The philosophy of Defense first is abysmal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 28, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Parcells was definitely a "defense wins championships" as were Groh, Edwards, Mangin, and the GMs they worked under were not real football guys, and took their drafting/signing directions from the defense-minded HCs.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

Again, it's not "all or nothing". You don't HAVE to take Beckham, there are plenty of upgrades over what they currently have without having to take on headcases and cancers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Parcells drafts were a hot mess and very defensive oriented. Groh drafted Ellis, Abraham and Pennington with our 3 ones. I believe the next draft which was Edwards was Moss, Jordan and McKenzie all O. Mangini 1st draft was LT, C, QB. All of those coaches were very balanced in their approach.

BB is a defensive coach. He drafted and built defenses around both Seymour and Wilfork. Groh, Mangini and BB are all disciples of Parcells. Parcells always had both sides of the ball covered.

Don Coryell was one of the first HC who was all in on the downfield passing game. It worked to a point. Bill Walsh had a great passing game but he also had great defenses to go along with it.

Look at the Packers. Aaron Rodgers is probably the most talented QB I have ever seen. He has 1 SB 1. Drew Brees 1. I give Sean Payton credit, he has put capital in Defense and running the ball and they are back in the hunt.

You can't do it on one side of the ball.

NCJetsfan, FJF and stinkyB like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

I never said that. What I said was if you're going to favor one side - and that usually happens - then in today's NFL you need to favor the "O".

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Different eras.

The game has changed so much from just a few years ago.

The NFL DOES NOT want defense they want points lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa points scored. Teams that throw the ball downfield are rewarded with plenty of baloney ilegal contact, pass interference, helmet to helmet, hit on a defenseless receiver etc. penalties to make their jobs much easier.

Defenses are not supposed to win. They're only there for show kinda like a heel in wrestling. That's the NFL's dirty little secret.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. Without an elite QB favoring the O is a decided negative. Without an elite QB you need an elite D followed by a running game. There are many O lineman who can run block but stink pass blocking.

The Jets personal department and GM passed last year on 2 QB's who look elite in both Watson and Mahomes. That has nothing to do with the coaching philosophy.

I would give Mac a pass on last year because he did two things this year to rectify it. He moved up and got Darnold and he made a great cheap move to get TB as insurance. If he's not right on Darnold it's over. If he is right on Darnold we should see it next year. The team is playing hard and competing and it's not that good. It is comparably better than both Cleveland and AZ who are also playing rookie QB's. Cleveland and AZ have much better O talent. It's not translating to wins...yet...

FJF likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I believe that in this modern NFL you don't even need a so called elite QB to win.

The so called franchise QB is a relic of the past.

All that's needed is a competent NFL QB, some skill position talent at WR and TE, good coaches that implement a system designed to take advantage of the rules.

Philly won it all with a backup QB last year. Tampa Bay had a early season league MVP candidate in Ryan Fitzpatrick before their brain dead coach benched him for a bust.

The playing field between the haves and the have nots (at QB) has been leveled like never before in NFL history.

8. ColoradoContrails

I think you're misunderstanding me. When I say "favor the offense over the defense" I mean you need to make it your #1 priority to get a FQB, or at least one who's close to that, and then add weapons around him in either case. That is Job #1...NOT going BPA-D as Macc has done.

You sort of make my point by mentioning the fail Macc had last year in passing on Mahomes and Watson, especially Mahomes. And he passed on them because he believed (IMO) that with their defense that they have invested so much in, a QB was an "optional" piece. In fact, I don't know what changed his thinking about QBs - did he finally wake up, or did the Johnsons order him to get a FQB? I do give him credit for betting the 3 draft picks to move up, but had he been a good GM he would've gotten Mahomes last year, saved his #1 this year for a stud pass rusher or OL, AND had 3 more 2nd round picks.

9. ColoradoContrails

I agree up to a point. If you want to simply make the playoffs, then you can probably get their with your formula, but if you want a SB, you either need a FQB (with weapons) or a "shut down defense", and I believe - as you pointed out - that NFL has basically made this animal extinct with the rule changes and how they're enforced.

But the focus HAS to be on building a great offense in today's NFL. Since the Jets have finally gotten their FQB (IMO), this task will be much easier if they don't f**k it up.

10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I agree with the balance of offense and defense is necessary, but honestly, I would take a great offense with a shitty defense in comparison at this point. I would welcome 38-35 pt games with an offense that is never out of the game as opposed to the offensive drudgery we've suffered through with the Sanchez, Geno, Fitz eras. Other than QB, the entire offense is so bereft of talent that an argument could be made to go BPA on offense with every single pick...

11. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Atlanta is also missing their 2 best defenders. The defense is never anything special, but missing Jones makes that defense terrible.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Defense [won] championships [in the past.] As in - back in 70's and older.

Miami Dolphins won it all with the brand new 3-4 defense in 1972 for instance.

