Buyer Beware: Free Agency OL per Peter King.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AlexJETS, Dec 17, 2018.

1. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

This thought occurred to me examining the PFF grades at each position through 14 weeks: If I were a GM and needed help on the offensive line in 2019, I might look extra harder at the draft. The five richest contracts given to free-agent offensive linemen last spring, and how they have performed in 2018:

Nate Solder, tackle, N.Y. Giants, $15.5-million average compensation. Played better lately, but the highest-paid tackle in NFL history is only the 17th-best left tackle and 36th-best overall tackle, per PFF ratings.

Andrew Norwell, guard, Jacksonville, $13.3-million average compensation. Better than Solder, but the second-highest-paid guard of all-time is PFF’s 13th-rated guard in the NFL this year.

Ryan Jensen, center, Tampa Bay, $10.5-million average compensation. Only three starting centers in the league are rated lower than Jensen, who has flopped in Tampa. He’s been penalized nine times and given up nine QB hits, each the most in the league for a center.

Weston Richburg, center, San Francisco, $9.5-million average compensation. Just three spots better than Jensen, Richburg is the 32nd-rated center in the league, and has allowed a porous 27 sacks/hits/significant pressures.

Justin Pugh, guard, Arizona, $9-million average compensation. His season ended in mid-November with a knee injury that forced him to IR. But he hadn’t been playing well, and PFF has him the 53rd-rated guard in the league. And this is the fourth season in a row that Pugh’s total snaps have been less than the season before

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

9. Spencer Long, center, N.Y. Jets, $6.85-million average compensation. Can't fucking snap straight.

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

With Long moving to guard, the offensive line has improved, but obviously we need a center and a real left tackle would be great too. This is why you draft offensive linemen early because there are enough decent talent positions that can be had in free agency. See Lev Bell.

4. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I get it, but like...

...what choice do we have.

Peebag and egelband like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

"With the third pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Jonah Williams, left tackle, Alabama."

twown, PJ4Ever, egelband and 6 others like this.
  6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

After the trade down from 2.

Royal Tee likes this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Our first 3 picks should be OL, OL, OL. We need to use FA to get weapons like LeVeon, Tyrell Williams, and an edge like Lawrence, Ford, or Clowney.

egelband, JetBlue and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Still prefer Little & i think by the time draft day rolls around nfl teams willl agree.Williams is a great prospect in his own right but he lacks top end feet/agility at the very top of his pass pro drops..that may seem petty but in the NFL that slightest bit of stiffness is all the good pass rushers need.

Little is thought to be held back alittle by Ole Miss blocking scheme which does alot of “plastered pocket” protection sets that put an emphasis on technique & movement skills over engaging contact & finishing blocks. But hes got off the charts fluidity,balance & flexibility to go along w a monster frame. I wanna see how he moves at the combine but from what ive seen hes a better prospect than Laremy Tunsil

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

LT and C need to be upgraded. IMO, those 2 positions make the rest of the OL better.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Couldn't snap straight due to an injured finger.
    Has played well at Guard, and will enter next season with the flexibility of playing him at G or C.

That was a good signing. The 5 above (maybe with exception of Norwell) are looking pretty bad right now.

What I'm getting from all this is that the real value with FA lineman may lie with the middle high signings like Long or Carpenter, rather than chasing the top priced ones.
    All depends on who is available in a given FA class of course.

almbleamal, TonyFtLaud and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

At LT I would probably keep Beachum as an overpaid insurance policy, and then try like hell to draft an OT somewhere high in draft.

At C I'd like to draft someone as well, but am comfortable with Long if a better draft opportunity appears at G.

Harpua likes this.
  12. It depends what they do w Long. Im not thrilled w him as the long term LG & think hes a much better blocker at center.He did a fine job calling protections,the issue was he couldnt snap the stinking ball which was more of an injury thing

Jets would be better off addressing LG & LT this offseason. Long/Winters/Shell is not horrible..and all 3 have strengths to their game. The only center thats really a true upgrade set for UFA/Draft is Ryan Kalil.

Beachem could stick around to mentor a rookie if they draft an LT or he offers huge cap savings if released before June 1st. The best way to get this line to block better & to actually control the LOS is by a new left side IMO

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Long was a LG before the Skins moved him to center due to an injury during the 2017 season I think.....I personally think he's more effective as a guard. He would certainly give the Jets a decent back up option at center in an emergency which is more important than often discussed... The Jets really need to find a young center and LT this coming off season whether it be the draft or FA. LT will have to be the draft it looks like. If they do go LT in the first round you can kiss Beechum good bye - he is OK as a player but too expensive...

As Adams the beast and Enunwa stated LT and C is the way to go to see immediate results in the strengthening of the OL as a whole....

LAJet likes this.
  14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Nate Solder sucks moosecock

K'OB likes this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Nate posts here.

Enjoy your vacation.

16. Its very hard to find above average centers bc the talent pool is usually pretty mediocre & similar.All indications are this offseeason will be no different.Jets have been very fortunate to have some of the rare exceptions at the position w Sweeney,Fields,Mawae & Mangold but thats not really the norm.

In normal offseasons w. No potentially elite Center,its a position that is addressed/presumably upgraded due to retirement,scheme change or to improve protection calls.

Im not so worried about the protection calls as i am about getting a push in the running game,giving sam a clean pocket & staying on their feet through the whistle when Sam improvises.

Short of Kalil shaking free any changes at center are negigible in terms of improved blocking which is what the team needs.I just see that realisticallly happening at guard Over center

17. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

We need a Brick/Mangold year. Maybe trade down to make it happen? What did we have that year? 6 and 29?

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Matt Paradis is a FA. He fits the zone blocking scheme the Jets employ. Upgrade LT and depth via the draft.

If the Jets got Bell too, that would be a nice start to the off-season.

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's just a terrible year, upcoming, to try and fix the OL.. I'm unsure who will be available in FA though, so I will refrain from speculating from that aspect of things.

The draft however... Yikes.

The 2019 OL draft class is looking really bad this year. Williams IMO is being overhyped for the sake of being overhyped. He really doesnt look like a quality LT overall to me.. I like Little a little more, but he doesnt really feel like a sure thing like Brick was projected when we took him.

I just think it's very risky to go that route this year at the top of the draft. No LT will be worth selecting where we will be picking in the draft. It certainly wont be BPA at that point.

If Macc is still here, and we stayed put, it almost certainly will be a defensive player as the BPA at our draft position. Defensive talent is so good this year. Bad year for us needing so much offensive help.

20. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

As much as I want to focus on building the offense, the defensive talent in the draft makes it hard to justify using a 1st round pick to overreach for an offensive player. I'd use our first to grab one of the many great edge rushers in the draft, and then build the offense through FA.

tooooon and IIMeanDeanII like this.