Kirk Cousins Turned Down $90 Million Offer from Jets

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Falco21, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Capt and Enterprise decided to land elsewhere..ahahahahah

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I was on Team Draft A QB because I felt that our roster wouldn't become a Super Bowl contender with Cousins.

4. Never wanted him.Not worth the price tag,didnt fit in w the plan already in place & might not be good enough to win it all regardless.

And this is all considering im a lifelong MSU fan & Kirk is the closest thing to Kurt ill ever see under center for Either of my teams.

NCJetsfan and zace like this.
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

It was already reported we offered him more than the Vikings. Nothing new here except maybe minute specifics. Find me someone who would rather have Cousins over Darnold......

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

There were plenty here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

joe and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

October 21st. Vikings at Jets. I hope the Jets players watch that video and do their best to prove Kirk wrong.

I watched the video. It was upsetting to see Cousins basically used the Jets to up the price with Minnesota. Mac offered him $90 million guaranteed when the negotiating window opened and he did not immediately accept, so the Jets had to know. It's pretty embarrassing, actually.

I wanted Cousins. I thought he would be a solid QB for the Jets, plus they would be able to use their #6 overall pick on a different position, and of course keep their 2nd round picks. They had the cap to do it, so I am happy they tried. Like @Falco21 said, it all worked out in the end, with Darnold now leading the Jets. Hopefully he beats Cousins October 21st.

Falco21 and NYJalltheway like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I wanted Cousins because I thought Darnold was going #1. But if I knew we could get Darnold, I'd never have wanted Cousins. So I'm glad how it worked out.

10. The Dark Knight

Technically, that was never an option. The option before Free Agency was sign Cousins or draft a QB with the #6 pick or potentially trade up. The majority assumed Darnold would be gone at #1 to Cleveland too, so he never was in anyone's thoughts. More like Cousins or drafting Rosen/Mayfield/Allen and that included knowing you may have to trade up to do so.

K'OB, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not sure why you think it’s embarrassing. Mac came right out with his best offer and moved on quickly when it was evident it wasn’t happening. Good job by Mac being aggressive but not obsessive and handling it like a pro.
    Now if he could draft better we’d be in business.
    And I was pro cousins. When you don’t have a qb you try to get one as soon as possible and he was the first shot at one this offseason. Happy about the way it turned out so far

12. Falco21

This is a correct response but requires some context.

Cousins was wanted by many on here, myself included, but only because the thought of having the best QB prospect in the draft was merely a pipe dream. Cleveland had the #1 pick and with all the talk and bad news with Eli Manning, I was expecting New York to take him also. If you had told me that Darnold would be available for us, I would have told Cousins to take a walk.

Yes Cousins is very talented, but he also comes with an enormous price tag. Now we have a potential franchise QB who is 20 years old. Someone we can groom from the beginning.

Safe to say, I'm very happy with how things ended up

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Didn't mean it in any particular way. Just saying there were many who wanted him on this board. Whatever their reasons were.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14. Falco21

Yeah I know, I was just pointing out the reason many wanted him.

Hindsight is 20/20 and in this case we came out on top. Maybe for once in the past 50 years the football gods were on our side again.

zace likes this.
  15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I guess what I mean is who would rather have Cusions over Darnold now, knowing what we know.....now.

#15 Ptflea2, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  16. The Dark Knight

Yeah, zero.

Just sucks being used for bargaining. Embarrassing for me since I followed it every day, hoping Cousins would sign with the Jets, when really he had no interest. At least the video makes it look that way. Cousins is smart though, and I respect his decision. The Vikings clearly are the better team with the better coach at the moment. Things change quickly in the NFL. Super Bowl or bust is a lot of pressure too, so we will see if he made the right decision. Jets fans are all happy to have Darnold now. Bridgewater and McCown too really. Signing Cousins probably meant neither of them would be here either.

Brook! likes this.
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Fuck Cousins and his God Squad.

New York would have eaten him and his faith alive. Hopefully that repression doesn’t manifest in the predictable negative ways for him.

PS - I hope he sucks dick in Minnesota.

(Drinking)

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Unlike Cousins who practically would have needed a gun pointed to his head to join the Jets, Darnold wants to be here and be something for this team. Cousins to his credit used free agency to make his money and that is cool but he didn't want to play for the Jets or live in the ny/NJ area just going off that video. So glad jets didn't sign him. Guy would have just been more about protecting himself and being healthy to enjoy the money over turning around this team and making them a winner.

Pretty bush league to leak out contract negotiations in a video like this btw. Seems pretty shady on Cousins camp to display confidential negotiations in a viral video like this. The 30 mill should not have come out officially in a video like this, seems like lousy trust between agent and an interested team.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mac didn’t get used. He made an offer, that’s it. Cousins didn’t rub back sayin minny offered me this. It wa all handled pretty well on all accounts. No reason to make this into another whoa is us jets fans thread

Ralebird and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm dissapointed