Hindsight Poll: Rosen and the three seconds, or Darnold?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will-I-Am-Not, Apr 27, 2018.

?

If you knew you could draft Rosen at 6, and keep the three seconds, would you?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2018.
  1. I'd take Rosen and the picks.

44.4%
  2. I'd still make the trade to land Darnold.

55.6%
  1. JeTerps

JeTerps Active Member

Have you ever heard Rosen open his mouth? There's a reason at least 1 team took him completely off their draft board. He's so unlikable. At any other position maybe that's not a big deal. As a potential franchise QB I'd avoid him like the plague. You know who else had arm talent? Jeff George... Jay Cutler... (to name a few)

BacktoQueens and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

That’s true and if we traded up to #1 with the same picks and took Darnold everyone would praise the move.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

4. JetLife5

JetLife5 Member

If we didn't move to 3 (especially at the cost we poisoned the water at) there's a chance teams do trade up between 3 and 5 and take QBs.

Assuming 1-2 is still Baker + Barkley, 3 to 5 could've been any variation of Darnold, Rosen, Allen. Then what? Take Chubb at 6? That would've been peak Jets lmao (best player falls to us and it's a D-Lineman)

HomeoftheJets and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I think a more valid poll--for all those fans happy to win two completely useless and meaningless games last year-- would you rather have gone 3-13 and kept the 3 second rounders?

Or were those wins so memorable that years from now you'll be reveling in those wins when we could have taken an OLineman and an OLB or a dynamic TE or a RB in the second round to further stockpile the roster?

Hmmmm...yeah Darius Guice and Dallas Goedert would have looked real nice in green...but DAMN did we show those Bills and and Jags!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Rollo Tomassi

If we're not at 3, there is no way Indy isn't trading that pick to someone else for Darnold.

ColoradoContrails and JetLife5 like this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

our second round picks are pretty much always terrible - whether we have 3 or 30 chances are we might get one half decent player out of them all - much happier to have darnold

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'd take Rosen and the picks, but hopefully I'm wrong about that. Darnold was a highly rated prospect, most folks had him at #1. I think it could very well work out where Darnold becomes successful and Rosen does not, but I think Macc made the right move trading up to the #3 considering that he fell to us. In hindsight it looks brilliant even though I was a bigger Rosen fan going into the draft.

9. dogg

dogg Member

Agree and imo that's why the Jets passed on Rosen. I could just see the Jets losing with McCown starting and Rosen thinking I can do better than this jag, and then giving Bowles the business about it, probably in the media as well. Wasn't hard for them to pass on Rosen with Sam on the board.

Freddy Mondo and BacktoQueens like this.
  10. Rollo Tomassi

Rex Ryan was just on the Michael Kay show and basically called Rosen a pussy for his comments.

Said Darnold's comments sounded genuine but that Rosen's tough guy comments didn't sound like him--like he was trying to play the tough guy that he isn't is.

And basically invited every single one of those "mistake" teams to knock the shit out of him when they play him.

That dude is going to suffer career ending concussions earlier than anyone tought.

Said he would have taken Darnold if he was still coaching the Jets.

But it's Rex talking to a NY audience so take it for what it's worth.

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Aye. Hindsight's getting clearer by the moment. Darnold

12. Rollo Tomassi

For some of us it’s foresight

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If I knew ahead of time? Not realistic, but if I DID know, sure I would've taken Rosen and kept the picks. But as much as I like Rosen, I totally agree with how Macc played this. He HAD to do something to secure a potential FQB and he did it. I may think Rosen is better than Darnold, but I do believe Darnold will be a FQB if the Jets don't fuck it up.

Cidusii and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Hindsight 20/20 the Jets absolutley should have stayed at #6 and took their chances. I think the draft would have ended up going like this:

1. Mayfield
    2. Barkley
    3. Allen-Bills
    4. Ward
    5. ?

The real question is would Denver have taken Darnold? The Bills wanted Allen, and would have taken him #1 overall if it came down to it.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the bills could have tarded up for darnold though and not allen, but we still would have had rosen at 6 either way

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I don’t buy that. Say what you want about him, but all the reports indicated that Allen was #1 on the Bills board.

Denver could have potentially drafted Darnold, but reports linked him to Mayfield. Who knows, at the end of the day the Jets got their guy.

17. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

How about a selection for the most absurd post in 2018? omg, can this be the worst? This is not hypothesizing, this is just plain hypocrisy.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that's all that matters. I'm sure we'll know some of each teams draft boards after the draft

19. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

The nonsensical blind speculation is strong in this one.

joe likes this.
  20. DuhesSeaOfMud

DuhesSeaOfMud Member

Hindsight is 20/20, and foresight is about 20/200 when you’re the Jets. Three high seconds to move 3 spots. That plus a bit more may have got them to 1 to get Mayfield, the best QB in the draft. Browns might have played ball given their positioning at 4, they could have had an ungodly array of 2nds in a loaded draft, still drafted a top qb at 4 and taken ward at 6. Maybe not though because they got the draft’s best quarterback in Mayfield.

Jets had to do it though, they were put in a tough spot. Those couple draft slots were very valuable before the draft. I’m sure there was a nice moral victory win or two late in the year, the price of which was 3 2nd round players. Sad!