The WORST part about today's game:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Nov 25, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets kicked a Field Goal to tie the game at 13-13 late in the 3rd Quarter, yet I had absolutely 100% ZERO faith that the Jets would win this game. None. Not even a consideration.

That is really sad for a Die-Hard fan like me. I have believed in this team my entire life. I know part of it comes with age, but the truth is the team is pathetic. The Coaching staff is pathetic. The players are pathetic. Even though it was a tied game, you knew the Patriots would find a way to win. And they did. Instantly taking a 2 touchdown lead, and eventually winning 27-13.

I don't like that. There is no point in watching a product that you have no faith in to win. That is the point of sports. Winning games. It is a true shame what Woody Johnson, Todd Bowles and even Mike Maccagnan have done to this franchise.

Hopefully the future is bright. I still believe that it is and 2019 will be a good year, but it is really sad to not believe in your team. Did anyone else feel that way today?

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The only thing I don't understand about your post is why you believe that the future is bright and 2019 will be a good year. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that that is true. The current coaching staff is beyond pathetic - maybe a new staff won't be, but they haven't been hired yet (if a new staff is actually hired at all). The talent level is poor, and the recent free agent signings have ranged from barely adequate to disastrous - maybe a new GM will do better, but he hasn't been hired yet (if a new GM is actually hired at all). The supposed franchise quarterback has played at a level that is at the bottom of the league, and definitely lower than several of his fellow rookie QBs - maybe he'll get better, but there's nothing to suggest right now that that will happen. The fan base is totally disengaged from the team (it sounded like a Pats home game on TV) - maybe they'll come back, but who says they will?

What possible reason is there right now to think that 2019 will be a good year?

JDeacon, sec314, Cman68 and 7 others like this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There's zero reason to think that 2019 will be a good year. If anything, it might be worse.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When you're at the bottom, the only direction is up!:)

Or if you want to look at it another way (which is the way I do), unless I want to decide right now to finally quit them, I have to hold out hope that next year will be better. It's already a certainty this this year won't be. So my choice is clear: If I expect next year to be the same or worse, then I should just quit now; otherwise, I should put on my rose colored glasses and make myself believe that next year will be better. At this point, that's how I'm leaning, but if they don't fire at least Bowles, if not also MAcc, then I'll be done. I don't have that many more years left to waste them on insanity.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles

Great defensive mind!

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The 2016 Rams went 4-12 and Goff looked like a bust. In comes McVay the following year and Goff looks like the QB the Rams were expecting while they go 11-5. I know it has nothing to do with the Jets, but if they make the right moves(a big if I know), they can become a playoff team next year. Maybe I'm a bit too optimistic, but quick turnarounds are possible in this league as we've seen many times.

7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Turnarounds happen to franchises that care about the product that is on the field. Jets leadership has already proven over the past two decades that the bottom line is all that matters. There's a reason why franchises like Cleveland, the Jets, Detroit, etc. have been stuck at the bottom of the standings year after year, decade after decade.

8. The Dark Knight

I guess I threw that line in there so the thread wasn't completely negative. I try to be a positive person. My hope would be that the Jets get a new coaching staff, sign a few Free Agents, draft a few difference making players, and Sam takes a big jump into Year 2. If that happens, then 2019 has potential to be a good year.

nycarl, kevda5n9ne and CotcheryFan like this.
  9. statjeff22

Far more teams don't turn it around than do turn it around. All you're saying is that you hope things will get better, but as I said there is absolutely nothing right now to suggest that that will happen.

10. statjeff22

Exactly - you hope it will be a good year, but right now all that is is hope, without any evidence to back it up. I hope so too, but this year has made me believe it less, not more.

And don't forget, we haven't even gotten a hint that Bowles will be gone after the season. Most believe it's going to happen, but until it does it hasn't.

11. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I am not an overly positive guy but franchises can turn around in 1-2 years. The Rams, Eagles, and Chiefs were all pretty bad not too long ago. I think the biggest thing we're missing now is having a football mind that knows how to navigate the game in 2018.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I watched a game like Chiefs/Rams last Monday, and Falcons/Saints on Thanksgiving. I couldn't help but think "Man, this must be SO fun to have a rooting interest in". I couldn't tell you the last time I was excited for a Jets game, excluding Week 1 & 2 of this season. Until the coaching staff is gutted and we have new identity leading Darnold and company, it's going to be more of the same.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree with everything else in your post, but several? The only rookie QB who's outperformed Darnold is Mayfield. Rosen, Allen, and Jackson (not sure what to think about Nick Mullens) have all played at the same level as Darnold.

14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Just build around Sam next 3 drafts- mainly OL

Look what happened to Andrew luck

Poor bastard almost has his career cut short

But the finally decided to build the OL and gee whiz they are winning in the modern NFL

( score more )

15. statjeff22

More franchises don't turn it around than do turn it around, particularly if you mean more than just the occasional season with 10 wins and a quick playoff exit if they make it. Fans love to point to the few that do, conveniently forgetting the many that don't. It's particularly noteworthy for Jets fans to do it, since the team is a perfect example of how plenty of teams don't turn it around.

I fully agree that it could happen; what I keep pointing out is that there is absolutely no reason right now to think it will happen. If Darnold had looked like Mayfield has looked, that would be a reason. If the defense had a bunch of young studs who were making plays all over the field, that would be a reason. If it was 2006 and the offensive line had a couple of rookie players like Mangold and Ferguson on it, that would be a reason. None of those things have happened.

16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Only thing I disagree with is the Darnold evaluation. Mayfields clearly been better but everyone else has been a jumbled bag of shit. I actually think Sam has shown decently considering his supporting cast and it’s not like Allen and Rosen are playing well.

17. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

At no point during the game did I ever think anything more than a possible backdoor cover was in play. Meaning the best result I could have even dreamed of was losing by less than 10. The team has terrible talent. Awful coaches. No direction. We are not even just bad, with Darnold on the sideline we are utterly irrelevant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. statjeff22

Mayfield has obviously outperformed Darnold. The others are arguable, but the trends aren't good. The only reason to say Jackson hasn't clearly been better is that it's only two games, but his yards per attempt, completion percentage, rushing average, and passer rating are considerably better than Darnold's. I believe that by the end of the season Jackson will have clearly had a better rookie season, but we'll have to see. Rosen is very comparable to Darnold, but has a better TD/INT ratio. Even the much-maligned Allen is a major weapon as a runner, although I'm not trying to claim he's going to end up being any good.

If you want to say that Darnold, Allen, and Rosen have all performed at or near the bottom of the league that's fine. That's no reason to think the future is bright. For every Goff who completely turns it around there are a dozen rookie QBs who never do.

19. The Dark Knight

Yep. That is exactly how I felt. That is a shame too. Especially when it was 13-13. You should feel excited as a fan and believe you can win. Instead, most fans did not believe the Jets could, and then the Jets proved them right. Sad. Great point about being irrelevant without Sam playing too. There is just no point.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Whenever we play NE, beating them is the point. Even it its just to ruin home field advantage for them.