I'm worried we're gonna see a repeat of the 2003 offseason in 2019 with Robbie Anderson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Dec 13, 2018.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Enunwa's body is breaking down.

Good player but he can't be trusted to stay healthy.

2. WarriorRB28

He'll want more than that. Edelman isn't a #1.

I'm thinking more along the lines of top second tier UFA wr money. A contract similar to what the Falcons gave the wide receiver they signed away from the Bengals a few years back.

If the Jets can get Robby signed to that type of deal, assuming Darnold continues to improve, it could turn out to be a great bargain for the Jets.

The Jets shouldn't even mess around with the tender nonsense. With $100 million in cap space extend him plain & simple don't even give another team the window to try to sign him away.

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

It's taking time but Robb is getting better running routes. I heard he will be working with Chad Ocho Cinco in the off season. I expect Robb to really improve once he masters the route tree. After the Buffalo game he was asked about the long reception & he said he was bating the cb all game with comeback routs. This is the sound of a receiver who is starting to get it, not just a 1 trick pony. I hope they keep Robb. The past 2 games he and Sam have seem to click. Chemistry takes a while, but I feel they are getting better as the season progresses

#63 BudJet, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

A "repeat" of 2003 would be someone signing Anderson and the Jets not matching and getting a 1st round draft pick as compensation. When it happened in 2003 with Coles, I was upset. If it happened this offseason with Anderson, I would lovingly pack his bags for him as the first rounder has more value than he does

NYJetsO12 and stinkyB like this.
  5. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Robby Anderson isnt worth big money small frame will never allow him to play physical like Julio Jones or Brown. Quincy Enuwa is a better WR who would be worth big money but he cant stay on the field.
    Sad thing Jets have neglected this spot for so long that players like Anderson seem like #1 on the Jets but on any other team he is a #3 or 4. I would not give him the big money neither would I give Enuwa big money.the Jets need to really make the OL and WR the prime targets in this draft stop drafting another defensive player. The defense has enough invested resign Henry Anderson and trade backwards in the draft AJ Brown and grab best available OT.

IIMeanDeanII, NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  6. WarriorRB28

It would be exactly like 2003.

The Jets would be losing their best WR just as it's starting to look like he's developing chemistry with Darnold.

Darnold-to-Anderson could be special in the years to come.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

He's 6'3 that's not a small frame and his game is different from the guys you mentioned. That doesn't mean he can't be effective.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Manute Bol was 7’-6” that’s not a small frame.

stinkyB likes this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You said he was still young and developing into an overall one? Am I reading that wrong. It seems you at the very least believe him to be a #1 caliber WR in the future, no?

Its rare for ANY udfa player to excel in this league but it happens every year for a few teams. That doesn't mean we should all ride his jock strap now just because he has had some level of success on a talent detective offensive roster.

I'm glad Mac found a diamond in the rough. That's awesome, but he isnt even close to a true number 1 or a quality 2 even. So we shouldn't invest that type of money for someone just because they were an udfa at one point and has had some productive games for us.

He's upgradable and really benefited from the talent deficient roster we've had for several years now. If we can keep him as a reasonably paid #2, slot, or depth piece. I'm all for it , otherwise, I'm okay with moving on from him. We could and should do better.

No, I dont think that's the main issue. Good man 2 man teams contain him soundly. I see him draw brackets deep, like last week, but again, true #1 routinely split those brackets and make those plays. He's not that.

That's your argument? Who have we drafted better? So because our GMs have been shut st drafting playmakers at WR, that should what? Make me gravel at Robbie Anderson's feet in appreciation?

Why?

No, it just highlights the real problems with this team even further. Doesnt mean I dont like Robbie, it just means i dont think he is nearly as good as you do.

Enunwa, btw, is a better WR to me than Anderson. He just can't stay healthy.

Finally. I never suggested he learn the league in drops.

What I suggested and insinuated was that he is not a clutch player. He's not a big time playmaker and falls well short more often than not in those big moments, when you need him to make a play the most.

Like a true #1 even a lot of #2s typically would.

Robbie is not any of those things.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Enunwa can't stay healthy and Robbie might be back on the criminal path...decisions ...decisions

Keep Anderson for some chump change, get Enunwa a Health Coach (what good is this beast for any $) and go DRAFT some WRs ..isn't it about time we concentrated on this and OL??????

