double edged sword of having cap space is not an original thought and has been discussed here a few times, so sorry if you thought you were enlightening the board, but you didn’t.

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Fellas, let's clean up the dialogue.... If you have a different opinion and can't respect each other the hammers will fall.

Back on topic and stop calling each other out!!

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

That, and having rosters filled with Pro-Bowl starters and Pop Warner quality backups. It worked great because nobody ever gets injured in the NFL and guys like Damien Woody are interchangeable with guys like Wayne Hunter.

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

you and me both ! Or he goes and signs a ton of low end guys that he hopes to find one diamond in the ruff see his philosophy on the O line ugh !

18. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Free agency is only good for signing players who are:

1. Coming off their 1st contract where they proved they are worth a huge contract and their original team is for whatever reason not willing to pay it.
    2. Getting a significant older player who doesn't want to retire yet and is willing to take a 1-2 year contract.

The $100M in cap space is useful because that means we can sign 1 or 2 of those 1st bucket players. I'm thinking Bell or Lawrence.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Which is the Biggest Myth:

a) Lochness Monster
    b) Big Foot
    c) 100m in cap space
    d) back to back wins in football is like a 20 game win streak in baseball

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Is there any evidence that it's ownership that is holding back on the spending? Building a war chest is certainly a tactic that has been used in the past by other teams until the time is right to pull the plug. The time for the Jets to pull the plug is ahead. We shall see if the cash flows freely or it is held back with holes still to fill.

stinkyB likes this.