The case to keep Mac

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 17, 2018.

1. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Mac contract

2. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

Idk but Mac needs to extended Both Henry and Robbie anderson like now

Sam Hammer likes this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

No argument that better coaching will make the team better, but it won’t get them all the way there. They do need at least 2 pieces on the OL, with OT and C being the priority, unless Long heals and can actually snap the ball.

4. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

His issues go beyond snapping the ball he shouldn't be playing center. He's naturally a guard and should stay there as he has played much better int his position. If anyone on the current roster had to move to center it should be winters. He played very well there during Manigolds downtime.
    But again this will depend a lot on the nex OC's scheme as im sure anyone here can agree Bates with out question will not be back next season

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You are resting your case without producing much evidence. Four years of incompetence, bad draft picks, terrible resignings, weak free agents and three consecutive 5-11 records (IF they win one more), and you point to just one guy he drafted?
    As a lawyer, I can tell you that your case would never make it to the jury--A judge would throw it out in nothing flat.

94Abraham likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better.

Maybe Macc isn't the worst GM, but he's sure not above average and that's what the Jets need. Here's where I base my judgment on Macc being fired:

1. His four year record. The team - with the exception of QB - is not much better than when he started, although the cap space is favorable, he has to account for his own upcoming FAs and who to keep/how much to pay them so that will eat into his "treasure chest", making it not quite as bottomless as many think.
    2. He drafted Hack with a premium pick. This was a massive failure, exposing his inability to judge talent, especially QB talent.
    3. Failed to draft Mahomes or Watson. Again, proof that he doesn't know QB talent. And please don't try to use the "Well other GMs/scouts missed on them too" argument - I wouldn't want them as our GM/scout either, and the "He did it too alibi" is no excuse.
    4. Failure to get the FQB in 2017 meant he had to spend precious draft capital to move up to get one in 2018. This meant having to use our 1st round pick on a QB instead of a OL or pass rusher which are still critical holes, as well as not having the three 2nd rounders. While I give him credit for trading up to #3 to get a chance at a FQB, I also have to ding him for having to do that in the first place.
    5. He lacks a vision or overall plan as you pointed out, and as have I often. What kind of "plan" calls for ignoring offense for 3 of your first four drafts, ignoring OL, ignoring a pass rusher, and loading up on DL, Safeties and scrub WRs? The best explanation I can come up with is relying solely on BPA and trusting that over the long run - though he doesn't say how long that run is - it will produce a deep collection of top talent. How's that working out? It's not, plain and simple.

Really the two best arguments for keeping him are:

1. "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't".
    2. Who could we get that's better?

Neither of these are testimony to Macc's ability, and in the end that's what he has to be judged on.

tomdeb, 94Abraham, chandler and 2 others like this.
  7. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Where are you a lawyer at haha?

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That would be the same situation as Rex/Idzik. The reason we wound up with Idzik as GM is because Woody insisted on keeping Rex as HC. None of the top GM candidates would even interview with the Jets and told Woody that they were not interested. Now that may have been specific to Rex, but I think that most GMs would want to hire their own HC so that they know they're on the same page and not a situation like Mac and Bowles where they're not on the same page.

tomdeb likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I get that. All I'm saying though is that if they fired Bowles but kept Macc, it wouldn't necessarily mean that he would HAVE to stay if he showed once again that he's missing on FA and draft picks. I agree that it's better to fire them both and start clean with two guys who are on the same page.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

That is an excellent point. People keep focusing on the fact that we got Sam as a result, but that was dumb luck. If the Giants weren't so stupid, we would have wound up with Allen or Rosen.

ColoradoContrails and chandler like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

It might not necessarily mean that he would have to stay, but imo that's kind of like betting on his "maybe" picking the right players to go around Sam, about his "maybe" hiring the right HC (if he gets to do that), and about his "maybe" fixing the OL. I don't want for the Jets and Sam's future to hinge on "maybe." With the Jets (and our luck), what are the chances that the new HC would work out? And if Mac was the one who hired that HC, do you really think that the Johnsons would fire him after getting us our FQB and a good HC?

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Strange, I though Long was just fine at center until he hurt is finger. He's a way better blocker than Harrison.

13. Sam Hammer

I hate to be such a Macc apologist, but is it really "failling" to not get Mahomes or Watson when both of which were considered a reach from the #6? They drafted a pro bowl safety instead while getting a QB that could be better than both of them the very next year. You can't really call that a failure yet unless Darnold busts out. If Darnold succeeds nobody will even bat an eye at trading up for him. Most of the other stuff you said was spot on.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  14. Sam Hammer

Both of whom could end up being better than Darnold. Barkley was the smart pick for them.

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Very interesting stats.

16. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

On a recent post game show, Ray Lucas said that if you looked at the team that originally drafted each of the active players in the league today, the team with the smallest number is the Jets.

17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

then trade back if you think those guys are a reach. The point is KC (who didn't need a QB) now look like geniuses for seeing Mahomes's strengths overshadow his weaknesses. Houston scored big. Mac in the meantime is holding onto some coffee cup doubling down on safeties. I might be old school but in the olden days safeties were middle rounders unless you were looking at Polamalu or the like and we used our first two picks?!? Again I like Jamal. but this a serious indictment on his eye for talent

Think of it this way -- he traded up 3 spots this year without knowing who he would get. AND if the Giants didn't draft Barkley the guys he could have been drafting at 3 didn't get picked until 7 and 10 (i.e., available in his original slot). He sure as shit didn't think Sam would be there by all accounts. And there was no guarantee Baker would be either (e.g., if Sam got picked by Giants)

Guy has been here 4 years and hasn't been able to find a measly fat-assed, road grader guard, or sign a center who actually is capable of snapping the football.

What HC would want Mac choosing the groceries? (hint: someone desperate for a HC position)

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

ROFLMAO at both of your sentences! The odds of Rosen or Allen winding up better than Darnold are slim and none. Taking a RB over a QB, yeah that was the smart pick. SMH

19. Sam Hammer

It's soooooo easy to say that in hindsight. Oh yeah, they just knew, there was never a question, right? They couldn't have gotten lucky, right? Only the Jets are considered lucky for getting the best QB of the draft, but another team doing it is pure skill. If it was that obvious, Maholmes would have gone before Trubiski at the top of the draft. Adams has similar skill to Polamalu, not quite that great yet, but I think he'll be a yearly pro bowl selection.

He also didn't have to give up this year's first, so that's still a win. Maybe he did it knowing full well one of the better QBs would drop or he was happy with 3 of 4 QBs. Almost everyone knew the Giants were going Barkley. I said it almost immediately after the season ended because that and the oline was by far their biggest weakness. Sam not going number 1 was a surprise, but Barkley going 2 was not at all.

So Macc broke Long's finger as well? What did he forget to pay him back for a football camp appearance?

20. Sam Hammer

You are saying this after not even a full season in the NFL. If this was 2016, you'd be saying the same thing about Goff in respect to Wentz.

Yeah, Barkley was a smart pick. He's a game changer. Whoever they eventually replace Eli with will have a much easier learning curve thanks to that.