As bad as I have seen in 30+ years, the way forward is..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Nov 5, 2018.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

No, but I've heard a number of defensive players who played for him say he's a good coach. It's easy to say those things when you're winning like the Rams are now. However, are the Rams winning because of coaching or because of talent? When Goff was a rookie, the Rams were as bad or worse than the Jets are now. If Macc does his job and gets some talent on this team, then maybe you'll hear some player say that about Bowles.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How much more talent did the Rams add last year? Or was the significant change in the CS? I think the latter, and that's why the Jets need to fire Bowles now.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Because the NY Jets are in the metropolitan NY area. I lived in NYC for a very long time. I live in AZ and it's easy, beautiful, I love it. If I was making 10 million per I would have an apartment in NYC in a second. It's one of the great places to live in the world. It's got more action than anyplace in the world and if you have money it has more opportunity for your wife and kids than any place in the World.

Why do you think Tom Brady lives in NYC and not Boston?

Ann Arbor is a great place to drink a keg and chase coeds. It ain't NYC and never will be. If you come here and turn the Jets into a SB champion you will be a legend.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

How many other NFL coaches have these defensive players played for? Who are they comparing him to?

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Best post you have written in a while Biggs..TY

the Harbaugh name is already big in Michigan and turning around a real loser in the Metro Market and sending them to a SB is almost a Hall or Fame script

And all the above is a really good pitch to his Agent!

6. ColoradoContrails

Saying he's a "good coach" is not the same as saying "Coach Bowles made me into a better player". I haven't heard any of his players - including his beloved ""D" say that.

7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's up there, but there are so many other revolting delights to choose from.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'll tell you why - Because Harbaugh is cut from a different cloth. He is a strange dude.

Most people would be perfectly content making $5 million a year being a God-like figure at your alma mater. Hell, that's the same situation where David Shaw is at Stanford, and he ain't leaving because he is a normal, sane dude. Harbaugh, on the other hand, is not. You know deep down that it pisses him off how things ended with the 49ers. He's going back to the NFL at some point. He wants to. I have no doubt about it. He's gonna want full control and he's gonna be an asshole about it but it just might work because it always usually does with him.

I don't think this will happen because the Johnson's are cheap with their coaches. But if they offered Harbaugh the farm and total control. He'd see Darnold and the opportunity at redemption in the NFL and he would come here. But like I said, I'm not getting my hopes up because the Johnson's are cheap with coaches, always in the bottom half of the league

9. ColoradoContrails

I think you summed it up perfectly.

But if the Johnson Boys want to "hedge their bets" and fire Bowles to satisfy the mob, but keep Macc to allow themselves to believe they're showing "patience", hiring Harbaugh could work out because he sure as shit would drive the bus on who Macc drafts and signs, and that would make a big improvement IMO. A guy with a priven winning track record is going to know a LOT more about identifying talent than a guy who was scout before he was a GM and who never had to work with the players he identified.

Short of hiring a Pres. of Football Ops - which I still believe they should do - this would be a good step in the right direction.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think he's wife actually loved living in SF. I'm sure she would sign on to NYC in a second. SF is nice but it's not nearly as livable or have anywhere near the opportunity and action NYC has.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Another thing is that coaching college football brings different job-specific expectations than coaching NFL. At Michigan he is expected to be the face of the University in many ways. When the library gets a new wing for example or a Graduate program makes some new discovery, they expect the football coach to sometimes attend these things or have something to say about it. His personal conduct is also very important to the board of trustees and all that....

Some guys like that, college coaching is less of a grind but requires doing that stuff sometimes. Spurrier for example, loved it. That's why he was a college coach.

Harbaugh HATES that shit and he is not one to want to listen to others in general, but especially for things like that. He loves the football grind though. In the NFL he can do whatever the hell he wants, provided his team wins on Sundays. That's far more in line with his personal make up. He will be back in the NFL sooner than later

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He is very happy, happily not getting hurt and earning 10m in the process, the final installment on his retirement fund, thank you very much.

13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Yes! They'll be on notice that jobs will be lost during the evaluation period that starts the day toilet is fired. Bowles doesn't hold anyone accountable, the players know he's a fuck up that should be a positional coach at best. Why in the world would you want to keep an incompetent head coach and blame lack of talent for his dumb decision making, him not having the team prepared, poor clock management, poor play calling, poor decisions in who he trusts on the CS etc.

The guy is a complete moron. It didn't take most on here more than 1 season to realize it. How Chris and Woody can't see it is beyond explanation.

As for lack of talent that fall squarely on Mac. He needs to go as well. I tried to support him early on but its clear he has no idea how to build a team for sustained success. He's had 4 years and tons of money to spend and blew it. Don't think for a second that Bowles wasn't in on many of these decisions either, it's a flat organizational structure, Mac doesn't have veto power over Bowles. Claiming lack of talent for keeping an incompetent coach is something only the coach himself would say.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yes I think so as I don’t think the talent is as bad as the coaching makes them seem. Now obviously there is still work to be done from a talent acquisition stand point but the cupboard is not as bare as they look and a good CS that understands modern day football would be getting a hell of a lot more out of them than Bowles currently is.

15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

They also had jeff F who became a bad coach … and it showed by his team play. Good at what- please provide all of us with examples of him coaching this team up ... or maybe you like to enlighten us a to his success with bi-week wins, should I continue? Talent accounts for some of the problems but not all - the game planning the last four weeks has been terrible and I have stated it repeatly the only thing consistent about this team is its inconsistency. That is bad coaching.

Oh BTW - name one coach that would leave a QB in a game that throws 6 picks.... you guess it Mr. TB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

when it comes to worst games over the last 30 years I find it impossible to pick favourites when there are just soooooooooooooooooo many to choose from - far easier to pick games you enjoyed and then it a much more manageable number

17. westiedog1

Okay, we fire Bowles and who do we bring in to coach?

18. ColoradoContrails

Promote Green or Dennison for now. I admit it's not ideal, but more the "lesser of two evils".

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

Darnold is who some of the fans thought would save this team because of his mobility and his pre-snap reads. I called bullshit on that right away. He developed bad habits at SC with poor coaching and lack of weapons. So he gets drafted here and somehow people thought he'd make chicken salad out of chicken shit. He had more to work with in SoCal. I agree with you, how the hell do you learn anything from a garbage coaching staff and no talent around you? Answer is you don't.

Starting Sam Darnold was a desperation move. Any smart staff would have kept Bridgewater and had him start with McCown helping groom Darnold. I would never put a rookie QB on the field with this flaccid offense.

Fire EVERYONE.

20. westiedog1

That's a temporary fix and the way I see it, going back to square one. How many times have the Jets done that and ended up in the same place? If getting to a winning season (in the end, that's what it's about) is a 10 step process, I think we're at step 4 or 5 right now. Now, I would agree that we probably should be at step 7 or 8 by now, were it not for some missteps by management. However, from my point of view, now that we have a good candidate for FQB, the way forward is less risky than the way back to step 1. Firing the coach, firing the GM, is a movie we've seen too many times before. A big fuss will be made when they announce the winners of the Jets derby. We fans will get our hopes up reading great reviews about our new saviors, but in the end there is no guarantee they will be any better than past Jet brain trusts. Sorry, not for me. I'd rather wait a little longer to see if the Mac/Bowles plan can come together. If it doesn't, then we can fire them and at least be sure it was the right thing to do.