2019 Free Agent Class looks weak (list included)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, May 10, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Since there is literally nothing else to focus on right now with football, I couldn't help but check out the list of projected 2019 NFL free agents on overthecap.com.

You can see here: https://overthecap.com/free-agency (click the 2019 tab and ignore that they included the years rookies)

It looks weak for offensive line and pass rusher in particular....I can't imagine the Cowboys letting Demarcus Lawrence walk and Clay Matthews is old. Offensive line features Ryan Kalil, but he's older as well.

I feel like we will be using most of our space signing our own young talent and maybe some mid level role players, might not be the worst thing but definitely a little bit of a bummer.

Let me know your thoughts.

NYJetsO12 and twown like this.
  2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This is an example of just how important it is to build from the draft... something I am concerned about judging Mac's track record since coming on board.

NYJetsO12, Catfish Billy, CBG and 3 others like this.
  3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

How about focusing on whether Teddy Bridgewater likes steel cut oats or poached eggs for breakfast.

That hasn’t been addressed yet.

:p

Sam Hammer and boozer32 like this.
  4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Diggs if the Vikings don't resign is imo a must get, he is a number 1 WR in the making and is basically Antonio Brown lite.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Saquon Barkley would be a good signing

: )

NYJetsO12 and Nesquik like this.
  6. Jake Matthews
    Taylor Lewann
    Cedric Ogbuehi
    Chance Warmack
    Donte Moncrief
    Randall Cobb
    JAdaveon Clowney
    Tyler Eifert

Most of these guys will be re-signed but not all.Any would be an upgrade we will be in a position to afford w.a shiny new QB as part of the sales pitch

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There's no way he doesn't get either re-signed or franchised. They have to justify that idiot deal they gave to Cousins.

BTW, OMG did we really try to give that money to that guy???

8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

We really have to focus on (any way we can) building Darnold a fortress of an offensive line this year and next. I don't think our line is piss poor as it is (and I'm sure we'll pick up one of those surprise cuts offensive linemen late in the preseason) But our receiving corps and backs are very deep and very versatile. We are lacking that one beastly playmaker but you can get by with Enunwa/Robby Anderson/Kearse/Pryor and maybe Herndon breaks out.

NYJetsO12 and egelband like this.
  9. abyzmul

I think the combo of a piecemeal Oline and a bunch of over achieving WRs is a building block, but the FO needs to get really serious about offense if they want this to work.

A signature signing or trade for a TE or 1WR or LT would be progress.

10. forevercursed

Well someone will definitely be out there. A year from now some player will surprisingly end up on the block, or have a falling out with an org...who knows, AJ Green, Mike Evans. Not necessarily them but someone of their ilk. When that happens we have to be aggressive and get Sam the tools he needs. I think in 2018 they're just quietly hoping he develops some lasting chemistry with under the radar guys.

This offense isn't where it needs to be yet but thank god the years of David Nelson and Greg Salas are long gone and buried. I love our speed and versatility on O, but we definitely need to round it out with some beastly players when we're ready to take that final step

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. abyzmul

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the key to everything is signing a guy from another team. I actually hate that.

One of my most favorite seasons was when Burt Favre walked in here drawing plays on his hand with receivers that wouldn't start on other teams and winning 10 games. I want a guy with that IT factor. Not a guy with the fake Sanchez IT factor.

Darnold screams the former to me. Maybe I'm only going to be content with Oline signings.

12. forevercursed

Sanchez was so not ready and I have no clue to this day why we reached for him (or Geno...or Hack) People like to say we ruined him. BS. He never had it. And he still makes the same mistakes he made as a rookie. Just bad accuracy, poor pocket awareness

Darnold is closer to Favre in his playmaking ability and going off script to do wonderful things (and some maddening things) but Darnold is also more cerebral than Favre. And while he doesn't have the arm strength of Favre he also knows when to take something off it to make beautiful touch passes

MoWilkBeast and abyzmul like this.
  13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Free agency lists a year ahead of time are pretty meaningless in the NFL, since loads of players are cut before they reach free agency (since the contracts aren't guaranteed, it's a cap hit issue, and plenty of times teams decide to take the hit to avoid paying someone). I expect that there will be plenty of linemen in the their late 20s/early 30s playing on their second or third contracts who will be cut loose, and while they might not be stars they can be solid starters.

NYJetsO12, LF911SC and abyzmul like this.
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Remember on Hard Knocks them trying to force feed him up the learning curve? It was a bad look, and in retrospect a bad plan from the start. Their infrastructure started coming apart in '11 but that's not an excuse for Sanchez either imo.

abyzmul likes this.
  15. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Our top areas of need will be DE/OLB, OL and WR. From what I can tell, these would be likely the top names that are scheduled to be available. Figure at least half of these names will be franchise tagged or re-signed.

Will be interesting to see how Maccagnan spends $50-$100 million.

DE/OLB
    Khalil Mack
    Ziggy Ansah
    Demarcus Lawrence
    Jadeveon Clowney
    Dante Fowler Jr.
    Shane Ray
    Shaq Barrett
    Dee Ford

WR
    Odell Beckham Jr.
    Brandin Cooks
    Kelvin Benjamin
    Devin Funchess
    Randall Cobb
    Golden Tate
    Rishard Matthews

OL
    Duane Brown (LT)
    Jake Matthews (LT)
    LaAdrian Waddle (LT)
    Ramon Foster (LG)
    Rodger Saffold (LG)
    Andy Levitre (LG)
    Ryan Kalil (C)
    Brett Jones (C)

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I agree with the first part, not necessarily the second. If you stack Mac up against the rest of the GMs in the NFL with the draft specifically, it is hard to say he is a clear bottom feeder. I actually think his approach is quite measured, reasonable, and methodical. Mistakes have been made, but this is true of every GM in the NFL. There is no team in the league that cranks out perfect drafts year in and year out.

Hackenberg is the most glaring mistake made, but you can at least understand the thought process, and appreciate that Mac didn't put all his eggs in the Hackenberg basket. This in comparison to John Idzik who basically took the "LOL I got a franchise QB in the second round!" approach. Geno came in with only Sanchez to compete with, and Rex successfully sabotaged Sanchez in the 4th preseason game. And who said Rex and Idzik didn't work well together?

There are other mistakes such as trading a 5th rounder for Magic Candy Robinson. The Jets have certain attributes and skill sets they target and you can see the team making reasonable efforts to get people there.

Personally, I'm most concerned with Mac's offensive line philosophy. This, to me at least, feels like his Achilles heel. I get that the offensive line talent in the past two drafts hasn't been spectacular, but teams with quality offensive lines do well, and teams that do not have that struggle.

Still, I'm overall happy with the job Mac has done to date. It hasn't all worked out but that is true for most teams. The team is trending up, and that is a positive sign for the job our GM is doing.

LAJet, abyzmul and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

How is it this team has not had an OLB that could rush the passer since John Abraham ? Just amazing, that they have not filed that void in all these years!

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The most cerebral thing Favre ever did was send frank and beans pics to Jenn Sterger. Yes, I saw them, and I'll never be able to unsee them. They deserved each other, to be clear. Anyway, it was just another hilarious day at Jets World.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

It'll get bigger though. some talented players become cap casualties and replaced with younger cheaper players.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  20. abyzmul

Well, when you keep hiring defensive masterminds at HC, who really needs a pass rusher?

Amirite?

stinkyB, xxedge72x and CBG like this.