Mike Mccarthy fired yet Todd Bowles remains

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by footballfundamentals, Dec 2, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Ain't that the truth, went to Canada last year and thats all I heard. It's so embarrassing.

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

and you’re in the garden state so you can stand around some parking lot somewhere and wait for a radish to sprout

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I was born outside of Philly, moved to Westchester County NY when I was 10, worked for AT&T which was HQ in Bedminster, and later NYNEX Mobile next to Montvale J(which became Verizon), and also worked for 2 years for K-Mart Apparel HQ in North Bergen NJ next to the Meadowlands, all this to say I know the whole region very well. NJ has some beautiful areas, but also some really ugly ones. People with money - pro athletes - will choose the beautiful areas and would be very happy. People in the rest of the country who have never been to the NY Metro area have a very distorted idea of what it's like, but many would be overwhelmed by the congestion and non-stop competition for goods and services. Again, pro athletes could easily avoid much of that. In the end, I would say playing in the NY Metro area is a huge plus for most athletes, but for some it's the kiss of death because they can't handle the pressure and media torrent - Sonny Gray anyone? It's a factor that will have to be weighed for anyone coming here, and for those looking to hire them/

As an aside, when I went to my grandfather's funeral near Scranton, Pa. a number of years ago, my cousin who grew up in Pa. flew in from Atlanta and mentioned that as he flew over Newark the metro area, he realized for the first time what the primary purpose of NJ is: to keep NY and Pennsylvania from bumping into each other.:p

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We the fans have a negative opinion of the Johnsons but I don’t believe that those they employ share the same sentiments. I’ve heard Rex and Bart speak glowingly about them, probably others that I can’t remember.Honestly I think Macagnan might be a bigger obstacle depending on his status after the year.

Still gonna be an attractive opening for the reasons I mentioned. Someone with confidence in themselves is gonna see that as instant turnaround and therefore god status in the largest media market.

Ralebird, Red Menace and FJF like this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Per Albert Breer - Todd Bowles started Josh McCown despite Darnold campaigning to start against the Titans, and showed to be healthy in pre-game warmups.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/03/todd-bowles-jets-starting-quarterback-sam-darold-josh-mccown

Jets rookie quarterback Sam Darnold "campaigned" to start for New York on Sunday against Tennessee, but sat on the bench as head coach Todd Bowles chose to start veteran Josh McCown, according to The MMQB's Albert Breer.

Darnold has been out with a foot injury since Nov. 4, but was reportedly healthy and ready to play on Sunday. The USC quarterback did not dress in New York's 26-22 defeat.

"I’m told Jets QB Sam Darnold campaigned to play on Sunday in Nashville, and even showed himself to be healthy during early warmups," Breer wrotein the Monday Afternoon Quarterback. "And when I say that, I mean 100%. Coach Todd Bowles made the call, in the end, to start Josh McCown and not dress Darnold."

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Just more evidence that Bowles needs to go. There's little to gain by starting McCown over a healthy Darnold.

7. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Bowles said they kept him out due to lack of reps... not injury. So not sure why SI thinks this is news. Anyway, good thing because F... Todd Bowles. If this game wasn't the final nail in the coffin, then I don't know what else he has to do to get fired.

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

There's nothing to gain. This is Bowles taking the approach he's always taken with this team. Let's start the veterans because I need to win games.

Bowles thought that by winning against the Titans he would somehow redeem himself.

Glad it blew up in his face.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nah Bowles is a bad coach but he isn't that stupid. He knew it was wrong to rush Darnold back out there, and he did the right thing for the team. He also knows he's getting fired, and he wants to show other teams that he's unselfish so they'll consider him for a DC job.

TonyFtLaud and LAJet like this.
  10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Yup.. He said he could have played but didn't have the reps in practice to be prepared enough to play.

Let's hope this is the final nail. I would think that Buffalo would have been the final nail.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You know your season once again is going to complete shit when the most popular thread on TGG is about the merits of Northen NJ versus other less or more desirable venues.
    Someday hopefully we will actually be talking Jets football with enthusiasm after the seventh game of the season.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. DaftGreen

DaftGreen Member

I agree man. I lived in Somerset County for a few years it's a pretty nice place to live. Those mansions in the Watchung mountains are pretty nice.

13. This right here is circus esque. Its one thing to not play Darnold as silly as it maybe but its another to do it in favor of a 39 y.o journeyman who has already faltered through multiple starts w another young developing 2nd yr QB on the bench!!

Its only one of 3 things.

1. Bowles feeding into the “you earn the right in camp to be the #2” and never adjusting or blinking along the way

2.Bowles is trying to save his job w a veteran QB no matter how short sighted that may be

3.Sheer incompetence

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Or Bowles not wanting to put Darnold into a game Darnold isn't properly prepared for, knowing other teams are watching him coach out the string when considering him for a DC job.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

If Sam WAS healthy, then I agree. I don't fault Bowles for starting McCown, but there's a big disconnect between how Sam obviously feels, and what Bowles thinks. I'm gonna listen to the guy who's body it is.

Where I DO fault Bowles is not replacing McCown with Webb, as awful as Josh was. But just add that to the long list of dumb moves by Bowles.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Dorrell was HC of UCLA for 5 years and has 9 years experience as an OC, Rick Dennison has 8 years experience as an OC and Boyer is in his 3rd year as STC. Any would be better than Bowles so lack of a competent replacement is definitely not the reason

17. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, this is what worries me about assuming Bowles will actually get fired even at the end of the season. I was shocked that he was extended after last season when I thought he should've been fired for sure, so I'm not counting on it until it actually happens.

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I got the extension last year. In any other year 10 wins gets you into the playoffs (Year 1)
    Year 2 Fitz, Marshall, Decker, Mangold held out and divided the locker room preseason, all we're worthless once they did show up and continued the division.
    Year 3 the team was torn down completely and overachieved.
    But now even if for those like SGB who are pro Bowles,and will blame injuries, officiating, what ever other excuse they can muster, times up. No growth as a HC, same issues. He's got to go.
    It's not personal, it's buisness.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I never intimated or said that Mo & Curly (I'm not sure who Shep or Larry are in this equation) were disrespectful to the players or treated them poorly now or in the past. I'm all for confidence and a turnaround and a new kid on the block, but my point is the Brothers Idiot mostly need to just count their shekels and stay away from being OVERLY involved. I mean, I know how to plunge a toilet, but no way am I throwing Liquid Plumber in my face because it somehow vaguely seems more likely to make it go down.

Funny how there was not even a photo to be found of Christoper Johnson at first. Now he's all woo-hoo, I love the Jets wheeeee! There are 'worse' NFL owners for sure, but getting in bed with the Maras over The New Dump POS Palace, I'll probably shit all over Woody Johnson for as long as I Iive. He's an asshole, but he'll keep collecting compound interest because who wouldn't. Not that there's anything wrong with that; but his level of incompetence as far as the fans go is laughable. Willets Point, I swear that story is coming if it's the last thing I do. It might be.

#159 jetophile, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

McCarthy didn't even get to say goodbye to the team. Says most of the players found out on social media. That's messed up.

The guy did bring them a Super Bowl and what, 12-13 seasons?

dmarz45 likes this.