The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I like Marrone and felt he should've gotten the Jets job a few years back. I think he is a good coach but I can't put my finger on it. After a few years he seems to burn bridges and wear out his welcome. I wouldn't oppose the hire but would be leary.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm still John Harbaugh 1, Jim Harbaugh 2, Scott Frost 3.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Are people really thinking John Harbaugh will be available?

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think he might. They still have a very tough road to the playoffs. If they don't make it in and the relationship isn't great I can definitely see him being available.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Sign this beast in a heartbeat.

FJF likes this.
  6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's definitely my number 1 option if he springs loose.

Reports out of Balt just a few weeks ago was that he was a goner.

Now, it may be in a little doubt with them playing better but still, he may have overstayed his welcome. Hopefully they get knocked out of the playoff race.

Brook! likes this.
  7. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I like john Harbaugh, but who's he bringing for the offensive side of the ball? Marty Mornenweig? Sorry, no.

My preference is still to get an offensive minded head coach. Its critical for Darnolds development. I don't want them changing out coordinators every 2 years. And that's the risk you run if you hire a non offensive minded head coach like John.

thedrjay and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

NO to all three imo. We don't need a young guy who doesn't have much experience. We certainly don't need someone who has never even been a coordinator. Kafka only has 2 years coaching experience (working on his 3rd), and one of those was as a graduate assistant at Northwestern. This is his 2nd year in the NFL and first as QB Coach. He shouldn't even be considered for an OC position, much less a HC position.

I like that Siranni has 9 years coaching experience in the NFL, but most of it has been as a WR coach. This is his first year as a coordinator. He doesn't even fully know how to be a coordinator yet, and should have not even started thinking about being a HC yet.

At least Eberflus is older (48), has 17 years coaching experience at the collegiate level (including 8 years as a DC at Missouri), 9 years coaching experience in the NFL, but this is his first year being a DC in the NFL. He would have been a good hire for our DC if Bowles had fired Rodgers, but I don't want another defensive HC, particularly one who doesn't have much NFL experience being a coordinator. I would take him over DeFilippo, Zac Taylor and others of that ilk, but I'm hoping that we don't wind up with someone like this.

9. NCJetsfan

Scott Frost? Please. He doesn't have even enough college level coaching experience, has only been a HC for 3 seasons (none at a big time program) and has no coaching experience whatsoever in the NFL. He played under some excellent coaches, so may eventually develop into a quality HC candidate, but that sure isn't now.

#329 NCJetsfan, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Leicester Jet likes this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

My sense is he is rough around the edges and kinda hard to get along with. That can cause some friction especially within the media. You are right he's a good, old school coach. I'd like to see where Jax would be right now if they had a solid QB.

11. NCJetsfan

I agree no Marty Mornhinweg, but that can be sorted out in the interview. He can be asked who he wants to bring as his OC, and if he says Mornhinweg, he can be told no, and asked who his second choice is. Mornhinweg was probably only a last resort anyway.

I'd prefer to get an offensive-minded HC as well, but IMO it's more important that we get an experienced HC to handle and develop our young team, and create the right culture. First-time HCs are overwhelmed with all the details and all too often learn on the job.

12. mrjet80

LOL...it seems just like yesterday when Frost was running around the Jets secondary, chasing WRs from behind, laboring and diving to no avail........

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The problem is there are no proven quality NFL HC candidates available. He's the best College Head Coach not named Saban right now.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It's worked out pretty well for the Ravens, and I think Darnold a much better prospect to work with than Flacco.

Easily my top choice.

For all the draft nicks rooting against teams for draft position, the Ravens is most important team to lose, as missing the playoffs may seal the deal.

Big Cat, Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The guy was a National Champion as a QB who couldn't play QB in the NFL. We drafted him as a Safety. He had a 5 year career in the NFL. That's more than the average player sticks around. Shows he's a good guy to have around a team. We had a pretty good team in his rookie year.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

John Harbaugh and Mike McCarthy are proven quality NFL coaches. Harbaugh may or may not be available, but McCarthy is. There are downsides to both of them, but every proven NFL coach on the market comes with flaws, even the ones who are great with their new teams.

17. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. Chris Peterson and Lincoln Riley are two who are better right off the top of my head. When Frost can have the same success at a major college that he's having at these small schools, then you might be able to make that claim, but right now, that's just nonsense.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He's arguably gotten more production out of Jackson in real pressure games that count then any of the other rookies QBs. He's not a one trick pony with QB's. Jackson isn't remotely the same kind of QB Flacco was and he's using him extremely well.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Not major? They were the No. 6th ranked school in the country when Frost left. Frost made them a major program. Unlike Riley they took care of business in their bowl game.

20. mrjet80

I know he was a converted QB. A special teams guy really........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.