The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Now that we have a better idea of which coaches may be available, here's a new poll with names. You can vote for up to three choices (so there aren't a bunch of Harbaugh-Harbaugh votes), and you can change your vote if you change your mind as more information becomes available. If there's someone I didn't list who would be one of your top choices, indicate who they are. My votes are (in order) Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, and John DeFilippo.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I voted for John Harbaugh and Pete Carmichael, both are incredibly smart and can truly develop Sam Darnold in to the powerhouse he could become. My third vote was for other, there is a media rumor that Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers are souring on each other. I would make McCarthy coach in a heartbeat, but that is probably just a fantasy.

Catfish Billy and boozer32 like this.
  3. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Jim Schwartz.

Previous HC experience with a rookie QB, went to playoffs, has had pretty damn good D's wherever he's gone.

Whatever happens we'll be 'picking' behind Browns, Cowboys and other potential spots with better possibilities unless we offer a Gruden like contract to someone.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Support your argument that Dallas or, especially, Cleveland are better places to be a head coach than New York. I don't want the guy who is going to shy away from the biggest marketplace in the world, I want the guy who's going to reach out and grab it!

boozer32 and LAJet like this.
  5. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind the Harbaughs but John is not really an offensive mind. Jim has always mostly been a HC not an OC. I would prefer an offensive mind like McVay for Darnold. That's why my #1 choice is DeFilippo who brought the Eagles offense back to life and is doing a good job as OC for the Vikings. I understand some people are nervous because DeFilippo was the QB coach for Sanchez his rookie year, but honestly, I don't mind it. He already went through coaching one USC QB and I think the experience helps. Also this man coached Sanchez to the AFC Championship game. Obviously it was more of the defense guiding the Jets in 2009, but Sanchez played extremely well in the playoffs and his future was bright before DeFilippo left.

jdon, boozer32 and Mr mittens like this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Jim Harbaugh would turn around the Jets overnight just like he did San Francisco.

John Harbaugh is the wrong Harbaugh.

We need Jim.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I voted for Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, and Matt LaFleur.

With either Harbaugh, we know we will get an experienced HC who will have the team prepared to play each week, will have disciplined teams who play smart and tough, who know how to make adjustments, know situational football, and can manage the clock and their time outs. Neither have the offensive pedigree I'd like, but I figure both would make good hires at OC and QB coach.

It was a toss up between LaFleur and DeFillippo. I think LaFleur may have more experience than DeFilippo (but I could be misremembering) and I'm impressed with the Titans hanging 34 points on the Patriots, but I'd be happy with either.

#7 NCJetsfan, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  8. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

This poll is actually the perfect list and I would be atleast fine with any of them

LaFleur may be my early favorite...He’s done a great job with Mariota (who played thru a hand injury early this season) and the Titans offense in general

Ive see lots of smart football people I respect mention his name and I’ve definitely been impressed

boozer32 likes this.
  9. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

With all due respect guys, Jim Harbaugh ain't leaving Ann Arbor to coach the Jets. He will return to the NFL, but he knows that he will pretty much have his pick of NFL coaching jobs.

boozer32 and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  10. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I think the only chance the Jets have at getting Jim Harbaugh is to give him complete control.

dogg and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

My vote would be for a coach with a pedigree... one that comes with a reputation of success & would immediatly give us credibility like it did when Parcells came here.
    My first choice would be Jim harbaugh, with John as a 1A... but I want Mac gone too.
    I like this plan because I feel the Harbaughs would be able to assemble a better staff than an inexperienced coordinator on his first HC job.

Next choice would be DeFillippo , if we decided to go the coordinator route.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I'd give either of the Harbaugh's a blank check and free reign.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It will be an incredibly hard sell but I am all in on Jim H

The two Scrooge owners need to offer him highest salary eg 12 Mil per year and total control just like the Gruden deal ..not 100 Mil upfront just 12 per year with lots of bonus/incentives/control..ability to act as co GM maybe

That MIGHT do it but he and everyone else knows what d bags the Johnsons are..

Jim would have to see turning around this franchise as Hall of Fame resume material

14. 3HOLDINGCALLSONONEPLAY

If joe walton is still alive, my vote is for him. I miss his nose picking on the sidelines

jetophile and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

(Potential) open jobs heading into 2019, in order of how lucrative: Browns > Jets > Dallas/Bucs > Cincy

You can argue the Dallas job is 'better' simply for the fact that Jerry could keep the hire around for a decade just because (lol).

This, and honestly, let him have it.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Can also argue the Dallas job is the worst because of the lack of autonomy Jones allows the coach to have.

boozer32 and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'd argue that the Cincy job offers both the best roster and the lowest expectations -- they'll keep you around even if you don't win a playoff game for 15 years, after all...

boozer32 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Yeah, but who wants to live and work in Cincinnati?

Ralebird and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Why is Matt Campbell on the list? What's he done that merits consideration? His record at Iowa St. hasn't been that good. I see that he was an OC at Toledo then HC, but has he developed a QB? Is he thought to be a creative innovator as OC? I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand what I'm missing, and why he's on this list but Chris Peterson is not.

20. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

based on choices above: jim harbaugh>john defillipo>matt lafleur

but, i would also interview/consider: joe lombardi, dave toub, lincoln rielly

question is how many guys will refuse to come to the jets even for an interview?

johnsons need to pony up big $$$ for staff ( dir of football ops, gm ,head coach,o/c, d/c) instead of expensive free agent/bust/unwanted players/problem children

no, i do not want levion bell. use his money to sign 5 or 6 fre agent offensive lineman in the hopes that a few of them can actually play well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.