Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah hes got good fundamentals, Chad had a little bit more mobility IMO, could move around in the pocket. If you are going to take a project QB, might as well go big. Falk might be a decent fit, but I would hate to see the Saints waste a first rounder on him.

2. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I think if you select Lamar you have to build an offense around him. You need to ride or die in this decision, you can't just insert him in any offense around the league and expect him to perform well. I think you need to move him around and allow him to be the dual threat he is. I'm just not confident in his ability to stand in the pocket and deliver throws in tight windows when you need him to. In the right offense though, he would be a threat and a tough play for any defense.

ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Even teams that have won with a QB that needed an offense built around him (Seahawks, Panthers) had dominant defenses to boot. It's not as easy as drafting Lamar and letting him be a dual-threat. It won't work. But I guess that's why most people view him as a mid to late first round selection that will need a ton of work.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The same can be said about Mayfield.

The bold, he did this all season long. He did it more then Mayfield.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  5. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I agree with you on the Mayfield point....you definitely need to customize for his skillset as well. Darnold and Rosen are the only plug n play guys available this year IMO, hence why I created this thread. You draft a guy that high.....he better have value in multiple schemes. When I watch Jackson on tape, I just wonder if he's going to have enough arm talent for intermediate throws and stuff going across the middle. Plus when he's off....he seems to really be off. I could be wrong though, and I hope he goes on to have a nice career. At the end of the day, this game are these kids livelihood and I really wish the best for all of them.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

jackson will need a customized offense that plays to his strengths as well. It's not like that isn't sucessfull for elite athletes. Look at cam, he plays in a run option offense. But he can pull it off with his size and speed. Jackson will need to play in a big strike offense. Similar to what ATL ran with vick. He's not a QB that is going to lead you on 10+ play drives all the time, but he's a QB that's going to be able to put up points quickly on the board at times.

7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

anybody else feel like Darnold is overrated? I watch his game film vs the good teams he played... nothing jumped out at me... besides his interceptions

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

yes.
    I think his rep is riding on his performance from 2 seasons ago (and the anticipated trajectory from that point)

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Any offensive coordinator that doesn't build an offense around their passer is either incompetent or dealing with a piecemeal situation at QB and has to prepare for a backup to come in.

In this age, the smart OCs are incorporating more of the college flavor because most successful college coaches just don't give a shit about running NFL style offenses.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Until Mangini happens

abyzmul and stinkyB like this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Square peg.... meet round hole

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I could see LJ with the Saints.