Hindsight Poll: Rosen and the three seconds, or Darnold?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will-I-Am-Not, Apr 27, 2018.

?

If you knew you could draft Rosen at 6, and keep the three seconds, would you?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2018.
  1. I'd take Rosen and the picks.

44.4%
  2. I'd still make the trade to land Darnold.

55.6%
  1. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I like the Darnold pick, but I'm still torn as to whether we'd have been better served by staying at six, taking Rosen, and still having the two second-round picks in a very deep draft, as well as our second next year.

alleycat9 likes this.
  2. wellemann

wellemann Member

Hell no. There is obviously a reason, that Rosen fell that far. Injury or off field, personality.

This was a great move by Mac.

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

A) There's no guarantee Rosen would have been there at six. How do we know that Arizona doesn't trade up to 3, instead? Some other team? What if they liked Rosen more? Who knows what would have happened had we not made that trade. So many unknowns.

B) Given Rosen's durability concerns (which are serious - and I love Rosen as a prospect), Darnold was the the more prudent pick. I also happen to think he has more upside.

The trade was brilliant. The Jets likely got the1st or 2nd player off their board with the 3rd overall pick in the draft. They also got a guy who 17 out of 24 anonymously polled GMs chose as their number 1 QB in this draft, according to Charlie Casserly. A lot of NFL guys thought Darnold was the best QB available.

This trade is

[​IMG]

#3 slimjasi, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    b.reyes16, abyzmul, NYJ79 and 14 others like this.
  4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Whats the point of what if when DESTINY CALLS...

We were mean't for Darnold...The way Browns jumped on Baker and then our crosstown rival take a RB and we get a 20 year old QB closely compared to Andrew Luck.

We got lucky, but Mac made our luck.

I like Rosen but I am happy he is far away

Endlessly Counting and wellemann like this.
  5. wellemann

wellemann Member

This.

Its a great move by Mac. Made even greater by Browns and Giants picking how they did.

Big Cat and Endlessly Counting like this.
  6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Yup.

The poll question is perfectly fine discussion material, as long as we appreciate it to be a pure hypothetical without hindsight bias. If the Jets hadn't made the trade, there's no telling how the top picks might have unfolded. It's a completely alternative timeline.

7. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I honestly believed that at the No. 6, the Jets would have been stuck with Mayfield. Darnold, Rosen, and Allen would have been gone was my thinking.

I think the Broncos and the Giants were dumb not to get a QB Eli Manning is the most over rated NFL QB and to even consider him a HOF is incredibly stupid!

Maybe Darnold will not work out but I think the Jets made the best logical decision.

8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

We gave up 4 possible starters for 1. It's a 50/50 shot for 1st and 2nd round picks developing into a starter; not a great player but a contributing one. It's less if you're a QB. Out of the five QBs taken last night chances are 2 will be productive QBs and NO one knows which 2, so it you play percentages it would have been way better to have Allen or Rosen and three 2nd round picks.

Doing the trade to move up before the draft was a horrible idea. Just proves are GM is a moron. If Darnold pans out, it's not that our GM was smart, it's that he was lucky.

alleycat9 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I would have been happy with Allen and our three picks back. GM traded up with no control on the outcome. Even Darnold could have been there at #6, and we will never know.

alleycat9 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat" -> "Fortune Favors the Bold.."

11. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of Sam but man have you seen our second rounders list over the past 20 years !?!

RPOZ51 and MeanGreenMachine88 like this.
  12. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I would trade them until the end of time !

13. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

You can't change the past, move forward. I would have liked to have kept the 2nd rd. picks, but as an organization, we seem to FAIL with those. Rosen wasn't a guarantee at 6 when Mac made the trade. I THINK his order of preference was Darnold/Mayfield/Rosen. Moving to 3, assured one of them.
    Rome wasn't built in a day. Free Agency offseason moves have made the team markedly better. Next year free agency will be big yet again. Let the rook study under Mccown on the field this year and sign Mccown as the QB coach for 2019 and we suddenly will be a .500 or better team just like that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This hindsight is too soon. I love watching Rosen play, but listening to him really turns me off. Let's see how he does with the Cardinals. If he becomes as good as predicted, it is safe to say staying at 6 would have been better, but that is nothing more than a projection right now.

Jets needed to not miss on their QB so I think the trade was appropriate and even necessary. Knowing Rosen would fall in hind sight is splitting hairs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I would certainly like to have those three 2s right now.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

lol..500 or better? we better be that this year or we will be starting over with a new FO and CS next year anyway.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Anybody who says it was the right move in "hindsight" is lying to themselves. The only way the trade was he right move despite how it played out would have been if if the Jets traded up for the 1st overall pick. Then we would know they had ONE QB rated above the rest. The fact they trade up to 3 tells us that they thought at least 3 of the QBs were worth that much draft capital. I understand the gamble and agree with it (though had they drafted Mahomes last year they wouldn't had have to make such a bold the move). However, in "hindsight", they were ultimately wrong.

CBG and matt robinson 17 like this.
  18. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

No it was a brilliant idea and I'm not a big Mac fan but the value of that pick goes through the roof on draft day if people suddenly realize Darnold was there at 3, and that's assuming the Bills don't do their own tradeup with the Colts before then. Plus you can't hindsight-evaluate a trade, there was a very real chance no fewer than three QB's go by 6 if the Bills had managed to trade up for Allen (supposedly they had a deal at 5 but the Broncos backed out when Chubb fell to them) and we would have had to either take a fourth choice we didn't want or go to another position and punt QB again.

Honestly I'd have preferred Nelson and the three 2's to Allen or Rosen and the three 2's anyway.

#18 NYJFan10, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    westiedog1 likes this.
  19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

You cannot plan using hindsight. Decisions must be made in real time. I never thought Rosen would be there at 6. I did not think any QB would be there at 6.

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

And if nothing else Mac was decisive...the McCown/Bridgewater signings and the trade up were within days if not hours of Cousins going to Minnesota.