Wildfires in CA

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Aug 1, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Paradise, CA: The entire town has been destroyed. 23 confirmed dead, 100 missing, 6,700 homes lost, 25,000 acres gone, people burned alive in their homes, outside, in their cars trying to escape. How horrible! Again anyone on here from CA, be safe. It was a mandatory evacuation, but it spread so rapidly many were trapped like sitting ducks. People are submitting DNA to find loved ones from the bodies thus far recovered and for people who are missing. One article said that in some cases they're only going to find bone fragments because some people were effectively cremated. I'll try to find the most recent article I saw 5 mins. ago but can't find at the moment. This link will have to do for now. I felt like a crow walked over my grave when I read it. Unreal.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/08/665871871/thousands-flee-fast-moving-wildfire-in-northern-california

2. jetophile

3. jetophile

4. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

i have friends who have been evacuated, one of them lost their enitre house and farm, animals had to be let loose, its so fucking bad. my other friend's house somehow survived among others that didnt. The president's tweet didnt win him any popularity, and im not just talking about liberals, there's plenty of rich conservatibe christians out here too and theyre not happy with the guy, it was a douche bag tweet at a time where people are burning to death and losing everything. i dont wish to start a political shitstorm war, they're for assholes, just stating the mood out here

5. jetophile

Glad your friends are OK relatively speaking, but the alternative is far worse. I know it is hard to look it at that way after the shock wears off and your entire life has literally gone up in flames. Your friend with the farm, that is just terrible. Some of the footage looks like Nagasaki after the bomb. Yeah, let's just say that Trump's comments were ill-advised, not the time or the place, and I'll leave it at that. RIP to anyone and everyone who got caught in that inferno. Good God (and you know I'm not religious, I just can't find anything else to say - more an expression of abject horror).

I always found Guy Fieri abrasive and annoying, but say what you want about him, this is the second time he has stepped up and fed fire-fighters and others out of his own pocket. Between the earlier fires and this apocalypse it makes me far more willing to put up with his grating TV persona/delivery. He's fed thousands of people. He's a good guy, no question.

stinkyB and nycarl like this.
  6. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

whats great though is that we're seeing the best in humanity right now, firefighters from across the states coming in to help, we're severely outmatched on this one, it's always a tragedy that brings out the best in us unfortunately, but still great to see. this was a bad one.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. jetophile

Last I read there were over 9K firefighters on this one (I'm not sure if firefighters from elsewhere is part of this number), and Aussie firefighters flew in and assisted on the last one, too. 48 now confirmed dead. It wouldn't surprise me if surpasses 100 (hopefully not), since originally it was reported as 100 missing and then it went up to more than a hundred missing (whatever that means).

8. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

There are firefighters and trucks from Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Indiana, Misouri, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota,Montana,idaho, Nevada. Washington, Oregon and Alsaka now. Many are experienced with dry and timber conditons. Theyre incredible!

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

This is horrible. It reminds me of the 19 firefighters we lost from Prescott several years ago. They were fighting a brush fire when the wind suddenly changed. These are beautiful parts of the country that are burning. California with all of its people is one of the most beautiful and diverse states in the country. It's not just people horses, Cows, livestock, dogs and cats who are abandoned to fight for themselves along with the wildlife.

This is so tragic on so many levels.

TommyJ likes this.
  10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

While politics (a TGG 'no-no') can make for strange bedfellows, . tragedies it seems can make for some strange 'politics'

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqIEcalHFUD/

Paradise (Ca) lost... . . . heaven help them all

11. jetophile

59 now confirmed dead.

12. jetophile

@joe Anyone who loots is a POS. That's all I have to say about that.

joe likes this.
  13. jetophile

Missing tops 500.

14. jetophile

63 dead, 631 missing. I refuse to look at anymore pictures. A smoldering skeleton did me in, but I actually saw it by accident. Be careful what you click on if you want to fall asleep.

15. jetophile

71 confirmed dead up to 1,000 reported missing. Air quality is so bad people are wearing masks - if they can find them (stores are wiped out). The AQ is worse than Beijing (which has actually gotten better). I read some accounts of people witnessing others running while burning alive. This is so fckd up. Firefighters now saying that it is highly suspected that many ran into the woods to escape the flames and if the fire caught up with them, there won't even be any bone fragments left. Others who ran into the woods are lost, there is so much ash in the air it's like Mount St. Helens after the eruption, and the sun is being blocked out so the temp. dropped. Everyone on here knows how much I love horror movies, but not this kind. I can't believe this. I also can't believe it's not getting more coverage than it is.

joe likes this.
  16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

But Jim Accosta (below) had his hall pass revoked!

[​IMG]

#36 joe, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It has plenty of coverage in the UK news, a terrible tragedy and some thought provoking images of Paradise, as you see perfect lines of roads but with ash in place of houses, truly horrible and fingers crossed the death toll does not increase much further :(

18. jetophile

Thank you, K'OB. It literally looks like hell on earth. There are hundreds of displaced people living in tents in the local Walmart parking lot there and relief effort is somewhat disorganized from what I've read. At least Walmart is good for something for once. Those poor people. 74 now confirmed dead. I'm sure a decent number of the missing just haven't been able to communicate with anyone, but I'm also sure once the fires are under control many of those who are still missing will just simply be presumed dead after a fashion. Very sad times for CA and the U.S. I always kid around and say that California is the flake capital of the Free World (because it is), but this is a far cry from a laughing matter. Seeing the devastation makes me feel hollow.

K'OB likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Tragic :(

I wish my firefighter certification was still valid, so I can volunteer to help ( Did the firefighter academy at 36, and was "nationally certified" but had some injuries (that needed surgery) shortly after and never got hired on (it's valid for 3 years if you're not officially engaged in the practice)

20. jetophile

Can you reactivate it by re-taking the physical or do you have to go through the whole entire process all over again? Just curious.