Report: Jets will make a run at Jim Harbaugh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetsclaps, Dec 23, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Didn't Harbaugh embarrass Ross back when Sporano was still Miami's HC? Ross flew out to interview Harbaugh when he left the 49ers , while Sporano was still HC. Harbaugh turned him down. Ross said he never met with him and Harbaugh told the media Ross flew out to offer him the job personally but he refused.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That sounds vaguely familiar now that I think about it.

3. TonyFtLaud

I don't remember the specifics but I remember him getting ripped by the local media and him denying it until Harbaugh detailed the meeting. I believe it took place on Ross' private Jet and Harbaugh turned it down because Sporano was still HC. Sporano may have been retained after. I can't remember.
    I'm sure someone will have the details

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It sounds like a Ross move . He’s a spineless clown ......

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  5. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Bowles coming back was never an option after the blowout loss to Buffalo. It's expected and if for whatever reason they decided to extend him, the media and ensuing fanbase sh**storm would hit the Johnson's so hard, they would give in.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

and

and

I respectfully disagree. Have you been paying attention to the news in this country? It's been full of one race pitted against another, one group pitted against another, unarmed black men shot and killed by police, misogyny, bigotry and prejudice of all kinds. Sadly, prejudice is still alive and well in the US.

Whereas I agree that some teams don't take it seriously and just interview any minority candidate just to say that they have interviewed a minority candidate, that in and of itself, is evidence that prejudice still exists. Teams may choose to waste their time interviewing someone that they really would never consider hiring as their HC, but it gives those black coordinators and/or assistant coaches opportunities to practice interviewing and at least gives them some hope that they can move up the ladder. In addition, some teams might not initially have considered hiring a black, but after interviewing a black candidate, they could be blown away by the interview and change their minds. Hopefully, those teams who otherwise wouldn't interview a minority candidate, may get their eyes opened, learn, grow, and stop being so bigoted.

I believe that things are never as simple as you say that they are. I also believe that prejudice will always exist at least to some extent. Sadly, it's just part of human nature. Many, if not most, people are suspicious of those different from them. They choose to live, date, marry, and associate with those who are like them. For as liberal as NYC is supposed to be, I saw more overt racism there during my 16 years than I've seen in the south in my adult lifetime. Just as if our federal government stripped out protections for minorities, if the NFL did away with the Rooney rule, things would go back to the way they were before the rule was created for some, if not many, teams.

#206 NCJetsfan, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Brook! and sozopol like this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Whether prejudice exists in the country is irrelevant — the rule only applies to the NFL and not what happens outside of it, and the proliferation of minority coaches, from black to Hispanics, reveals the league no longer has any hesitation in giving minority coaches an opportunity which is what the rule was created to overcome. What the hell does unarmed black men getting shot by police (some by black officers while in the act of commiting crimes which doesn’t reflect anything negative about society other than the attempt to victimize criminals) have to do with the clear lack of apprehension by owners to hire minority coaches within the league?

Hint — it doesn’t.

NYJetsO12, FJF, abc and 1 other person like this.
  8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

We elected a black President for fucks sake.

Twice.

Btw, I don't think Asians and Native Americans and Indians and Inuits are appropriately represented in NFL coaching circles.

Shouldn't the Rooney Rule require those groups get interviewed?

NYJetsO12, JetBlue and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. Native eskimos have been blackballed from the NFL since its inception.How bout a rule to make sure some of these owner’s private jets make their way to Antarctica during coaching searches!

Yankjetfan, NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  10. abc

abc Well-Known Member

vomit :/

Sec124DieHard and rohirrim665 like this.
  11. JetBlue

Not until public outrage demands it. Asians will never be given a Looney Lule, they work too hard and need tougher Harvard barriers put in front of them not equality.

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

And let's not forget Women !!!

rohirrim665 likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

That one bolded quote..
    Just saying... :D

#213 TonyFtLaud, Dec 27, 2018
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I find it bothersome that you’ve responded to two separate posts about racial inequality with “vomit”.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

To be fair, how many Asian players do we have in the NFL? I think you have to look at the % of African American players in the league, and I think that's a start as to why the Rooney rule exists.

Regardless, I do think the Rooney Rule is outdated at this stage of the game, and it requires discussion.

Brook! and HomeoftheJets like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

Feel free to keep your feeble reactions to yourself. We all know you are trying to gander negative attention.

Brook! likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This discussion about the Rooney Rule has prompted some thoughts:

1. Why don't they end it and see what happens? If the NFL returns to the way it used to be, then reinstate it.
    2. Do other countries have "anti-discrimination" quotas or mandates, and if so,what's their experience with how effective they are? We have a couple posters from England, I'm curious what they have to say.

In my experience, sometimes people have to be forced to do the right thing, at least initially, but if that coercion becomes a permanent device it begins to backfire and cause a "rebound" effect. I'm not a social scientist or expert, but I think anti-discrimination quotas, etc. are warranted, but should be phased out over time to allow a more natural social dynamic to rule, but if the discrimination returns, then re-establish the policies.

At this point, the NFL should remove the R.R. and see what happens.

Acad23 likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like the Rooney Rule. It forces Owners and GM's to look at coaching options that they might not have looked at otherwise. As some have said, it might be to a point now in the NFL where it is no longer needed. My one problem with it is when teams already KNOW who they want to hire, then just interview a minority candidate to comply and then move on. Seems unfair to the person being interviewed.

Brook! and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The optics of removing the rule would be more detrimental than it's worth for the NFL to expose themselves to.

Now, if they update some of the stipulations to make the rule more effective or productive, it may be a better alternative.

#219 GQMartin, Dec 27, 2018
  20. JetBlue

The shame is the optics could easily be spun in the NFL’s favor — the results speak for themselves that their policy worked and their culture today no longer requires the rule. The teams will interview minority candidates on their own.

The only people who would be outraged are the dishonest political extremists who shouldn’t be catered to.

ColoradoContrails likes this.