Sam Signs....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Laxg41, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Given how the Jets have seen tons of arrests or problems with the law this offseason, I get it but this shows some form of lack of confidence in Danrold's personality to have a safety net for him doing something wrong with the league. If you took him this high and scouted and interviewed and even had dinner with him, why now would you want protection if Darnold turns out he's a jerk or makes a mistake with the law?

This looks bad on the Jets IMO and I felt had this just been offset language that it would be on Darnold's camp for not getting this done.

2. Jets need to call Sexton’s bluff.He clearly has some axe to grind w the team just like w Fitz.Well fine..let either Mccown or Bridgewater win the job & suddenly Darnold has no leverage.From the jets perspective they can shrug their shoulders knowing full well Darnold will have to return to the bargaining table at some point or the Jets can trade him to the team of their liking..none of whom are going to give in to the ridiculous contractual demands.

If Darnold is serious about winning the job hes got another week tops..if he doesnt come to his senses or fire his agent hes resounded to a redshirt rookie year & losing credibility w the jets,players & fans.

LAJet, Cman68 and Leicester Jet like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The deadline to trade Darnold is in about two weeks. After that he can't be traded. And theoretically he can sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft in 2019.

4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I thought you were done with him.

Cancer and all.

FJF likes this.
  5. “Fine” is very vague.A fine for what exactly?A fine for tackling helmet to helmet off an interception is different than a fine for player conduct,a failed drug test or deflated footballs.

If its for player conduct or something construed as “mala per se” its hard to fault the jets.This is a very tumulteous society & perception is everything.Darnold is being paid handsomely to set an example for a team in need of someone to do so. A player conduct peril from Darnold could bevquite damaging to the jets & while im sure they doubt these things would transpire w Sam he is only 21 & money changes people.

Context is certainly needed but Jimmie sexton is becomming enemy 1B after 1A Bellicheat

6. Then take it 1 week & 6 days..if he doesnt sign ship his ass to JAx for Fowler 2 1’s & the #2 we lost. Have fun sitting behind Bortles in shit city if you even sign

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That actually applies to rookie contracts per the CBA. It's not a fine. It's a deduction from the first year salary. (Partial first year)

8. TonyFtLaud

It's standard language in all Jets contracts, not something that they are just adopting.

9. TonyFtLaud

Roquan Smith's contract actually has a void for exactly that, a lowering the head fine. That's the issue with his hold up.
    Darnold's issue is with non football related injury. Surfing for example.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

From all I have seen from Sam, this is pissing him off even more than some of the crazy reactions I have seen from a few Jets fans. He wants to play, he wants to compete, it is just his nature. Sexton, and whoever else is whispering in his ear, have made things get to this point. I still say it gets done soon and any upset fan will calm down pretty quickly, but when you are in the moment it can be difficult.

Brook! likes this.
  11. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Tony, do you mean the good ol' Aaron Boone clause? After the 2003 season, Boone blew out his ACL playing a game of pick-up basketball. Under a clause like that, the Yankees voided Boone's contract.

12. That seems like a seperate issue entirely..hes not getting fined from the league for catching a wave.

Theres gotta be some sort of compromise within that.If surfing is his #1 past time outside of football & even uses it as a tool of mental reflection within his development why in the world would he surrender that?Then again for guaranteed coin hes about to make hes be better off going sans board..and thats coming from an avid bodysurfer completely envious of the real thing :)

13. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

I don't see how he can re enter the draft. The only way he can play in the NFL is if he is traded or released. He can always go to Canada. The Jets could be pricks and let him rot, until someone offers something for him. This is pretty bad, we get the guy we want and now he refuses to play for us. I'm thinking he doesn't want to play for this team, this is his way to get out of playing for us.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Spot on. Manish of all people. This makes it perfectly clear that this is nothing but damage control by Sexton because he is taking such a massive hit in the media.

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

According to Cimini, that might be technically true, but irrelevant:
    The Jets haven't had a top 3 pick in the past 10 years, so technically they're not trying to do something they've never done before, but there have been 30 comparable players who have gotten contracts that supposedly don't include this language. That's why I said that if it's true this becomes the Jets' fault, not Darnold's, since this is not the time or player to start adopting a policy that no other team in the league that has had a top 3 pick has implemented.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

1984 onwards mate :(

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I just read all 5 parts of Manish tweets. This is about Sexton and CAA saving face. All Darnold has to do is tell him FU I am signing. This is all on the player not anyone else. If u does not sign in the next 24 hrs I am losing respect for this guy.

FJF likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It wouldn't be so bad if they had kicked out the TE for his DUI or what did they put in his contract after the horse had already bolted and canceled the contracts of the other offenders in recent months.

I don't blame them for wanting the chance to expel bad apples or try to get the players to stop being, pissheads, drug cheats, wife beaters etc but why start with Darnald of all players ?

19. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

"It's not bait," said the master baiter.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

They haven’t started with darnold. This standard for the jets contracts and 2 players lee and Williamson both have the same language and are represented by caa,Sexton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.