Forum Sourced 53 Cut Down Roster Prediction - OLB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by themorey, Jun 27, 2018.

?

Which OLBs will make the Jets cut down 53 man roster (pick 4)?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2018.
  1. Jordan Jenkins

100.0%
  2. Obum Gwacham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lorenzo Mauldin

60.0%
  4. Josh Martin

100.0%
  5. David Bass

64.0%
  6. Dylan Donahue

44.0%
  7. Brandon Copeland

28.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

There will be a min of 4 OLBs on the 53 with a chance to add more in the final poll to select the last 5 spots.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Jenkins and Martin are chalk picks. Those other 2 spots could go just about any other way and I wouldn’t be shocked. I went with Copeland and bass

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Jenkins and Martin, think Bass will also stick leaving Copeland Mauldin and Donahue on the bubble. Donahue's DUI suspension could be the deciding factor for him.

blackssmagic and FJF like this.
  4. FJF

It was for me

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

That list just makes me sad.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think the Lorenzo Mauldin era ends. Great kid, but not enough speed, strength or talent to be anything more than a JAG professional. Copeland could make it ahead of Donahue and Donahue could possibly be stashed on the PS.

7. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Isn't Courtney Upshaw an OLB rather than DL? Or has he changed position since he was drafted? :O

8. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Jenkins, Martin and Bass seem to be locks IMHO.

James Hasty likes this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He started his career as an OLB but moved to DE and DT the past couple of seasons with the Falcons. If I remember correctly, he struggled keeping his weight down which led to the move.

Cidusii likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Depth chart is disgusting, but hopefully Jenkins steps up this year

11. FJF

It really is underwhelming,isn’t it? Jenkins just doesn’t seem like anything more than an edge setting Bryan Thomas type even at full potential. Great for a 3rd pick but not going to cure what ails us.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

None of those linebackers can win 1 on 1 on a given down, its very discouraging and I am worried. Our best pass-rusher is going to continue to get double teamed unless Nathan Shepherd or McLendon really look the part on passing downs.

Jets will have to blitz more using Lee and Adams. I want Adams to really take the next step in terms of coverage. Can't have him near the box all of the time.

FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Jenkins is decent - he’ll never be a pro bowler but he can set the edge and be a decent complement to the edge rusher we find next year ( hopefully ) . The rest of the names are not very inspiring ....this is an area in desperate need of talent infusion .

FJF likes this.
  14. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Hopefully the secondary can lock things down and create some coverage sacks or allow more blitzing. Leo had 21 QB hits last year...if the secondary can buy him a fraction of second he can turn some of those into sacks.

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Hoping Mauldin somehow looks like an improvement from his rookie year and can provide any form of pass rush. He could make for a good 3rd down rotational player. I really like his story, but unless he shows something in camp, he is going to be cut.

Realistically though this position needs more depth and skill. It hasn’t been really addressed much since Mac has come here. I think Jenkins is a decent starter, but we need a pass rusher opposite him. We seem to be obsessed with focusing solely on the D-line for what seems to be over a decade.

16. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

If coach Kevin Greene has any say so, Donahue will be here even if he had a little run in with the law.
    It's not the end of his character or career because of what he did.
    People make mistakes, whoopee.
    If he can play, he should be brought back. Too much is made of off field issues. It's not like a DUI is the seed of locker room cancer.

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If he can play he is in. He looked like he had potential before he got hurt. Maybe the incident propels him to turn things around and he gets better for it? It'll be interesting to see who emerges on that side; if somebody can get time over Bass on passing downs. My bet's on Donahue over Mauldin if anyone can surpass Bass.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I can't agree with you more.
    I kept asking myself, "Who is this Bass guy, and where did he come from?"
    Let's hope he skyrockets into a badass pass rusher. He moves around the field pretty good. I wonder if he can cover backs and TE's? That would free up either of our two young safeties to ball hawk more or blitz. Reason I ask is I didn't see him. I tend to watch the defensive line rather than the back 7.

19. It all comes down to finding that dynamic pass rusher. I think they finally got the DL sorted to at least be consistent & functional & the secondary looks to be a very solid unit. But this is all for not if there is not consistent outside rush.

Truth to be told,i think the LB depth chart would be thought of alot differently if they just had one dynamic edge bender.Martin,Jenkins,Bass, hell even Mauldin are decent niche players who can help in alot of ways.They just arent the one thing this team desperately needs from that position.

Walt White and TonyFtLaud like this.