Mike Macc - just as bad

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nevbeats319, Sep 21, 2018.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Can't agree more with everyone is saying. From Tannebaum to Mac it's defense all the time. The one year we get a qb he still goes defense. Besides Jamal Adams who else has he picked that you feel is a difference maker. No one. The time has come. A house cleaning is in order. It's time to be progressive. Go get a gm who chooses his head coach and let them work together. I'm sick and tired of seeing everyone else pick in the third fourth and fifth rounds and find offensive pieces that help while we keep drafting defensive players that do nothing. It's time to move on. I don't know who the answer is but offer the keys to the car and let them shop for groceries to David Shaw or Lincoln Reilly. Just two guys off the top of my head. I know there are others but you get the point.

2. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

This all defense philosophy is what has doomed us in the last 7+ years. Who we should really be mad at is Ron Wolf and Charlie Casserly. They had Woody Johnson hire this coach and general manager. The Bill from NE was right about Casserly, to bad our owner didn’t see it.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Tanny's 1st 3 draft picks were offense (5 of the 1st 7)
    Rex's 1st draft was all offense
    this year's draft was half offense

4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The two picks that have really bothered me as of late that Macc has completed whiffed on was 2017 3rd and 4th round picks (Hanson, Stewart). We are not good enough to select players in those 2 rounds and cut them a year later. Macc has not been the greatest drafter and I'd say he's a middle of the pack kinda GM.

If the Jets are going to wait till end of the season to get rid of Bowles then they should prob get rid of Macc too. I have a feeling though that Bowles will be the one that gets the Axe, while Maccagnan gets another 3 seasons with a different coach who he gets to hand pick.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is a pretty strong indictment of Macc, especially when he's compared to some other GMs from the period of 2015 to now:

http://turnonthejets.com/2018/11/new-york-jets-rebuild-reality-check/

[​IMG]

(Click above to view full size)

You can see that these three other GM’s have had more success with either the same amount, or fewer picks than Mike Maccagnan had from 2015-2017

Jaguars
    David Caldwell and the Jaguars hit on two elite players at premium positions with CB Jalen Ramsey and DE Yannick Ngakoue. Despite having their fair share of first round misses, they’ve still been able to add a balanced amount of positive contributors on both sides of the ball. They got younger and better on the offensive line and added Myles Jack, a steal in the 2nd round. On top of that, Caldwell has standout acquisitions such as CB A.J Bouye and DE Calais Campbell. Those additions were perfect compliments to the draft picks the Jaguars has made. As a result, they end up in the AFC Championship game despite having Blake Bortles at quarterback. Sound familiar?

Falcons
    The Falcons and Thomas Dimitroff hit on two elite players with S Keanu Neal and ILB Deion Jones. They also made valuable additions at RB with Tevin Coleman, DT with Grady Jarrett, and another big hit at ILB with De’Vondre Campbell. For Dimitroff, however, he was already building on top of a pretty good roster. But that’s what sustained success looks like. He has the most hits in this group despite being tied for the fewest total picks with 19.

Bears
    Ryan Pace and the Bears are a good comparison for the Jets. Pace was also hired in 2015 and the Bears were also in a pretty sorry state. Ironically, in the course of the Bears rebuild, Ryan Pace offloaded Brandon Marshall to the Jets. But he’s also hit on more draft picks than Maccagnan from 2015-2017 with 3 fewer attempts. S Eddie Jackson looks like he’s on a similar upward trend as Jamal Adams. He’s soon to be on that elite level.

We’ve also seen the success of two late round draft picks with RB Tarik Cohen and RB Jordan Howard. They both have helped support 2nd year quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, particularly now under Matt Nagy. On top of that, the Bears signed WR Allen Robinson, WR Taylor Gabriel and TE Trey Burton in the same vein on offense. As a result of those draft picks and acquisitions, and the massive Khalil Mack trade Pace hit on during this season, the Bears roster is closer to contending.

So, not only did Maccagnan not draft as well as those other general managers, he missed on more premium positions. Before the 2018 Darnold draft, he was 0/2 at QB, 0/3 at WR, 1/3 at OLB/edge rusher, and 0/3 at cornerback (I’m not including Charone Peake for or against Maccagnan at WR because he’s been mainly a special teams contributor). That’s 1/12 drafting premium positions. I debated whether to include late round picks in those numbers. But I decided I would because the fact is that Maccagnan has often passed up on drafting premium position players in earlier rounds, in favor of safe picks at non-premium positions. I’m also very tired of the narrative that anything later than a 4th round pick is a throw away . Here’s 19 players from 2015-2017 that are currently starters/significant contributors to their respective teams.

