Revis Retires

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

We will miss the original Revis, not the one who rejoined the Jets to accomplish nothing!!!

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I heard Jets offered him a one day contract to retire as a Jet but he is holding out!

My opinion of him is that his greatness was too short for the HOF, although when he was at his best (3 years? maybe 4) he was the best cover corner ever. It took Terrell Davis years to get into the HOF with 2 rings, nearly as dominant a run at RB, and without all the drama. Revis was always an ass to teams/management and not the media, so they'll probably put him in, but he seems to be just as bad as TO was, just not as loud.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Thanks for your services

you were a pain-in-the-ass though

Brook! likes this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

As a Cheat. Repulsive, quite frankly. I don't have anything against Revis, I just wish the Jets didn't bring him back a second time let alone the first time at the cost. Thanks Al Davis, you a-hole, who essentially set the new precedent for this with JaMarcus Russell and later with Nnamdi Asomugha, who flamed out but scored a lovely wife and family and is living a very wonderful and wholesome life.

I've said it to negative responses before, but anyone involved in a contact sport who wouldn't try to shake down and milk their employers when one hit could be their last is not only a liar but a hypocrite. IMO the Revis debacle falls on the shoulders of the Jets FO who should've called his bluff and told him to take a walk and let someone else pay him. Sometimes one piece doesn't complete a puzzle.

Revis is a mercenary and only looking out for himself, see how I laugh. From an objective point of view, I can't see why people kill him over it, but sure, I'd kick him in his ass if I ever saw him just for the diner melodrama and also for being a lazy POS who couldn't admit that he'd lost a step the second time around. All that aside, I'll never forget Thanksgiving dinner at a relative's house when Revis was a rookie vs. Dallas. I kept looking over everyone at the table to the TV into the living room, basically ignored conversation, and finally said pardon me, excuse me. OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD. The Jets lost, but I was so excited, I almost ralphed my pumpkin pie.

#24 jetophile, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Pain in the pocket. That's the Jets' FO idiocy.

6. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

He had a Uncle pain in the ass agent named Sean Gilbert, held out during the first contract and missed camp but he was at. Peak performance and had 3 big years, then it was injury, trade to Tampa Bay, run to New England win a ring, get a monstrous contract and screw the jets jet fans and carry dogging it right up til the ultimate sit down during the Sammy Watkins game.
    He doesn’t deserve his number retired, no ceremony, give no.24 to a punter or a second string special teamer, I can’t believe his retiring is even News.

jacktucky and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

say what you want about revis off the field, but on the field in his prime for a good 5-6 years he was amazing and probably the best CB the NFL has seen since prime time and probably the best one the NFL will see for quite sometime.

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

What he said.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Fuck Revis.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Lol, Fuckin Mevi$ retired about 7yrs ago,

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Screw Revis. Possibly the greatest shutdown CB ever but he was a selfish jerk and should have saved the Jets time and money by retiring sooner.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Wow. So much negativity here. Yes, Revis showed his age (badly) in 2016. Many forget that his 2015 season was a very good one. Nothing like 2008-2011, but solid. Yes, he held out twice. The guy was the best ever at his position and the best Jet of all time. If you disagree with the latter you are lying to yourself through your frustration of 2016 and 2014.

I wouldn't trade the memories of his prime for anything. The pick 6 vs the fish on MNF that sparked a slow start, the Vincent Jackson "WTF just happened" INT vs. SD in the playoffs, the 9/11 pick against Romo...so many awesome moments. Those 2009 and 2010 playoff runs don't happen without him.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

If Revis' 24 gets into the ring of honor ahead of Freeman McNeil I might seriously consider rooting for the Saints from now on.

NYJetsO12 and RPOZ51 like this.
  14. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

That would have to be one of those dual Bill Dickey/Yogi Berra kind of things.

Since1969 likes this.
  15. Think id be alittle more forgiving of alot of the crap if his ring didnt come w the cheaters & i fully understand that he was traded there not signed.Just cant get past it

RPOZ51 likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

People were, rightfully, benching the usual must start WRs in fantasy play during that stretch. It was amazing to see Calvin Johnson in the sit em section of weekly fantasy columns. Those were amazing years .

All Gas No Shake, stinkyB and Ptflea2 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yawn I hope the door hits him in the ass as he leaves

NYJetsO12 and ukjetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. He is probably my least favorite Jet ever. Fuck him.

Jetphan73 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I literally can't stand him. He had two great seasons in 09-10, but spent his entire career, even the good years holding out or threatening to hold out. He was the epitome of the selfish athlete. He only cared about how much money he made. I don't think he cared about winning and was never ever a leader. How could he be with his selfish attitude and constant money grabs? When the Jets had locker room and leadership issues, he disappeared. I was thrilled when he was traded to TB - he was done then. Bringing him back was so disappointing and pointless. His career was too short for the HOF, IMO. I don't want him in the ROH. And to the person who said he was the greatest Jets player ever - Are you kidding me? Take the 2-3 years he was an elite player, throw in the holdouts and lack of leadership and constant contract distractions, and add in the horrible performance when he returned and what are you left with? I could name numerous Jets that were much much better for a longer period of time and were devoted to winning and the team - Namath, Maynard, Klecko, Martin, Toon, Hill, McNeil, Walker, Grantham, just to start. Notice how he did not thank the fans in his retirement announcement? Screw Mevi$

20. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Love him or hate him, he is the most talented player to ever wear the Jets uniform