Drafting Darnold at #3 did one thing for sure....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, May 1, 2018.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Bates has been an OC before.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. legler82

The chances that Sam can start game #1 are as good as any but the chances of him lighting it up are slim.

tbruner12 likes this.
  3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

This was a joke. Thought the smilie face made it obvious?

CotcheryFan likes this.
  4. legler82

Darnold doesn't have to be "too good"; he just has to be as good as or better than anyone on this year's depth chart, which is not that hard to do.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Darnold should sit the entire year. We have a tough schedule, if we suck so be it.

Top draft pick, that we could potentially flip for more and tons of cap next year. Give Sammy the job in 2019.

6. legler82

Once the NFL regular season starts, the starter gets most if not all the practice reps; practice reps are as important to a young QB's development as game reps if not more. While not impossible, it's very difficult to "develop" in such an environment. So short of having an incumbent pro-bowl caliber starter, it's hard justifying not starting your high draft pick rookie QB. This, of course, is provided said rookie knows enough of the playbook to be able to communicate to the offense as well as execute the given week's game plan and can perform all the ball handling can footwork requirements. I'm very confident Darnold will be "ready" from that standpoint. I've said countless times any OC worth their weight in salt can get any of these top QBs ready Day 1. It's all about what you are asking them to. If Darnold does not start the season, it will have less to do with his "readiness" and more to do with Bowles and organization's. Starting Darnold shifts the season's primary objective from the usual "trying to win as many games as possible" to "trying to develop our future FQB". It's a hard ask of a HC who is essentially on a one year deal. However, if the motivations within the organizations from top to bottom are aligned, it should not be a problem.

7. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i hate this post for so many diverse reasons, I won't even bother replying with anything substantive.

8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Makes sense. My worry is that the only way we can screw this up is to play him too soon. I don't want that to happen. There's less risk having him sit, than having him play this season. That said, other factors play into it. McCown's play is a factor. Bridgewater too. If Darnold is wowing everyone in practice he should get an opportunity but I for one, am willing to wait.

9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this. If Darnold shows, even at at partial piece of the puzzle that he can handle what's asked of him he should and will play/start right out of camp. And I'm pretty confident he can. He's ahead of Prescott, etc should be able to.

Only thing I don't agree with is if he doesn't start immediately, he gets plenty of snaps as the back up QB. It's not a case where he hardly gets any or gets none.

10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Sam is not in competition with Teddy & Josh. He will play when he's capable. They're not going to say
    He can't start because Josh is better, they're going to say he's not ready. If he starts it's not because he's
    Better than Josh it's because the CS think he is ready to play. So it's not an open competition it's Sam vs. Sam.
    What I like that CS said was they weren't going to throw him to the wolves right away.....but they weren't going to hold him back either

LF911SC likes this.
  11. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

I hope to God he's improved as an OC since his stint at USC.

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

darnold is 20 iirc. he is young, he should have stayed another year at usc and i am confident the jets will use their kids gloves with him. that said i could see him in the lineup for the last 4-6 games of the year. then again it took injury to get anyone in last year and they chose the wrong guy to put in there.

the next point, the coach is a clown. he just may have bought himself some time, i didnt think he should have gotten this year but well these are the jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Actually one of the easiest schedules in the NFL this year

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

15. legler82

I'm hoping he improved since Seattle as that was more recent and it was the NFL.

TrojanPride likes this.
  16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am against starting Darnold this year. Not because he is a rookie.

Ultimately, Jets OL did Sanchez in. Current Jets OL is pretty much a joke. Darnold will do us no good on a hospital bed rehabbing if anything.

17. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

He needs 4-6 games this year at least. Just to get that experience and game tape to spend a full off season working for a being a Jet.

However, if he lights up TC then send him out week one.

Even if he misses a few weeks at the start, he'll be learning from Josh or teddy on how to prep for a nfl gameweek.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. legler82

Without going into further detail in fear of derailing this thread as the name of Sanchez always does, the OL did NOT do Sanchez in. Other factors including and not limited to his play did that. Note I'm not a Sanchez hater, which means I'm a Sanchez apologist in the eyes of many Jets fans.

FJF and stinkyB like this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ Sorry tb12 but I call bullshit on this. . This is nothing more than "for the good of the 'TEAM' lip service" that's been cluttering up threads since the draft.

There are a lot here (e.g. those who "liked" your OP) who are half-hoping Darnold shits the bed so you all can be 'right' and continue pining for the Rosens & Mahomes that 'got away' and trolling the boards with more negative lip service dressed up as "hoping and praying."

Darnold could go off to Tibet for a year to learn the playbook for all I care if it means 15 years of playoff relevance. . Another thing to consider:

The Jets' current roster isn't tied up with over the hill vets nearing the end of their rope so there's time and room to build around a QB, esp. one who's only 20 years old.

On the other hand, the moment Tanny drafted Sanchez, the small window was closing and it eventually slammed shut in 2011 because Tanny failed to build depth or replace the aging vets with talent.

Or, . read it and weep v v v .

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...head-over-heels-for-sam-darnold-then-agonized

FJF and Walt White like this.
  20. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Again it's simple, any one who has ever ayes any sports at any level can surely understand that playing gets you more ready to play than watching.
    I'm sure Sam will catch up to the speed of the game quicker by getting his feet wet, rather than the stand around approach you apparently agree with.
    Peyton Manning hit the field day one and sucked big time year one, how did he work out?
    Brady was forced into playing, how did he work out as a guy buried on the depth chart.
    Hate my opinions all you want, it's your right. But there is no way to deny the fact that a hands on approach is better than what you agree with.
    He is more athletic than McCown, and Teddy may not be ready to play still. If Sam can play ahead of those guys, he should. Standing around does what for the franchise and rebuild? So rather than play, he should watch until everything is perfect, O-line, etc.....? Silly
    So yeah, coddled works as the correct term.

ColoradoContrails likes this.