Then came the 80's. With it came Bill Walsh, SF 49ers and the west coast offense.

The league has been swinging in favor of the offense ever since.

Will good defense win championships? Not without a championship caliber offense.

[Remember what/who caused all the old defensive maxims to go obsolete. Dan Marino sure had his hands on it.]

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes..been posting the same for months..

The tide of this stupidity has to turn

BTW Defense Wins Championships is hating your Post..ahahahahahah

#33 NYJetsO12, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Now there's a comparison .. two of the leagues premier Offenses with HOF QBs built in...lmao

ONCE YOU HAVE THAT Biggs then go get your Defense

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

DEPARTMENT OF PERSPECTIVE

Team Scoring per Game:

2008: 22.03
    2018: 28.69 (ytd)

That's a thirty percent increase folks. Could it be more clear where the attention needs to be?

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

2013 Denver Broncos, highest season point total in NFL history 37.9 average per game. Lost SB to Seattle 43 to 8.
    2007 Pats, 2nd highest season point total, 16 and 0, 36.8 average per game. Lost SB 17 to 14.

FJF likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post.

Not to nit-pick, but the Jets had 4 first round picks in 2000. Anthony "Hands of Stone" Blecht was the 4th 1st rounder.

18. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I think an elite defense (with an average offense) can win ONE SB but can't be a consistent winner over time. It's not the way to build a team anymore. Try to build an elite offense with a top QB and an average defense and you can be competitive year in and year out.

Too many variable for an elite defense to be sustainable.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

When Colorado says "favor the offense" he means getting a FQB and adding some weapons around him. He's been very consistent in that since he joined this forum. He's not saying favor the offense over the defense or over balance when we don't have a FQB. He's also been very consistent in saying that we need an edge rusher. If he was only about offense, he never would have said that we needed an edge rusher.

What Mac did this year doesn't "rectify" passing on Mahomes last year. Passing on Mahomes was criminally stupid, especially when you consider that he had to trade 3 2nd round picks to move up to get Darnold. What would this team look like if he had taken Mahomes last year? This year he could have traded up and taken Bradley Chubb. He could have traded down and added additional 2nd and 3rd round picks and wound up with 12+ picks this year or gained an additional pick or picks next year.

Following are a few players that Mac could have added this year if he had taken Mahomes last year and just stayed put at #6.

1st Round (any one of these)
    Roquan Smith, ILB
    Mike McGlinchey, OT/OG
    Marcus Davenport, Edge Rusher
    Daron Payne, DT
    Tremaine Edmunds, ILB
    Jaire Alexander, CB
    Frank Ragnow, C
    Billy Price, C
    Isaiah Wynn, OG
    Hayden Hurst, TE
    DJ Moore, WR

2nd round (any 3 of these)
    James Daniels, C
    Courtland Sutton, WR
    Ronald Jones, RB
    Harold Landry, OLB
    Mike Gesicki, TE
    Kerryon Johnson, RB
    Uchenna Nwosu, OLB
    Dallas Goedert, TE
    Connor Williams, OG
    Anthony Miller, WR
    Kemoko Turay, Edge
    Donte Jackson, CB
    Derrius Guice, RB
    P.J. Hall, NT

If he had traded down in this draft, he'd have had even more picks this year or additional picks next year. This team could have been set up beautifully just as it could have been in the draft where Idzik had 14 draft picks. Instead, because he didn't take Mahomes because of taking Hack, it cost the Jets big time.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If you are thinking 2000 Ravens, that's about the ONLY example we can muster in recent memory. Historic defense, meh offense. It took the date with destiny to win it all that year. [Giants literally had NO ONE to get hyped up for. So they hyped up this mediocre CB named JASON SEHORN. Remember him?]

==============================================

It used to be that:

With cover 3 deep, you were supposed to [be able to] prevent any deep plays.
    By breaking at the ball upon release, you were supposed to [be able to] stop any short and intermediate routes.

Enter Dan Marino.

Since his release was so quick, and this ball was so fast, that 'breaking at the ball upon release' means 'Offense will gash the defense at will all game long.'
    Not only that, but with the advent of fast, physical receivers, sending 4 deep will wreck any cover 3 deep. All it takes is a flick of the wrist. The defense had to adjust to this wunderkind.

I would like to know who in the defensive side of the ball caused this kind of fundamental, seismic change in strategy and philosophy. Maybe Lawrence Taylor, but that's about it. He let us know that we could actually rush the passer with the LBs. Will there be another LT? Not in this world any more. With the protection schemes becoming more and more potent and sophisticated, such a drastic shift is not likely.

Will there be another Dan Marino? You're seeing one in Tom Brady already, with many following the trails.

Defense first is so 70's. Bill Walsh was onto something when he built 49ers the way he did. He famously said: [It takes one good QB for the offense to be good. It takes 11 good guys on the other side.]

NCJetsfan likes this.