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The reason I brought up Edelman is Edelman was an 7th rounder who made himself into one of the most reliable receivers in the NFL. Anderson isn't remotely as good, or as productive. Edelman got a 2 year 11 million dollar deal coming off a 98 catch season with over 1100 yards. In 15 playoff games he has 89 receptions for 1024 yards. Edelman would be the best receiver on our team by miles and his in decline.

I think the market will be set below what we sign Enunwa for.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I like Anderson and hope we resign him. Anderson, a healthy Enunwa, and a legit #1 receiver could make for a great combination.

I’d love to see Robbie build some muscle in his upper body, but I’m guessing he hasn’t done that to retain his speed. He really does look like a high school kid out there, though. Not likely to win many jump balls or in situations where he has to fight for it, and that will always relegate him to #2/3 WR.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Did something happen that I'm not aware of or is this just some casual racism?

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

when has @NYJetsO12 EVER brought any new factual news to this site? I don't think you need to ask

FJF likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

The biggest attribute Robby has that I'm a fan of is his developing chemistry with Sam. I'm not comparing the two because Sam is miles and miles beyond but I just keep thinking about how we took all of Sanchez's best weapons away from him as the front office and coaching staff outsmarted themselves. Assuming Robby and Sam continue to develop the way they have the last two weeks, I think you might have to up the price a bit past your comfort level to bring him back. Unless you comfort level is already too high, in which case, you're a bad GM.

16. BroadwayAaron

Fair and valid point.

17. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

PEOPLE HIS NAME IS ROBBY!!!!!!!
    Not attacking u I’m just really tired of seeing his name name spelled wrong when he’s a player on our team and google is literally right there. U say Enunwas better than Robby. See u just lost me tight there, Enunwa is really effective in the slot but when he’s on the boundaries that’s where he struggles. Robby’s has all 3 seasons be better than Quincy but he’s better in ur eyes.

I simply meant Anderson is stil developing and trying to develop into a well balanced WR. I meant one as a thing and not literally 1.

Enunwa
    2015 22 rec 315 yards 0 TD
    2016 58 rec 857 yards 4 TD
    2018 38 rec 449 yards 1 TD

Anderson
    2016 42 rec 587 yards 2 TD
    2017 63 rec 941 yards 7 TD
    2018 38 rec 588 yards 5 TD

Anderson has lapped Enunwa clearly already has Enunwas total TDs (5) this season and just like ur counting or some are counting his off the field transgressions in ur assessment. Enunwa not staying healthy year after year is why Anderson is ultimately a better WR

No one saying to grovel or overpay Anderson is simply saying anyone suggesting we should just let him walk hasn’t been paying attention to how ridiculously hard it is to develop at the WR position. Devin Smith, Stephen Hill, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen lm these guys were drafted and had promise but none of them developed into half the WR Anderson is. Like is this majority to do with the police thing cause I literally don’t understand how anyone can’t reasonably be thrilled with Anderson. U say I’m overhyping him cause he’s been maybe one of things we’ve gotten right. No just look around the league how many teams have the glorious WR 1 that u speak of. Some the best teams in the league don’t have a true 1 so let’s just do better because it’s so easy to find a WR1. The rams don’t the eagles don’t the pats don’t, the ravens don’t the colts don’t the bears don’t.

My point is no I don’t think Robby’s a number 1 WR. But he’s atleast a quality 2. And when we actually get a WR1 I think ultimately it’ll let him truly shine. And maybe not having below average QB play for his entire career so far will help his numbers. Ur judging off a bad scale, The QBs before Darnold weren’t good and he’s been inconsistent obviously as a rookie but as a young WR his rookie and sophomore seasons he flashed multiple times. Don’t u think he would have done even better with a Brees or Brady or is that being considered here in the discussion. It’s a team game yet ur expectations are so high ur already saying he’s a 3. And we need to look for an upgrade. My argument is that it’s extremely hard to acquire talent, we could do better but all 32 teams are trying to do better, it’s not as easy as ur implying because if that was the case we’d actually have a much better team than we do.

