Mike Mccarthy fired yet Todd Bowles remains

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by footballfundamentals, Dec 2, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It could be. I freely admit that. I feel secure that with Bowles as HC we won't win another game. I've seen the Jets win a meaningless late game or two that screwed their draft position too many times. I believe that they are now drafting 3rd with the Cardinal win today. They could easily parlay that into several additional picks.

tomdeb and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  2. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

SNY said the Johnson's are too classy to fire someone midseason. What a crock

Taps

3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Also classy enough to continue taking the fans' money while putting a crap product on the field.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Not firing Bowles last year was a massive mistake. Almost as idiotic as not rebuilding from day one under Mac. For both of these blunders I blame our incompetent ownership. Too classy to fire someone midseason, but not classy enough to provide a competitive team and not perennially butt screw the faithful season ticket holders.
    Today was a painful example of what poor coaching can do, and had fuck all nothing to do with personnel talent.

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I am fully convinced at this rate management believes Bowles is the best man to lead them to the 1-3 pick, hence the no-firing yet. It should have happened weeks ago if it was going to mid-season.

6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

It is the biggest reason. In fact it is the only reason. However, if Darnold isn't playing even this reason is null and void. You aren't harming a 39yo vet or the 3rd string scout team QB by making an in-season coaching change.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes, and rehire after every win..now that makes sense

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

It's never too early. I would be calling him this morning to find out what his future plans are. Because once the season ends and all the firings go down he will many more attractive options.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We need more options in the reply section. Just a like function ain't cutting. You need a hate/middle finger/thumbs down/vomit. This comment by Bowles deserves the proper reply.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Acronyms aren’t his strong suit.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

His agent, if he is a good agent, has already been in contact with every team remotely considering a coaching change. Whatever is going to happen has already been discussed.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

NFL GMs response to Todd Bowles agent calling.....

[​IMG]

boozer32, ukjetsfan and FJF like this.
  13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’m sure Rodgers is great because of McCarthy. Talk about sounding ridiculous. And I already addressed his record — 61% winning percentage to 56% winning percentage for Kotite before coming to the Jets. And that is the actual comparison - what they did before the Jets, which have similarities, and the fact that McCarthy will likely be as disastrous for the Jets based on those similarities. The fact that you don’t get that concept is embarrassing for you; the fact that you believed they aren’t identical somehow negated their similarities.

McCarthy is not a good coach being propped up by a HOF QB, and underachieved, which will be evident on his next stop, just as Kotite was propped up by a great roster which underachieved under him and he was exposed with the Jets when he didn’t have that same talent level.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Contrary to what many fans believe, losing out is not the best thing for this franchise going forward. Sam Darnold finishing the year strong and gaining some confidence going into the offseason is.

It’s become abundantly clear that isn’t happening with this CS in place. Bowles & Bates should’ve been fired after the Bills disaster and heading into the bye, since that didn’t happen they should be let go this morning

15. tubby

tubby Active Member

Yep...Imagine if we fired Bowles and hired Nagy? Darnold would be having a hell of a season.

16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

A superbowl winning coach gets fired midseason, while the johnson brothers think Bowles should stay on for "continuity".

Bunch of nonsense.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of McCarthy but I think firing him mid season was a classless move by their CEO. It showed a certain level of personal spite to fire him mid-season. While I don't think McCarthy has done a particularly good job, he's been a part of the Packers for a long time, had some success and he and his family live in the community. Letting him go a few weeks before the season and right before Christmas sends a clear message.

How you treat your employees might have an impact on who you can actually hire.

FJF likes this.
  18. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

McCarthy until recently cannot complain about the roster the FO has assembled for him. Bowles has never had such roster. McCarthy underachieved for a long time when he shouldn't have. He should have been dismissed when they still had tons of talent to win with.

19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Generally, I would agree. For all the time he's been there and all that has been accomplished, they probably should have kept him till seasons end. But, I think there is some stuff behind the scenes between McCarthy and Rodgers that likely forced the hand of the GM. The packers have only fired an HC twice in season in their entire history. Also, the Packers are a storied franchise with one of the best, if not the best QB in the league. They'll have their choice at HC.

Now, to your point, is it possible the jets could get shafted by a better HC option if they cut bait with Bowles now, perhaps, but I think candidates would be more concerned about the GM situation than anything else.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member