POLL: Who is Responsible for Darnold Not Being Signed?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralebird, Jul 27, 2018.

?

Who is Responsible for Darnold Not Being Signed?

1. Darnold and his agent, etc.

56.3%
  2. The Jets and their management

8.0%
  3. Both sides share the responsibility

17.2%
  4. Stokes

13.8%
  5. Brook

8.0%
  6. It doesn't matter much it will be done with over the weekend

11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What part of "that offset language" should he sign? I don't believe this is necessarily you get it or you don't. Should he accept 75% of the benefit or be satisfied with 25%? Assuming the final year is worth three million would you be willing to give up half of that? What if the percentage of offset benefit is determined by performance? Should he need to start forty games in the first four years to max it out or would thirty be okay? What about playoff appearances? Maybe a TD vs. INT percentage. I think a lot of people here are looking at this as a much simpler, financially insignificant transaction than it actually may be.

2. alngtheway

alngtheway Member

Sorry if I am misunderstanding how it is, but isn't the entire contract fully guaranteed? Offset language just allows the Jets to not pay him any salary he gets from another team if they cut him, so basically prevents him from being paid by two teams at once. He loses $0 with offset language, and only loses "double dipping $.

3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That's how I thought it worked, but I could be wrong. I didn't think they were basing it on incentives, I thought it was almost fully guaranteed regardless. Yeah, agents will be agents and try to get every penny they can, but this is only going to hurt Darnold.

As a rookie in the NFL he needs all the practice and experience he can get. It's not like Revis coming off an amazing year and holding out for extra $$$, he hasn't taken a snap yet, and every practice he misses could end up reducing his performance and could cost him a big money deal in the future.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

U No that Beli would've traded him immediately if he didn't sign by now.
    :mad::mad::mad:

NYJetsO12 and stinkyB like this.
  5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I don't get why this offset language is such an issue. If you're the Jets you should believe it won't matter cause you're keeping Darnold through his rookie contract anyway. Why be petty at this point? If Darnold's bad enough to be cut in three years, it won't be Maccagnan around to cut him anyway. If he gets hurt the Jets have bigger issues than being out an extra few million dollars anyway.

If the Jets are making a fair offer commensurate with what players around Darnold have agreed to then fine he should get his butt to camp, but I tend to side with the player on this one since the issue is on how much money the TEAM is out, not how much the player is getting.

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Determining the offset by performance is stupid...cause if he looks promising in his first few years there will be no need to use the offset because he won't be cut or wavered. This is all on Darnold & his agent. After attempting to get a contract without offsets failed, his agent should have told Sam to sign on the dotted line. Can't get on them for trying, but they never should have dragged it out to training camp. Sam...you tried, you didn't get it, now sign the contract and be in camp tomorrow!
    P.S....I hope this isn't a sign of things to come in 6 years when it's time to lock Sam up for a 5 year deal.

#26 BudJet, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Poll results are pretty damning.

Obviously, the only solution is to permaban Stokes.

Harpua likes this.
  8. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Darnold has the same agent as Josh Allen, and Allen told his agent that he didn't want to miss a minute of practice, and he'll sign even if the team doesn't cave on the offset language. No other player is getting the chance to double dip in the chance they are cut before the rookie contract finishes. Darnold and his agent don't really have any ground to stand on.

With that being said, if I was the Jets, why not just start this era off on the right foot and show your confidence in our new franchise QB. Rookie contracts are 4 years, and in the unlikely event that he doesn't pan out as a viable starting QB, I still can't imagine him not on the team any less of a time than that. If he sucks, and we want to get rid of him, the cap hit is still relatively small. If he sucks, we have a far bigger issue than the millions he'll still be on the books for. In that case, we wasted a #6 pick and 3 2nd rounders. If he doesn't pan out in the next 2-3 years, Mac won't even be the GM anymore, so what the hell does he care? He's tied to Darnold's success in his first 1-3 years, so why not make sure he doesn't miss a practice.

The way I see it, it's far more important to have Darnold at practice starting his career off right than to hold this petty game all in the hopes or not setting a precedent, which may have already occurred in the Fitzpatrick deal.

9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Both sides. But I really can't stand Jimmy Six-ton. He is not serving Darnold well here.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Mac is a fool because if Darnold gets cut he will be fired and it wouldn't be his problem anyway. The best thing for the Jets would be to have Darnold on the field from day 1, period.

NYJalltheway and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. forevercursed

Bingo. This is such an odd, Petty thing to be quibbling about. Very dumb and unnecessary. Both sides will end up looking pretty bad if this drags on another day

Really did not expect this from Camp Darnold or the Jets. Why ruin all this good will?

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

That's right..! Morally MM is right on principal but in the end who has more to lose?? I can't see SD walking the streets out of football job..somebody will pick him up even if he is only as good as Bryce Petty..meanwhile Mac is sent to palookaville

Like No Fly posted the Jets should press conference this to death and look like the good guys...but get him in here...greed and all I guess....ugh

13. Ralebird

This is not about the guaranteed money in the contract. The nature of a contract is that everything in it is negotiable. There are certain items that are governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement but to the best of my knowledge the offset is not one of them. The simple answer would be that there are only two choices regarding the offset (or double-dipping) - there is either an offset or there is not. Taking it a step further, let's call it three options - an offset, no offset or a 50% offset. Once we open that door, any percentage could be put in place or varied percentages depending on other circumstances including performance. These are the things I believe are delaying the signing rather than a simple yes or no.

#33 Ralebird, Jul 27, 2018
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yup. Even knowing Sexton was Darnold's agent, out of all the QBs I thought Darnold was the least likely to cause trouble.

15. Ralebird

With more than half of the posters pointing the finger at Darnold's camp one would have expected that Trojan Parade guy to have offered an opinion here.

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Trojan pride is a proud female not a guy. Don't hit on her or else. Lol.

17. Ralebird

Everyone here is just a name in the dark - man, woman or goat.

#37 Ralebird, Jul 27, 2018
    Brook! likes this.
  18. forevercursed

goat can only conjure up visions of one man

[​IMG]

jetophile likes this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Call 'em Jethro; let 'em have it.

20. Acad23