As a fan; I'm relieved.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Apr 30, 2018.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

1.A) "Suck for Sam" really happened?

1.B) We drafted our Franchise Hopeful QB in Sam Darnold?

2.A) We'll have the most NFL cap space of any team come next offseason (or at least top 3)?

2.B) We still have our 1st Round Draft Pick come next years draft?

Is this the New York Jets we're talking about? Say it ain't so.

Which imo was and still is the beauty of moving up from 6 to 3. The fact that we kept next years 1st. Macc deserves a tip of the ball cap.

Next years 1st can now be used for another offensive weapon for Darnold. A Franchise Left Tackle. A true outside #1 WR .A game breaking HB. Etc. Options. Multiple avenues can be taken.

I'm relieved that we went offense 2018 with our 1st round pick. Long overdue.

It may not happen in one or two offseasons but who knows. Maybe the drafting of Sam Darnold starts a Front Office Culture Change?

Where we begin to see our G.M & H.C load this offense around Sam Darnold with a Franchise LT, a #1 WR, a Dynamic and Explosive HB, a Game Changing TE etc.

And what if Sam Darnold himself is a big draw for N.Y as an attraction... for future top tier Free Agents? Did you all see the reaction of Leonard Williams? He went big kid crazy running around his living room.

When CLE took Mayfield i laughed. I spoke bad of Mayfield all offseason.

When NYG took my dude Barkley i was excited. Won't be in my division. Or conference. And was gone before 3 ala didn't have to see my team "pass" on my favorite prospect.

And right then and there. I realized. It's about to be between Darnold/Rosen and hopefully not Allen. I instantly said a Hail Mary we that we take Sam Darnold. How COULD WE NOT DRAFT DARNOLD A.K.A SUCK 2017 FOR SAM?

I was relieved and still am.

Pound for pound.
    Hands down.

N.Y just selected the #1 QB prospect.

CLE just settled for the flavor of the month. But it's the Browns. What do you expect?

Manzel failed so they wanted another crack at a small mobile QB. Our Front Office wanted an NFL pocket passing quarterback with better than ideal size.

And, the end. That is all.

HAYN, NYJetsO12, dawinner127 and 10 others like this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm ready to fast forward to next years offseason. One goal in mind.

"Build around Sam".

Questions for you NFL & NCAA draft junkies.

1.) Top 5 potential NFL Free-Agent WR's/HB's/LT's/TE's who could hit the Free Agency market?

2.) Top 5 LT/WR/HB/TE NCAA prospects for each position for class of 2019?

boozer32 and egelband like this.
  3. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I give Mac a lot of shit, some tongue in cheek and some honest. But trading up and nabbing Darnold really is a potential franchise changer and that deserves credit.

Sam is everything I could ever want of a face of the franchise, I was so wrong about him not being the right personality for New York . He is in fact the perfect personality for New York

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

As a Jets fan, I have been super ecstatic before, and all the moves appear to be the right ones that Mac is pulling off...And right from the onset Sam looks like he is a real gamechanger not only as a QB but as a athlete off the field. I will reserve my complete excitement until he plays some, but I feel optimism and tons of positivity with this move.

The type of move that changes the dynamic and stigma of a franchise...We don't need to always chase down the next Joe Namath, but have a kid who one day people will say "Who is the next Sam Darnold?"

FJF and MoWilkBeast like this.
  5. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Would you consider benching Sam for the year until the Jets o-line is more reliable? (Assuming it’s not, as currently constituted). Or is that a ridiculous suggestion? Just sending up a balloon here.

6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on imo. There's a lot of times this franchise has made the right sort of moves and it just hasn't worked out. And there's a lot of times they've made head scratching moves too. It is the same for every franchise. When you make a move like this and it pans out everything is great, but you have to accept that a fair number of times you will miss. It's frustrating as a fan but it doesn't make it the wrong move. I'm excited and optimistic about the future, but cautiously so.

Poeman likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That's exactly what they should do. The kid needs to work on a few things from what I've read and the Oline has to learn how to execute the new "zone-blocking" scheme being implemented. No reason to put him out there initially but there's no reason to give him the Hackenberg either since we've been told Darnold has far more talent. Patience shouldn't be limitless but initially, its best that Darnold spends 2018 on the sidelines unless McCown gets broken at some point considering he is 39.

As a fan, I'm in "wait and see" mode. Seen far too many crash and burns. If this franchise has turned the corner? great. If not, there's always 2019, 2020.....

TonyFtLaud, egelband, twown and 2 others like this.
  8. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

They will go into camp with josh as the starter and intend to keep darnold on the bench until he is the better qb so by like mid June

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I was listening to SiriusXM this morning and a Dullphins fan called in to talk about their draft. He was happy with what they did because they made "sure" picks and filled out the roster. When asked if he would've taken Rosen had he fallen, he said no. Then he proceeded to call out the Jets specifically as a team doing it the "wrong" way, due to trading away picks and "gambling" on a QB. Well Mr. Dolphins fan, you should know this with your JAG QB, but I could not disagree more.

Look back at our 2014 draft. Twelve picks; beginning with a "can't miss" safety, followed by a freak athlete TE. Sound familiar Mr. Dolphins fan? What did that amount to?

He has a point that QBs in the 1st round fail at an alarming rate, and that they are indeed a gamble. What he does not also point out is that 1st round QBs also have a significantly higher hit rate than any other round, AND other positions are a gamble as well. Nothing is sure in the NFL.

