Will the Giants really allow the Jets to draft Darnold?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Apr 21, 2018.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

IF the Browns take Allen and...
    IF the Giants pass on Darnold...
    That #3 pick will be between 3 really talented QBs (Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold)

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

They sure did. Thanks be in order for the retarded Giants.

jetophile, HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I never thought the Giants were drafting a QB since the end of last season. Can't believe the frenzy and all the dumb reporters that thought the Giants would take a QB, just so the Jets don't get one. The Giants made the best move to improve their team.

#43 Sam Hammer, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    stinkyB and FJF like this.
  4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I never thought the Giants would take Darnold so we wouldn’t. I think fans who think the Giants (or the Pats/Fins/whomever) do things to thwart us are morons.

I thought the Giants would take Darnold because IMHO he was the best player in the draft, the best QB in the last 3-4 drafts and would have set them up for another 15 years.

Harpua, stinkyB and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This is it. The Giants took a chance at short term success over long term stability. I think it was as very shortsighted move by their front office, but I'm damn glad they did it.

ColoradoContrails, Big Cat and FJF like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I saw it coming. The way it went last year they had to appease the fan base. I don’t think they felt that they had the equity to use the pick on someone that wouldn’t help immediately. Sort of the same situation Mac found himself in when he came aboard. I’d expect gentleman to get a pretty long leash if the biggest issue they have is Eli aging out

7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

They are totally screwed. Eli is in a clear decline and can't be salvaged. That division will be very difficult with the World Champ Eagles and Cowboys still very competitive and better top to bottom franchises than NYG in terms of scouting, drafting etc. Really they needed to tear it down after last year. If they stumble to to 7-9 or 6-10 next year it's going to make the inevitable tear down and rebuild that much longer and more painful

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Look at the NFC... the Eagles are an in-division powerhouse that just won the Super Bowl without its MVP QB, the Vikings are absolutely stacked and added a franchise QB, the Rams had a dynamic roster and a young rising QB and added Suh, Peters, Talib and Cooks, the Saints have an all time great surrounded by young talent, then there are the Packers, Falcons, and Panthers.

The Giants don’t stand a chance of coming out of that conference, but I’m glad they decided to make a play to win now.

9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

And while it's all quiet now, Beckham is unpredictable and selfish. Eventually he'll have a nasty divorce from the Giants

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's similar to what the Jets faced after they exceeded all expectations with Fitz's "magical mystery season", thinking they had more talent than they did. But unlike the Jets the Giants will still have a young, generational talent to build around, enabling them to re-tool their offense much more quickly.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah the NFC might be stronger then the AFC overall for the first time in a long time.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Feels like it's been that way for a while with the Pats getting to at least the AFC Championship game for the last 7 seasons. In the NFC, you have, SEA, SF, NYG, PHI, MIN, GB, ATL, and CAR getting to the NFC Championship game at least once in that time period and no team going more than two straight years.

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

These are the AFC versus NFC matchup records through 2016:

https://www.ryansleeper.com/50-years-of-afc-vs-nfc-matchups/

The NFC dominated in 2017, with a 41-23 record against the AFC.

You can see things go in cycles:
    1970 - 1971: NFC
    1972 - 1988: AFC
    1989 - 1995: NFC
    1996 - 2010: AFC
    2011 - 2017: NFC

I can't see any reason not to think that the NFC is going to continue its dominance for a while, until and unless Mayfield, Darnold, and Allen make a splash.

14. GasedAndConfused

the problem with the NFC was lack of consistency. they had good teams for a year or maybe 2, but no teams that dominated for a long period of time. When you looked at the AFC the colts, steelers, and pats were pretty much guaranteed to win 12+ games a year for the past decade (colts up until manning left) the NFC didn't have any teams like that at all. Now the eagles and vikings look like they could do that but still there hasn't been an NFC team really good for a long time like we had in the AFC. those 3 teams took up half the playoff spots for over a decade in the AFC. that never happened in the NFC

15. Sam Hammer

Best QB prospect in the draft, perhaps, but not best overall player. I would say Barkley, Chubb and Nelson were better overall players, but we know QB is the most important position. It makes sense what the Giants did. They will probably be decent next year, all things considered.

16. Sam Hammer

I feel like the NFC has been stronger overall over the last several years. The AFC is basically the Patriots and a handful of others that change each year, but NFC has larger quantity of good teams.

Br4d and FJF like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

the problem with why i don't see the NFC stronger is they never have dynasty teams. their bets teams change year to year where the AFC always had teams that dominated for years and years. the pats and steelers have for over a decade. the colts were when they had manning. that was 3 teams guarentted to win like 12 games a year for 10 years. the NFC never had that since the early 90s

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s because the nfc beats the hell out of each other while the Steelers and the pats fatten up on cupcakes during the regular season.

19. GasedAndConfused

IDK about all that. the NFC has been more balanced but none of the teams really stood out. both conferences have their share of shit teams that get beat up on. the NFC has a lot of good teams but no great ones that last more then a year or 2. the AFC has great teams that last.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It's going to get very interesting if the Giants draft a QB with their first round pick.

If they draft a QB and he's better than Darnold in the NFL, they will look like geniuses (even though they are on record saying they believe in Eli and think he has 3 more seasons).
    If they draft a QB and he's a bust....