Keep That Same Energy
    We’re now in the second half of the 4th year and the Jets feel like they’re are stuck in second gear. Jets fans and writers constantly complain about game management, press conference energy, and coaching style when it comes to head coach Todd Bowles. And I’m certainly not saying the Jets should keep Bowles. He hasn’t fulfilled his objective of moving the team forward. But why does it seem like the main driver of the personnel decisions, Mike Maccagnan, is getting a pass at every turn?

I would argue drafting Christian Hackenberg in the second round is worse than 56 timeouts not called while on defense before a third and long with under 2 minutes left in the second quarter. I would argue throwing Lorenzo Mauldin (cut), Jordan Jenkins, and Dylan Donahue (cut) at a forever need at OLB for the Jets over the last three years, is far worse than all the times Bowles kicked a field goal in a blow out. Before this started in 2015, the consensus was that the Jets can only have a successful rebuild if they sculpt the roster correctly. Ignoring those deficiencies now is convenient and inconsistent.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I've been on the fence about firing Macc, but based on the above, there's got to be someone better. We have some decent talent, including a potential FQB, so let's not screw that up, and let's get a GM and CS in here that can develop them and add to them to get us to the SB in the next year or two, three at the outside.

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

At the time when the positions were open , the Johnsons had the wherewithal to obtain advice outside their org by hiring Charley Casserly to guide them on who he thought were the best qualified. This is the root of the matter.

This just makes for a larger list of who to blame on the way this team has performed the last 3 years. Which are the lesser of 2 evils: The Johnsons for asking advice or Casserly for giving it?

What decisions, since the Johnsons came into prominence, have they made to warrant them respect for the job they've done?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Urgh, to see the Jags take 2 players, the Jets should've acquired makes me angry. Can't wait to overpay Fowler and Bell!

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! Thanks for sharing this. Please urge its creator to send it to Chris Johnson and to the NYC media.

NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.
  9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Please fire this guy too!!!

Bowles is a goner there's no question about it but the idea of the Jets scapegoating Bowles, keeping MacCagnan is making me sick.

If they keep him with $100 million to spend he'll use it on other expensive busts like Trumaine Johnson.

He'll resign Leonard Williams and sign Jadeveon Clowney to monster contracts.

SALARY CAP HELL!

CLEAN HOUSE CLEAN HOUSE!!!!!

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Mike Macc and Todd Bowles need to go NOW.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

While I agree with you that they need to clean house there is no such thing as scapegoating Bowles. He is the principal reason for such a disgraceful performance. He must go now and should have gone three years ago. Mac is collateral damage at this point. Not to mention the fact that our clueless ownership will do the right thing and pick the right man at the helm.

12. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

They both need to go. Next time find a good GM and let him hire the HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Imagine if Woody didn't force Tanny's successor to keep Rex. We could've gotten Dorsey or Caldwell.

14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Top 5 pick incoming. I hope there are some good safeties in the 2019 draft.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why would that stop them from picking one?

16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

It’s time. Bowles has been awful. Part of the problem is there is no talent. Ok darron lee Jamal Adams Leonard Williams Marcus maye all contribute. Notice all defense. Brandon shell. Only offensive guy that helps. It’s 2018. Defense doesn’t exist anymore. Mac didn’t get the message. Fire him and do everything on the offensive side. Be like the chiefs. Give up 50 but out score your opponent. Only the jets. Boring team. I blame the johnsons mac and Bowles

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

What good is it to invest in a defense only then to give up 41 pts

Maccagnan lost me.

We need an offense minded FO.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

the 49ers find a qb who is undrafted and we can't even draft a center who doesn't blow snaps and can block?
    to say nothing about using other team's ancient cast-offs as backup qbs/mentor?
    it is the job of the qb COACH to mentor! brett favre was right.

19. mr nyjet

wow! you made a very clear picture of what we have not done in the draft. so did the bills today, and miami last week.

20. mr nyjet

and both will end up like calirbourne and johnson? no thanks!