It starts at the very top of this organisation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Sep 21, 2018.

1. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Been on this board a long time and seen some highs but like us all too many lows. Last night felt as bad as any defeat for a while, the whole feel good factor erased in 10 days by a team mired by Ill discipline and negative / scared coaching.

This franchise has been in a reactive mode of conducting business for decades and needs to think differently in its philosophy re GM/ HC if we are to move forward.

I believe we do have a good QB in our grasps IF we don't ruin him. I also think Chris Johnson has shown signs of not being Fredo but being Michael .

However they now need to bite the bullet and plan properly for 2019. Identify the best candidates and open the possibility of allowing a candidate to have control of the whole footballing side of the business. If this means canning Todd ( pls) and Mac then we do so as the results in the last few seasons do not point to a dramatic upturn in fortunes.

Be it a Harbaugh , Sabin type who we pay multi dollars to ... We have to move away from this hiring of first time GM and HC in some uneasy power void where we "all get along".

This team has some good young players , a shed load of cap space and a bright young QB.

What we now need is the Johnsons to change their philosophy and spend big money on a HC / GM or both which will finally give us a consistent and worthy product on the field .

There is no guarantee its an immediate recipe for success but constantly hiring the same CV and presenting failure has to be met with change .

2. BIGREX

BIGREX Member

We we Smashing the Browns in complete Control of the Game ,and as per we Managed to sling it , This is the Browns I am talking about

Perhaps one of the Most shocking Collapses we have seen in many a game , Lord only knows what this season will bring ,tbh it is shameful

to have to sit and watch Week in week out , we have been a very poor team for a few years now , I see nothing changing ...

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Bowles got out coached by Hue Jackson... how much more needs to be said

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My goodness ..I went to bed with the Jets up 3 after they kicked the FG

Sigh..I knew it wouldnt last..

Cya Bubba Bowles ..there is a countdown meeting the with the Turk for ya

#4 NYJetsO12, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    CBG likes this.
  5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Chris Johnson said there was no playoff mandate , that this team just needed to show progress... this team is undisciplined and immature... they create far too many penalties that they simply aren’t good enough to overcome .
    I think we know what Todd Bowles is as a HC ... he’s terrible .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

At least it wasn't in our control that they got Mayfield and we did not. No comparison between the two. One looks brain dead on the field and the other is exciting to watch.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I really see a parallel to a situation years ago when Hess went all in to bring in a big name HC with a resume to back it up. I think we need another one of those moments where we actually start to manage this team like it really is in a major market. The next HC, and I'm hoping it doesn't take until 2020 to find him, has to have prior experience as a HC. Same for the GM job. We fucked up when we extended Macc and didn't get Dorsey, a proven GM, to run this organization. Macc and Todd I just don't think will ever deliver on a consistent basis and being an older Jets fan, I don't have another 50 years to wait on this team to get it right.

8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We are still in a rebuild. The only people that thought last night was a given were the same dipshits that were posting messages all pre-season about how strong our roster is and how we have the easiest strength of schedule. It doesn't matter about the schedule if you are #30-#32 amongst all NFL teams, you are going to lose more than you win. The Browns have a better roster than us.

We are not the finished product yet but, if discipline doesn't improve, then Bowles should be shown the door. 3 years of holding penalties, shit time-out usage and ill-discipline is too long without improvement.

Harpua and Matthew_McBride like this.
  9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

For the umpteenth time Chris did EVERY NYJ fan a disservice by reupping Todd & MCC :mad:

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Was Dorsey interested in coming here? [Because I seem to remember to the contrary.]

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I don't remember them even making a run at Dorsey.. Hard to believe he'd take the Cleveland job over New York but stranger things have happened.

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

IMO, jets going 4-12 would have to result in a change. Again, with Macc missing on as many picks as he has, means he too should not get a pass for the product on the field. IMO, 2019, with 100 mil in cap and a young promising QB would be incredibly enticing to any big name GM/HC option. Jets need to stop hoping bowles and macc are going to create a winning team, and just bite the bullet and cut bait.

Time for a change

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And he was out-coached by Gase last week. No adjustments, no creativity, lack of common sense.