The Jets have been filling out the roster for years, riding the mediocre train this entire time. Look at the last time we drafted a QB. Hindsight tells us Mark Sanchez was an unquestionable bust. However, we got two AFC championship appearances out of that bust. He played average NFL QB football during those two seasons, and supported by a good roster overall we got to enjoy that experience, including the thrill of beating Manning and Brady in back to back weeks in the playoffs. We got that out of a young, average at the time, ultimate bust of a QB.

If you can do all that with Mark Sanchez, what can you do with a true franchise QB? Maybe ask the Packers, the Eagles, and others. The closest thing to 2009 and 2010 Mark Sanchez today is Blake Bortles. How's that going? QB is so important, and drafting one is the only way to secure one who isn't a pedestrian journeyman. Perhaps Mr. Dolphins fan is jaded since his JAG QB hasn't worked out as intended.

Quite happy that the Jets traded those picks away and got us a QB. Hoping that Sam Darnold is not a JAG and that we finally get to end the drought of playoff appearances. The team may need one more mediocre season to truly be ready to compete and I'm ok with that. We're moving in the right direction.

10. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

all in all I'll say I am pretty happy with our selections. I was hoping for some OLINE in the draft but if the Jets didn't feel a player they valued was there, I am OK with them not taking one to take one.

Looking at our offseason in general, I think it appears more and more likely the Jets are planning to sit Darnold in 2018. If we really planned to play him from day 1 or earlier in the year, removing late season games, I think we'd have see more focus on the oline in pro free agency. It seems to be utterly unavoidable that we focus on this next offseason and go after the prime free agents.

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

shocking. A Dolphins fan disagrees with what we did. I would have tuned out the moment he said they took 'sure' picks. There is absolutely no such thing, and everyone even the most casual NFL fan knows this. Shoot not even Darnold is a sure thing, but you can make a pretty solid educated guess he's going to be very good. I'd be bitter too if they traded a few 2nds to move up for Darnold, all while keeping their 2019 first.

I've gotta say, the Dolphins fanbase are among the most idiotic in the league. Every single year they claim they have sure things and are on the brink of breaking through, and every single year they don't, all while their front office (regardless of who is in charge), manages to find ways to trade away or let their best players walk. It's truly baffling. Most recently, Landry, Ajayi, Pouncey. It's been this way since Jay Fiedler. I actually kinda feel bad for them at this point.

Meanwhile, they can never fill their stadium. The Jets take over half the stadium on a regular basis when the Jets are in town.

xxedge72x likes this.
  12. wellemann

wellemann Member

I agree. Im also really positive.
    And I think that Mac is adding young leaders to this team. Leo for the D-line. Adams for the backfield. Williamson for the LBs. Darnold for the O. Maybe even Crowell at HB.

Now you need to build the O-line and keep adding pieces.

I also like how Darnolds quiet leadership will compliment the excitement of Adams on the D. Those two are gonna be great together.

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Darnold better be playing by game 5 this year. Playing McCown does nothing for this team. Time for McCown to go far, far away from this team. Don't want the stench of his perpetual losing hovering around anymore. I've watch Darnold for a few years, he can handle playing this year and they should give him that chance. No 3 year window dressing like they did with Hackenberg.

14. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

This, although I'd like to see Sam on the field by December -- barring McCown leading this team on a playoff push, but I'd be shocked if McCown isn't injured before then, so getting Darnold ready should be a huge point of emphasis this summer.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

It took three years but Mac seems to have gotten it. All you hear. Build the lines. Well Mac did that this offseason in different ways.
    1. Through free agency he got the center and depth we needed for the oline. The other 4 starters were returning this year. He signed Long to be the center and then got Swanson and Harrison to be the backup center, Dozier and Qvale to be the backup guards and Iljana as the swing tackle. I would say at best the line is average. In the end the Jets will have 8 servicable players. At times the line will play and look good and in other games look overmatched. That being said I expect next year with the money we have and the draft the oline will be addressed.

2. The d-line lunch pail guys I wanted he decided to draft. With the players we had and the draft picks it looks they will have a nice rotation. That being said with no drafting of olbs and not having much edge rushing I expect them to address next offseason as well.

Mac feels he has the qb. He will build the lines then build the rest of the team out.

Offensively he still has work to do
    a. along the line he will address the needs in the 2019 offseason and free agency
    b. rb we'll see how this year goes. I can see Crowell being the guy in 2019 with an early drafted rb next year.
    c. wr see how the year plays out but could see us signing one or drafting one next year
    d. te: see what becomes of Leggitt, Herdnon, etc.

Defense:
    a. dline: seems to be good
    b. lb: inside will not address much but outside will be addressed in draft and free agency
    c. secondary: pieces will be added but probably ok too.

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I dont like the idea of arbitrarily benching him because he's a rookie. If he is able to prove that he is ready to play and can carry the load, than play him. If not, roll with McCown, get a super high draft pick, and trade it for a haul.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

McCown is here because he is (by all accounts) a true professional on and off the field. He is obviously not here for his career W/L ratio. You want leaders that have their heads screwed on right to guide our young rookies... especially true for our franchise QB. McCown knows his role. He isn't going to leave the young QBs to flounder by themselves like so many veteran QBs do to protect their own jobs. I really think we should be glad to have him on our team at this point.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I would have traded our 2019 1st round pic and kept our 3 2nd round pics.

The 32 pic in the 2019 draft isn't as valuable as the 3 2nd round pics we could have kept.

donkey and dawinner127 like this.
  19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

that #1 in 2019 might still be in the top 5.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

The goal for 2018 is to win the division. Enough with the baby steps. I refuse to concede the Jets are going 6-10 again. The winds of change are blowing and a new era is about to begin.

LAJet likes this.