Sam Darnold and.....Sean Payton?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

After watching the Rams/49ers game, I want someone from that Shanahan/McVay school.

They worked together under Mike Shanahan in Washington. Kyle as OC, McVay as the TE coach. McVay's current OC was Matt LaFleur who served as the QB Coach and I think he's next in line.

So if we went the young, first time head coach he'd be up there on my list because he's worked under Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Dan Quinn, Wade Philips and likely built the relationships to assemble a great staff and he has the energy we need around the building. He's also worked with Macc.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Payton over Bowels = night n day and Im not talking skin color ----> I will say it again when you invest ALL that money in one position see BREES contract you do not have money to spend elsewhere that is EXACTLY why Jimmy Graham is gone, and Cooks and others and those guys were offensive studs . If Payton EVER came here and stunk up the joint I would be the first to eat crow,,,I say it again I would give him a blank check along with Harbaugh

3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

A big reason to do this would be all about the coach.

I used to feel that way until the Jets surrendered their #1 for Parcels, and you know the results - of course the bummer was that Parcells didn't stay long with the Jets. I would make sure this time, that a team would sign him for at least 5 years.

Sean Payton is NO Bill Parcells, at this moment anyway, and doesn't merit surrendering a high pick and I'm not sure there is any other coach available in the NFL to warrant this.

twown likes this.
  4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Your last point , exactly .
    Payton is a good coach but a coach is only as good as his players , for the most part . This team is devoid of talent ... I don't care if Jesus Christ was coaching these players , we'd still look like a JV team out there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I feel like our offense is more talented than the 49ers and they just put up 39 on a short week against a Wade Philips led defense, obviously one who's still learning their new roles.

A coach has an immeasurable impact if given the time, you can see the results.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The players would probably always be drunk if Jesus H. Christ took over. Constantly flipping those water coolers into wine coolers and what not.

FJF likes this.
  7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'd give Sean Payton a blank check, but I'm not interested in trading draft picks for coaches.

8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

True, but the problem with Billick is that he was an offensive coach who didn't have very much to do with that defense. Marvin Lewis ran that defense.

Payton has been the architect of one of the most productive offenses in league history. They have fallen apart in recent years and their defense has been putrid, but they have had an elite (or near elite) offense for a very long time.

9. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I don't think it'd take a second to natch him at this point, especially if the reports are true that the Saints FO has grown weary of Payton.. I'd draw the line at a fourth round pick. If Payton's not an option, Jay Gruden, in my opinion, presents strengths similar to Payton- he's gotten the best out of Kirk Cousins and Andy Dalton, along with the hiring of an OC from his pipeline in Shawn McVay.

RuJFan likes this.
  10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I obviously missed that part. Was it bolded and underlined initially? LOL If so, I must have been sleep walking when I read it.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That was indeed a miss old buddy... :)

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Lafleur is interesting as he was the Falcons quarterback coach and also worked with RG3 in that option-hybrid offense.

I like what Morton's done so far with the offense though.

15. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Active Member

Well I got half of what I wanted

CotcheryFan, slimjasi and CBG like this.
  16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. Sure - he sucks at defense. Give him 2 years to develop Darnold - then he can take a hike. Once a QB is well-developed, he will do reasonably well throughout his career despite coaching change.

17. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Dunno if he’s legit but don’t the Jets already have their “quarterback whisperer”?

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Here's hoping "our" quaterback whisperer is worth a damn. Jay Cutler is his work, last time I checked. Count me unimpressed.

CBG likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Heres to hoping they can develop Darnold and not hurt his growth,,,,,,,we all know what an innovator Bowels is lol hopefully Bates is better than advertised

20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

True but it was the only time in Cutler's career that he actually looked good. I'm hopeful that Bates is the man.

FJF likes this.