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

First of all, I dont care how Robbie spells his name. You and I both know who we are talking about here. That's just anal. To each their own.

How did I lose you? I'm getting the sense you're a stat guy and not an eye test kinda guy. To each their own. Again.

For me, stats are fun but they rarely, if ever, tell the whole story.

For one, you seem to be just looking at yards and TD.

Couple problems with this though .

One. Go look at games played between the two. It stands to reason that a WR that plays more games than the other in a season is going to have more opportunities, targets, and inflated stats in comparison to the other.

Two, their roles are much different for the team.. Anderson is a deep threat for us and not much else, but when he beats his man and catches the ball, his receiving yards and TD are naturally going to be better and they should be for what he does good at for this team.

Enunwa is much better at catching, being clutch, RAC, blocking, creating route separation, and is a much harder matchup problem for opposing defense's.

Again, he just cant seem to stay healthy.

Enunwa and Robby had the best statistical years together when we used them both a lot on the perimeters. I dont understand why you think Enunwa was bad on the outside?

Robby is faster and a better deep threat than Enunwa. Only thing I would say he is better at between the two.

For me, the off field issues only highlight the risks when it comes to a future contract. It holds zero weight for me with my views of him as a football player.

Better QB play make better offenses in general but by no means to I blame past QBs for a lot of Robbies issue, would his stats look better if he had better QB play, yeah, for sure, that wouldn't mean his many shortcomings as a receiver would just disappear either though.

My expectations are high.

My argument is..

Maybe yours should be higher?

19. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I really cant comprehend the disrespect and kinda of idgaf approach of not knowing how to spell someones name when its extremely easy for one and actually requires less letters (Robby) (Robbie). Like to me u think Pats fans are routinely spelling Bradys name as Braddie like just spell his name right its not that hard. U root for the guy but if he asked u how to spell his name you'd get id wrong. We probably will never agree on this but its fine. Yes im obviously anal about spelling.

On to more important issues. To me if anything Quincy has had a much easier path to success. His biggest season to date was when he was the #3 WR behind Marshall and Decker. And the best run of his career was when he was essentially the #3WR this year in the slot. There he caught bubble screen after bubble screen after bubble screen if u think that is effective WR play and is more impressive the Robbys deep receiving ability than I'm never changing ur mind. When we put Kearse back in the slot Enunwas numbers dipped so what is it. Are u sure hes the great WR who just cant stay healthy or is he better than what u think he is.

Robbys gotten it done from the outside until Enunwa does ill continue to treat him as the slot he is. And he can be a great slot thats where he should play. I wish i could find more data about how exactly Enunwa was used when we had Decker and Marshall but i believe he was in the slot for a majority maybe as much as Decker but regardless. He had his biggest impact when he was a #3, Robby was essentially our WR 1 last year and shined as the main guy. Enunwas never been the main guy. This isnt a bashing Enunwa post as much as it is Robby is way better than what u think he is. Robby has his flaws but Enunwa is just as flawed if not more. He's better at all those things you've claimed but the stats say otherwise. Both have had 3 years of playing time, my expectations remain high but im willing to solely judge the player for what theyve done not not what i think they can do. Enunwas not as big of a matchup problem, teams fear points not yards after catch.

How is he better at catching? What exactly do u mean by that when u say that? Robby doesnt drop alot of passes. U cant just harp on that one he had late last week thats so unbelievably short sided.
    Being clutch? When exactly has Enunwa been clutch? Isnt it clutch to score TDs late, Robby did that alot last season is he not clutch anymore
    You're assigning traits that should be explained. Sorry Robby >>> Qunicy... and i love me some QUINCY

20. WarriorRB28

You're comparing apples & oranges.

Edelman is strictly a slot guy he doesn't play outside or face the other team's #1 CB. Robby does.

I don't think Robby would/should go for that type of deal.

If the Jets offer him a contract similar to what the Falcons gave Sanu a few years back I think Robby would take it and be happy. In his role with the team, assuming Darnold continues to improve, Robby could very easily outplay that type of contract and become a tremendous bargain for the Jets.

And I don't think Enunwa will be setting any bars when it comes to contracts this offseason. I don't think he's looking at a payday more like a prove it deal. Good player when healthy but the Jets could upgrade there.