Observations of this so called football team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

The coaching staff is the weakest part of this team in my opinion. The Jets are young and should not have been expected to win this game, but the coaching was just horrific. The punt late in the 4th quarter down 2 scores is absolutely unforgivable. This is not a team that is 2-12 and playing out the string, its the 4th game of the season and Jets had an outside shot to score and get back in the game. A punt concedes the game, and a good coach will never concede the 4th game of the year down 2 scores with over 4 minutes left on the clock.

2. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

His catch and run to win the game in Cleveland in ‘10 or his catch against the Texans that year also. Who wouldn’t want to go through THAT again?

3. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Just got done e watching the Ravens, a team that:

-Doesn’t build through FA
    -Does build through the draft with picks that become what they are supposed to be

-Doesn’t have glaring holes through 3 different regimes
    -Doesn’t have 2nd year guys leading them
    -Doesn’t have running backs getting 50 yard receptions against them
    -Doesn’t have locker room revolts
    -Doesn’t comes collapse in 4Q
    -Doesn’t have a coach who despite being from NJ has a country accent
    -Doesn’t draft a QB and not have a qb coach, an oc who doesn’t have play calling exp and a mentor who hasn’t never mentored a successful qb

Was not this supposed to be us once upon a time?

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have to slightly disagree with you. For all his other draft acumen, Ozzie Newsome has failed to draft a top shelf QB for the Ravens.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  5. Stevied

Flacco is serviceable.. How many times over the years have we heard that we can’t be in a 10 score deficit late In the game because our QB can’t do it? Flacco is good enough for the that..Maybe not all the time, but he can bring them back, and if the defense Jan off it’s nkt crazy he could have a big game and make up for it

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Didn't Flacco win the Super Bowl throwing 11 touchdowns and 0 INT in the playoffs? That sounds like a success to me. Drafting a QB is tough. Flacco has been pretty good. @Stevied's point is obviously correct: The Ravens have been built well and the Jets are a joke.

7. Stevied

Thanks Matt Harvey! That’s been a few posts if mine you’ve liked now!

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Darnold was 17-34 for 160 something and a score against Jacksonville yesterday that’s a huge accomplishment with the worst team and coach in the league

SOJAZ, Doreblade and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  9. Stevied

Hate to say it, but baker has the it factor and gets folks excited.. Darnold is akin to Bowles in how he inspires folks.. We hear he does, want to think he does, but he doesn’t have guys running faster routes or to their max for him

10. NCJetsfan

I agree. That's why I said that I "slightly" disagree. He isn't top shelf, but he plays that way in some games, others, he's pretty mediocre. Prior to him, the Ravens QBs have been game managers or awful. That's the one failing in Ozzie Newsome's drafting imo.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Yes the Ravens have been built well. Ozzie Newsome has been one of the best and most consistent GMs in the game over the last 10-15 years. I said that I "slightly" disagree with Stevied. What part of "slightly" don't you understand?

Flacco may have thrown 11 TDs and 0 int. in the playoffs. You seem to know the stats. One career year doesn't an elite QB make. I just know that overall, he's been somewhere between pretty good and mediocre. He's played exceedingly well at times and pretty poorly at others. He isn't an elite QB by any stretch of the imagination. He plays at or close to, an elite level at times, but nowhere near that at other times. That is Ozzie Newsome's only failing as a GM. Prior to Flacco, the only decent QB he had was Dilfer who was a game manager and who was brought in either via trade or as a FA. The other QBs that Newsome drafted have been awful. Look it up.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I knew what you meant. Just saying drafting an elite QB is not easy. How many are there? 3? 4? Flacco has been good enough, so I would not hold that against Newsome.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe we can lure Newsome to be our President of Football Ops and build us a Super Bowl contender. :D

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

They were elite from 2009 until 2015. Terrible QB play/O couldn't stop turning over the football.

So far this year they put up little to no resistance at the end of games.

15. NCJetsfan

I agree that drafting an elite QB isn't easy. (He was hired in 2002.) There also have to be good QBs available to draft, and one has to be in position to draft them or able to trade up to draft them. In fairness to Ozzie, he didn't have the chance to draft many top QB prospects. Following is a brief breakdown of his 1st 7 drafts with regards to QB.

