Bates admits the problem with the offense is him

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 9, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2...fense_oc_jeremy_bates.html#incart_river_index

The Jets just can't do anything right on offense these days.

The offensive line can't block. The running backs can't run. The wide receivers can't catch - or do it while standing out of bounds. And the quarterback - before getting hurt - is struggling more and more with each passing week.

So what do all of those things have in common? They're all coached by Jeremy Bates.

For his part, the Jets' offensive coordinator was fast to point the finger directly at himself on Thursday.

In fact, Bates fell on his sword nine different times while talking to reporters Thursday, constantly blaming his own play calling or phrases like, "that's on me."

"I need to put our players in better positions to be successful, need to put our players in better position to score touchdowns and that's my responsibility," Bates said. "We have to score points in this league to win football games."

This season is Bates' first as a coordinator since 2010, when he was fired by the Seahawks. He joined the Jets as the quarterback coach last season after a four-year hiatus from the NFL, but has been pulling double duty with both roles since February.

So far, it doesn't sound like it's going so well.

It sure hasn't looked great on the field of late either, given the Jets have scored just one touchdown over the past two games and have averaged an impotent 11 points over the last three weeks.

The good news for Bates is that head coach Todd Bowles hasn't been willing to throw him under the bus and criticize his performance as offensive coordinator. But he didn't exactly get full-throated support from Bowles on Thursday, either.

"Our coaching staff, we haven't done a good job," Bowles said. "Being 3-6, we've got to do a better job. I don't want to assess anybody individually - as a staff and as a team we haven't done well.

now that he knows this, what is he going to do to change it?

boozer32 likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He should probably go hiking around the world and climb the highest mountain to try to find the answers. Go ahead, Jeremy. We will wait. Take as long as you need. 10-20 years will be fine. Get back to us after the Darnold era is over.

harts24, Royal Tee, NoodleArm and 5 others like this.
  3. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Bates has been an unqualified failure as OC. His play calling has been abysmal, and what's even worse, he's made things harder on Darnold, and arguably, hampered his development, by not utilizing offensive concepts that would play more to Darnold's strengths, while additionally minimizing his potential mistakes. This offense doesn't have enough talent to be high octane; but there's no excuse for this level of ineptitude.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Bowles should have pulled Long after bad snap #2 against Miami. McCagNuts built a swiss cheese OL with his asinine philosophy of never using a decent draft pick on the OL.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's nice to see someone taking responsibility for crimes against humanity.

6. GasedAndConfused

if we fire bowles i'd love to give Eric Bieniemy a chance at HC. dude knows how to call an offense and develop a QB

harts24 and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

It took him nine weeks to figure this out?

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

This is the kind of language that is normally part of a resignation letter.

FlaJet and Jets81 like this.
  9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Anyone check out some of the snazzy razzle-dazzle "inside WR screens-on-the-fly" stuff the Steelers were running last night?

Our OC Bates equates a lousy OL to empty backfield sets on 3rd and 1.

.. .[​IMG]

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

A leader is supposed take the blame even when it isn't his fault. Unfortunately in this case it is his fault.

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Too wordy, too verbose.

Needs more brevity and maybe jotted down on a cocktail napkin.

I’m thinking “I hereby resign as the OC of the NY”

12. Longislandjetfan

Longislandjetfan Active Member

This is just another reason to get rid of Bowles. What the hell did he see in this guy to have him run the offense??? Our offense has no imagination at all. Would it hurt to pick up the tempo a little at all? Watching the saints they do so many creative things granted they have more talent but still these are pro players on the Jets try something out of the ordinary to give the team a spark. I hope he still has his hiking gear bc he’s about to head back to the mountains pretty soon.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The ship be sinking when people inside the team start looking for scapegoats.

Kacy Rogers baloney life threatening illness, Darnold's injury, now Bates falls on the sword.

Not good not good at all for the Jets.

14. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I am not a Bates supporter but there has been a few games where the offense has looked good. I think that is why it took so long to figure it out, because we were good vs. Lions, very good vs. Broncos & pretty good vs. Colts. I'll admit I felt like we really had something after that Bronco game. But whether it's play calling or player performance or injuries, we lost what we had.

#14 BudJet, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Mea Culpas do nothing for me. Bates was and should have remained a QB Coach. If we had an HC that had just the kernel of a clue about modern NFL offenses, he would have kept Morton one more year. Just think, we've had Jurassic Chan, Johnny Mo and Norman Bates as our OC's since Blowes' arrival. We used to think Rex was god awful when it came to offense but guess what....
    At least Johnny Mo had been an OC before which in the eyes of the Jets, should have disqualified him from the start. Now? we've got hot garbage for a offense and a combo of a rookie Qb and OC learning as they go...

Just how much more can this team be fucked up? Worry not, there's still 8 more games to go and an entire offseason.

tomdeb and Red Menace like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

to be fair in the 1st 6 weeks we had games of 34, 38, and 42 points and averaged 27.5 PPG which is pretty good. 27.5PPG would rank us 11th tied with the chargers. Not bad at all for a rookie QB with a bad o-line and no run game. it's the past 3 weeks we where are averaging 11 PPG where it stood out that things need to change. luckily we get a bad bills team this week then a bye week. when sam comes back week 12 after the bye, i'm hoping to see a lot of changes in the playcalls

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’m gonna need to look at the film

RPOZ51, tomdeb and JackBower like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well said!

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Ya' think?:mad:

Accepting blame is all well and good, but what are you going to do about it? We need to see results, not excuses. As Will-I-Am-Not pointed out, Bates is completely disconnected from Darnold's strengths and weaknesses based on the play calling we've seen. If you actually WANTED to ensure Sam failing you couldn't design a better system in fact.

Fire this CS NOW!

tomdeb and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

In Rex defense, Morningwood was actually decent, he just did not have a QB. Jets were decent in RZ and top ten rushing team with Morningwood.