Why is Darnold getting a pass?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by All Gas No Shake, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Personally, I believe the talent around Darnold was average-at-best. It shouldn't be (because it's USC), but it was. Every game the TV announcers would talk about how all five offensive lineman were going to be future pros ... and then they would get destroyed by the defensive line of whoever they were playing. This happened every game.

joe likes this.
  2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

To be fair
    Darnold is a legitimate top 5 pick QB prospect.

Mayfield should not really even be in the discussion, but because there are so many teams in need of the valued QB position he is being over hyped and will be drafted way higher than he should be.

Winning the Heisman, winning a national championship mean nothing and are not the tools that translate to success in the NFL regularly.
    Darnold has the edge in just about every category that historically matters in predicting NFL success.

I personally do not think either one will have a HOF career and I doubt that either becomes more than a few year starter before the team that drafts them moves on. Mayfield has huge bust potential.

Pepsiguy5, LF911SC, joe and 2 others like this.
  3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Idk about the bolded sentence... Mayfield definitely scans the entire field before making his decision, even if he knows he's throwing it to someone in the flat, and even under pressure... he keeps his eyes up the field. He's not locking in on a primary target at all. And Mayfield led NCAA in "NFL TYPE THROWS" %

4. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

1. The USC and Oklahoma offenses are not one in the same.
    2. Darnold took more snaps under center.
    3. Darnold is taller.
    4. Darnold has slightly bigger hands.
    5. Darnold is more likable to the PC crowd.

blackssmagic and Peebag like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I personally think Darnold is the best QB prospect of the 4, Rosen would be very close without the injury concerns and possible personality concerns. I do think he’s being made out to be this can’t miss prospect which just isn’t true.

Each of Rosen, Darnold & Allen are worthy of being the first QB selected and each have a chance to be great. I’d put Mayfield a notch below the big 3 but ahead of the next tier.

Pepsiguy5, LF911SC and FJF like this.
  6. We can agre to disagree on progressions... I'll trust my eyes...I'm sure you'll do the same.

As for the "NFL type throws" That's according to PFF who pretty much contradicts themselves by saying 80% of his throws are to wide open targets. Sorry...I pretty much never agree w. PFF & this is no different. College production is FAR from the be all end all...It seems you are analytics guy...which is fine...but given that fact I dont think we're going to see eye to eye on any of the QB's much less Baker Mayfield

LF911SC, FJF and JetLifeLo like this.
  7. JetLifeLo

respect fam.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Something to consider ..Mayfield destroyed Ohio State( the Top Ranked college team) 31-16..while Darnold floundered with intercepts and fumbles

Equal opponent ...different RESULT ...and BTW guys that's all that MATTERS!!!!!!

Darnold is physically gifted but flawed..could not win the BIG game

Mayfield also flawed but KNOWS HOW TO WIN

So what translates better to the NFL?

My HEAD Says Sam Darnold

But the GUT says take Baker Mayfield

Leicester Jet, JetLifeLo and Noam like this.
  9. JetLifeLo

Mayfeild least amount of passes batted down at the line of the top 4 QB prospects as well.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Darnold is a freaking ninja in the pocket. He has better awareness then Mayfield:

Very routine for Darnold, goes through his progressions from one side to the other.

He can make any throw in the book, hes rough around the edges, but would be a great fit for the Jets over Mayfield. Give him a 1/2 yr to year to prep.

FJF and Noam like this.
  11. JetLifeLo

I get those Deshaun Watson vibes from Mayfield. Leader of men... knows how to win! If we were down by double digits, I'd trust Baker to rally us back more than any of the others.

12. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Tebow was revered, praised, worshiped for his "ability to win"...and was given many more chances than he deserved...

13. rickjet

Having seen all of USCs games in 2017....this was the typical Darnold trying to buy time in a collapsing pocket, it is
    one of the reasons I like him, but needs to reduce TOs......

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Most people who watch footall seriously knew that Tebow would not translate well to an NFL QB because of his Throwing issues and inability to read defenses. He won because he was a superior athleate on a better team.

stinkyB likes this.
  15. rickjet

I agree, but many people (including scouts), keep referring to his "winning attitude".....so I believe Mayfield is getting
    hyped in a similar manner......I am not buying the Baker hype!!

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mayfield lost to Georgia and is 1-2 overall in Bowl Games.

Darnold was by himself against OSU, but beat a very good Penn State team the year before. Darnold is 1-1.

But Mayfield wins the big game? LMAO

No sense at all, both didn't win a NC; so how does he get the Watson treatment lol ... I love bias; even when it makes 0 sense.

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

FTFY.

FJF likes this.
  18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The "fraud?" .

No need to blow a fuse: . the fraud should be gone before the third pick leaving Mickey Mayfield Rooney staring the Jets square in the face (i.e. looking up at them). .

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ +1
    (mentioned by a few & .ignored here by most..months ago..)

20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

That people are trying to compare and even make a case for Mayfield over Darnold just proves how much people are swayed by things unrelated to being a good NFL QB,

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.