In 2002 Brian Billick was the HC. Their 2 QBs were starter Elvis Grbac (31) and Randall Cunningham (38). It was a terrible draft for QBs. David Carr was the #1 pick and Joey Harrington the #3 pick. The next QB drafted was Patrick Ramsey at #32. No QB was taken in the 2nd round. The next QB taken was at the 82nd pick in the 3rd round (our very own Josh McCown), and after that, another QB wasn't taken until David Garrard was taken at pick #108 in the 4th round. The Ravens picked 24th and took Ed Reed.

In 2003, Carson Palmer was the #1 pick of the draft. The Ravens picked Kyle Boller at #19. Rex Grossman went 3 spots later. Dave Ragone was the next QB taken at #88 in the 3rd round. Chris Simms went at #97.

In 2004, Eli Manning was the #1 pick. Phillip Rivers went #4, and Ben Roethlisberger #11. Baltimore didn't have a 1st round pick. Another QB wasn't drafted until Matt Schaub was taken at #90.

In 2005, Alex Smith went #1. Aaron Rodgers went #24. The Ravens picked Mark Clayton, WR at #22. That was the first chance Ozzie had to draft a quality QB, and he screwed the pooch badly.

In 2006, the Ravens #1 pick was the #12 pick (Haloti Ngata). Vince Young went at #3, Matt Leinart went at #10 and Jay Cutler went at #11. The next QB taken was Kellen Clemens at #49 of the 2nd round.

In 2007, the immortal Jamarcus Russell was the #1 pick of the draft. Brady Quinn was the next QB taken at #22. The Ravens picked at #29 and took Ben Grubbs OG.

In 2008, picking at #19, the Ravens took Flacco. Matt Ryan went #3 and then after Flacco, Brian Brohm was the next QB taken at #56.

So in his first 7 drafts, he mostly didn't have the opportunity to draft a top quality QB, but missed badly in 2005 by not taking Aaron Rodgers, didn't have a 1st round pick in 2004, and didn't have 2nd or 3rd round picks in some other years. I think he traded up in some years to get the players he drafted. Flacco was the 2nd best QB prospect that Ozzie had the chance to draft.

I'm not gonna kill Ozzie for not taking Aaron Rodgers. I'd take Ozzie as our GM in a NY minute. I'm not really beating him up for Flacco being his QB, just was pointing out that for whatever reason, that's been the probably the weakest position on that team. He's been excellent at finding great-very good talent at every other position except maybe WR. Maybe he tried to trade up for a QB in some of those other years prior to 2008, and the other teams wanted too much. In spite of their mediocre QBs, Ozzie had the team stocked with talent and with good coaching, they have been very competitive over the years.

#35 NCJetsfan, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

My perspective, and I think this is worse than yours, is that Bowles legitimately thought the defense had a better chance of making a play (scoring) than the offense. 100% serious here.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Ravens have also had 2 coaches in the last 20 years. Billick for 9 and Harbaugh for 11. The new CBA did a lot of things to the league that favors teams who have continuity. The key features of the 2011 CBA included changes related to health and safety, including a reduction in the number of off-season practices, a prohibition against training camp “two-a days", and a limit on contact practices in both the preseason and regular season. Installing a new program or scheme is much tougher since the new CBA went into effect. It also incentivized teams to cut vets and add rookies to their rosters because of their pay scale. It also changed eligibility rules for entering the draft. Younger players have been allowed into the draft process.

Teams have less hard practice and more players that have little college experience who have to be brought up to speed quickly. This is a huge advantage to established programs.

18. NCJetsfan

True, but in order to have continuity one has to have a competent CS. We haven't had that since Parcells or maybe Mangini.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think Mangini might be worth another look.

IBLEEDGREEN17 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't have a problem with the Jets considering him as VP of Football Operations, but am not sure I'd want him back as HC. For one thing, it would make the Jets look bad, and would start to resemble Steinbrenner and Billy Martin. I'm not sure that he'd even be willing to talk to the Jets about coming back. I think much of the fanbase would also revolt. He'd have to have mellowed and loosened up some. He was too secretive and anal. I'm not sure present day players would respect him as it's been a long time since he had any kind of success in the NFL. He hasn't gone back to the collegiate or position coach level and tried to rehabilitate his image or refine his coaching skills.

One thing is for certain. The stupid penalties and sloppy play would stop.