I think Teddy starts all 16 games...(Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, May 4, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Exactly. He decided not to throw at the combine so everyone assumed he’d blow away his pro day and when he chose not to wear gloves like always his pro day was a disaster.

But there hasn’t been many QBs in the last 5-6 years as pro ready as he with his experience in Watson’s pro style offense, full field progressions, defense reads and call at the line, autonomy to audible out of any play, under center snaps, 3-5-7 step drop backs, starting 38 out of 39 games, extremely high football and QB IQ.

Just doesn’t have a strong arm and is frail. But the definition of “pro ready” if there is one.

NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. Rollo Tomassi

Pro ready doesn’t mean good or great or should start day one.

Just means is more ready than someone else to start day one- not better.

I think Darnold is a better QB than Rosen but I think Rosen is more pro ready given his ability to read defenses, move DBs with his eyes, ability to go through progressions, impeccable mechanics.

Just like I think Darnold is a much better QB than Bridgewater but Teddy was more pro ready coming out of Shawn Watson’s offense at Louisville than Sam coming out of Clay Helton’s Offense at USC. Teddy coming out of college was better pre and post snap determining what was going on around him than Sam but Sam is eventually going to be a much much much better QB. Better arm, more athletic, more durable. Both are great leaders but Sam’s a better physical specimen.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Pretty much, its a great opportunity to get to know the prospect face to face, perhaps answer a few questions. I am sure there are some teams regretting passing on him.

4. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Why do fans care so much about this guy? He isn't going to be here past 2018 no matter what he does on the field, if he even sees the field.

Sam Darnold is the QB of the future, whether Bridgewater never takes a snap in a Jets uniform or whether he goes 10-6 and loses in the Wild Card round.

5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Pro ready certainly doesn't mean people sour on you, question your ability to play in the NFL, question your ability to take hits in the NFL, question your arm strength, etc. etc.

Yeah, lol. I have no idea what it means.

6. 101GangGreen101

I was very disappointed in Teddy's pro day, I was a huge fan of him in college and his bowl game against Florida was bananas .... agreed, your criteria matches a QB ready for the pro level.

7. Rollo Tomassi

By your response, it still appears quite evident you do not.

8. Rollo Tomassi

No one is disputing Darnold is the future, that he’s much much better than Teddy and that Teddy won’t be here next year and maybe not even this year.

We’re having a slightly different discussion. Plus it’s offseason and mini camp is done and OTAs don’t start for a while.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That alone won't do it, but it certainly helps, puts them one leg up on others who haven't, otherwise, there wouldn't be the knock against QBs who played in spread offenses. Also, that, in conjunction with having talent, lots of starting experience, having a high football IQ, making smart decisions, being a leader, being able to read Ds, being able to command a huddle, being accurate do. Those were all things that Teddy possessed. Darnold has some of them, but not nearly enough experience.

10. NCJetsfan

I can't speak for everyone, but I know that several of us loved Teddy when he was at Louisville and wanted the Jets to draft him. He's a very smart QB, has sound mechanics, reads Ds, is a great leader, is very accurate, and has great character. He just isn't big or have a cannon for an arm. He's also a great story coming back from that horrible injury. Many, if not most people would have packed it in and called it a career with an injury like that. You have to respect and admire a player like that. What's not to like or root for?

11. NCJetsfan

There's a very good piece of wisdom that you need to commit to memory and adhere to. " The first law of holes, or the law of holes, is an adage which states that "if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging". Digging a hole makes it deeper and therefore harder to get back out, which is used as a metaphor that when in an untenable position, it is best to stop carrying on and exacerbating the situation."

12. MurrellMartin

Okay.

There is no chance that Bridgewater would put up the type of numbers the OP suggested, so it isn't even an issue.

If he does by some miracle, tag and trade. I guess.

13. Rollo Tomassi

This tread has been merged half a dozen times. I wasn’t responding to that OP because, no Teddy won’t achieve those numbers. And I like Teddy but there is simply no way.

I was responding to one of the other OPs that said if Darnold doesn’t beat out McCown and Teddy day 1 then we picked the wrong guy, that he’s another Sanchez. I said that was a tad unfair because McCown is a seasoned pro (albeit not a very good one) and Teddy if healthy is also a professional QB so it wouldn’t shock me if either McCown or Teddy started the first few games giving way to Darnold. Then some kid made a silly comment that Darnold was more “pro ready” than Teddy coming out of college which is patently false.

Gets confusing with all the merged threads but it’s better than the seemingly daily Teddy threads being started.

14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the insistence by some of you that Darnold must start games this year.

Some recent NFL FQBs who didn't start any games their rookie years: Phillip Rivers, Daunte Culpepper, Chad Pennington, Carson Palmer, Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady

Why is letting the guy sit for a year or two so bad?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. MurrellMartin

Take a look at the list. Who was the most recent of those Quarterbacks? Rodgers?

That said, no one should be persistent that he plays, but that's just the nature of today's NFL. If you show any glimmer of hope and your team stinks, you're going on the field to try to turn around the organization.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I guess "recent" is a matter of perspective. I still consider 1995 recent, but some folks don't consider 2015 recent.

Doreblade and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Rollo Tomassi

Ahhh guys, Jared Goff sat for 9 games his rookie season. He couldn’t beat out Case Keenum (the old jag Keenum). Was Goff the “wrong guy”?

He was the FIRST overall pick in 2016 after the Rams TRADED UP to get him.

The Rams traded MUCH more than the Jets did to get Goff (granted from 8 to 1 but still):
    • 2016 Round 1 pick (No. 15)
    • 2016 Round 2 pick (No. 43)
    • 2016 Round 2 pick (No. 45)
    • 2016 Round 3 pick (No. 76
    • 2017 Round 1 pick (No. 5)
    • 2017 Round 3 pick (No. 100)
    Goff made the Pro Bowl in his second season.

So what am I missing here?

#157 Rollo Tomassi, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Doreblade and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

This. If Sam shows capability of all summer, I won't be mad if he's out there WK 1.

19. 101GangGreen101

Jeff Fisher.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Todd Bowles.