The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

To be fair he was playing at an MVP level the year he got hurt and Cam simply ran away with it.

2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

So who would you suggest, if you don't want the OC of the most consistently dynamic offense in the league in his tenure? People forget Drew Brees struggled early in his career. So much so that the Chargers drafter Phillip Rivers to replace him. He only found success when he went to the Saints from the Chargers and Pete Carmichael moved with him. Carmichael became QB coach for the Saints. Carmichael helped develop Brees into the 2nd best QB in the league after Brady. To dismiss him out of hand is ridiculous. He might be the best coaching prospect to develop Darnold.

FJF and Ralebird like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, but Arians is not coming here, I don't care if the Johnsons gave him the half the franchise. He is too old, think may have health issues, but just as importantly, Bowles and he are good friends, and he's not gonna take Bowles' job.

4. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I've never seen John Harbaugh make an egregious mistake coaching. He knows how to coach a team. He gets excited and fired up on the field. He's won the big game. In my opinion, he would be the best candidate for the job. McCarthy is too traditional, and some of these other guys have too little experience.

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Another name who is intruiging but has not been a head coach is Freddie Kitchens with the Browns. He was a college qb at Alabama and a cup of tea in the NFL. Been an assistan coach at both the college and pro level. He has done wonders with the Browns offense since Greg Williams has taken over. Is it the fact that Hue Jackson is not there and the offense was just going to improve from there. Not sure but might be worth looking into. If not as hc maybe as oc. Who knows the Browns might keep him but another name worth watching.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Not exactly. They drafted Rivers but Rivers never won the job against Brees. Brees made the pro-bowl in Rivers first year on SD. In year 2 Brees started every game and on the last game of the season wrecked his shoulder. It happened to be his contract year. There were doctors who thought he would never be the same again. SD decided not to offer him a new deal because they had Rivers. Saban tried to low ball him in Miami because of his shoulder and Brees walked on the negotiations and they signed Culpepper. Saban, faced with calling Dr. Kevorkian and quietly ending his life or taking the Alabama job for 10 million a year for life decided to take the Alabama job. The Saints went all in and took the gamble on Brees being healthy.

7. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I just read that he is coming back to the Browns next year.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He got hurt the following year. He started every game for the Cardinals in 2015 when they went to the NFC finals against Carolina. Carolina had a much better team and blew them out to go to the SB that year.

He screwed up his pinky on his throwing hand but it didn't limit him until Luke Kuechly got in his face in the NFC championship game.

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Worth the thought. Won't be surprised if he is a head coach in a year or two.

10. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't want another first time HC either.

That should tell you how much I don't want McCarthy.

If Ron Rivera gets fired OMG he should be the guy.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Oh, come on. We’re supposed to take you seriously with post like this?

Jets69 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

To be fair, McCarthy is fat and Rivera looks like he's in really good shape--that probably means he cares about winning.

13. WarriorRB28

If Ron Rivera gets fired and the Jets can't have Jim Harbaugh

I WANT RON RIVERA TO BE THE JETS NEXT HEAD COACH!!!!

He's perfect.

He worked well with Cam Newton, his teams won, his teams overcame different obstacles, his teams play defense!!!! That's the brand of football I want to see my team play.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  14. WarriorRB28

To be fair the odds of your client (he he he) actually making something of himself as a NFL player IF the Jets bring him back in 2019 at $14+ million would be greatly improved with Ron Rivera as HC.

Rivera's teams play defense.

McCarthy's teams play cr@ptacular defense.

I want a complete football team or as complete a football team as the NFL allows in 2019 & beyond.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

sweet a slightly better version of Bowles

16. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Rooting hard for the Chargers on Saturday.

John Harbaugh is our guy.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

And then the Browns to beat the Ravens Week 17 so they keep Williams and aren't in the coaching market. Though the danger is Harbaugh goes to the Packers and McCarthy goes to the Ravens, leaving us out in the cold.

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Ben Allbright is well plugged in with the Broncos and he says they’re coming hard after Harbaugh. Then La Canfora says Harbaugh is #1 on our list.

Curious to see where he would decide to go. I’d definitely rather have Sam than Keenum but Elway/Broncos are definitely more respected league wide than Johnsons/Jets.

Agree it would suck if the Packers wanted him. I can’t see him passing up Rodgers.

19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I'm good with Rivera as well.

He should not be fired but who knows with antsy new owners.

Rivera is very solid

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The staff itself is also important. In 2009/10 we had Rex who was a great motivating head coach and good defensive playcaller, but we also benefited from having Bill Callahan on the staff. We brought Tom Moore in as an offensive assistant. Westhoff. Mike Pettine, Anthony Lynn, Dennis Thurman were all on those staffs as well.

Guys like Dirk Koetter, Marvin Lewis, Jason Garrett and guys of that ilk may be getting fired and soon. I want nothing to do with them as head coaches but as assistants/coordinators they could end up forming a nice staff with a HC like McCarthy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.