14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Spot on. Blame Bowles for the lack of discpline and penalities. We are far from finished. Year two of a rebuild. It's three games with a rookie qb. Game one best player ever. Game two rookie bumps played well. Game three conservative offense and more rookie bumps. I'm not saying Darnold is the best I've ever seen but he'll be ok. Let him grow. Did he play great last night no but he wasn't the problem. The two picks came late in the 4th when he had to force it.

Robbie Anderson great story. Want to root for him. Undisciplined. Two costly fumbles the last two weeks. Game changers. Needs to hold onto the ball and learn a few more routes. Plus off the field issues. Need to move on from him in the offseason.

Crowell. Hard runner good piece but impulsive. Hopefully he learns. Made some poor decisions off the field. Seems to have corrected that worng. Think he will from this too.

Trumane Johnson. Great addition. First personal foul was a bad call. Shot to the head of Tyrod he needs to know better.

Middleton dropping the pick. There's a reason he's a safety but has to come up with that.

No throws above 10-15 yards. Way too conservative. I get it. Get the ball out quick. Good d. Myles Garret a game changer but they have to stretch the field so it opens underneath patterns.

Every game you can look at things and say if this happened etc. Last night there's more than usual. It's a game. Third game for a rookie qb. On the road. Three days after another game. As Aaron Rodgers says RELAX!!! At best this year we get to 8 wins. We probably won't get there this year. For a few reasons.

1. Bowles isn' t the guy to lead this teams. Undisciplined play. Year four same mistakes made in game.

2. Rookie qb going to have bumps in the road.

3. Going back to same mistakes. The second Mayfield came in it brought back memories of the Dolphins and Matt Moore last year.

4. We have better players and they are growing but it's not complete. Carpenter won't be here next year. Probably Powell. Skrine. That's just a few. We need an OLB. If Powell goes we need a true game breaking rb. Long term answer at LT. Etc.

There is reason for concern. Take a deep breathe. It will be a long year but it will be ok.

NYJetsO12 and ConcordeChops like this.
  15. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Why is it that all these great DC’s come here and have the same defensive results/Rex and Bowles? A good to slightly above OK D, that will wow 3x a year, tease for 7, get blown out for 3, countlessly fold late and never make a big stand o change momentum?

I ask because bowles had the same guys In Zona no? A cb, a tweener Saftey/LB/we have 2 in Lee and Adams/ and no stud pass rusher..and didn’t he have a much better unit?

16. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I wonder if the solution to hiring the right staff is to bring in a "head of football operations" like Jacksonville did with Coughlin. Clearly the Johnson family and their advisers have struggled to get a quality candidate in the past.

I'm trying not to have a hot take about all this, because both Bowles and Mac have done a lot of good with this team as hard as it is to admit right now. Has it always been pretty or worked flawless, no, but we saw what the potential can be on MNF. Bowles did purge the locker room and it does seem like everyone has bought in, now let's see how they handle true adversity.
    Mac hasn't done well in the one thing that he was suppose to be an expert at and that's scouting the draft. He has done well with the 1st round picks but not found players that can even stay on the roster with the rest of his selections. That said, he has been great with trades and acquisitions.

Clearly there are improvements that need to be made without question and I'm by no means giving anyone a pass here simply trying to play a bit of devils advocate. Bowles has to be accountable for the lack of discipline with penalties and has to address things like Crowell's immaturity, Crow should've sat out several series or the rest of the game after that celebration. But the real story here is Bates and his seeming inability to alter his game plan mid game. Again, I'm no apologist and last nights game is about as bad as it can get with play calling but let's see if a guy that's been gone from football as long as he has and especially play calling can adjust. One thing Chris Johnson was right about is what we are looking for this season being improvements, that goes for everyone at One Jets drive.

17. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

We won’t get first dibs on the gm coach combo. Cleveland will

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I feel you, as a fan of the Jets, Newcastle United and England (soccer) and as I am now comfortably in the second half of my expected lifespan I have come to the conclusion that I will never experience the joy of seeing a team I follow win the big one.

FFS to think when I got into the NFL in 1985 I could have picked New England instead but decided not to as the old helmet logo sucked :(

Brook! likes this.
  19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Huge part of it. Should've hired Coughlin for that. Heck should've hired Marrone when we had the chance.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Are we sure this is it, the owners? Look I’m nobody’s Woody fan..but he generally gives folks time and the $ to spend..And their haven’t been too many stories of him interfering