Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bradshaw had someone read it for him and he still scored less

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't know that Rosen "hates" football, but it is very hard to tell what he does care about. I really believe his eventual draft spot is tied directly to his interviews, more than the rest of these guys.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Agree that I oversimplified the role of a RB but I guess what I was saying that intelligence is more important with a QB. There's a reason why QBs generally need a few years to develop, especially if they don't come from a simplified pro offense. RBs hit the ground running. Sure they need to learn blocking assignments, etc but not even close to playing QB.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. LF911SC

I think a lot of the questions some ask about his love of the game is based on a lot of assumptions. He has excelled at every sport he takes up. Football wasnt his first sport. Plus he comes from money, so it's he doesn't need the payday, he's set for life, he can't be dedicated like some broke kid.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

def agree, some players are never good in the film room, but when they go on the field their instincts take over and all of a sudden they are the best player on the field.

Like a Marino. Vince Young wasn't a BAD quarterback either, though his attitude wasn't great at the next level. Also Jeff Fisher is a QB cancer (see Goff and Keenum). They were instinctive players that just knew what to do on the field.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Except that’s based on the meritless assumption that the desire to play is based solely on financial benefits and not a desire to be a great football player.

Tom Brady has zero financial reasons to play football but has the innate desire to be the greatest QB to play.

If Rosen has a desire to be a great QB the financial aspect won’t change that.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate having a clear mind. Bradshaw came up the year they went to names on Jersey's. It set him back 4 years.

All Gas No Shake and stinkyB like this.
  8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ME RUN THROUGH HOLE.... plus he also happenned to be one of the toughest dudes EVER

LF911SC likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I love how the Allen haters are discrediting Allen blowing the wonderlic out of the water but would try and bury him if he bombed it...

Ralebird and BacktoQueens like this.
  10. LF911SC

I think that no matter how much talent is inside someone, or how good they can be when they hit the film room that you can never find out how dedicated they are from a test. How much work they're willing to put in. I think most 1st round QBs come out of school with similar talent. How hard they work to maximize that talent can separate them.

11. LF911SC

Did I say I agree? I think some have assumed. They said the same things about Mike Piazza. We know that no one asked him how dedicated he is and he answered that he wasn't.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

We're looking for someone to play quarterback, not build spaceships. Don't need a genius.... just someone who's hopefully not a total dumbass

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Or where they end up. There seems to be very little focus on the environment that QB’s land in and more on the end result. Look at the Jets. They can’t seem to coach up any QB no matter how hard they try. Pennington was the exception, but it wasn’t meant to be.

#653 Jets81, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think what we know for sure about Rosen is that we don't know. On the one hand, there's a lot we don't know about all of the prospects, but with Rosen it stands out due to certain reports. How much do we trust those reports? The answer is usually never 0% or 100%.

In my mind, Rosen is the most likely candidate for an "Aaron Rodgers slide". That said, he may end up just as good as Aaron Rodgers.

15. Jets777

Jets777 Member

I heard the Cleveland Browns will draft Barkley at #1 overall and Giants will draft Chubb at #2 overall. I think the perfect by Jets will grab Darnold #3 overall. If Giants will grab Darnold then Jets should draft Rosen!

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Hates football? Yeah, sure he does. You don't rise to the top of the collegiate football world as he has without putting in a ton of work. Can you imagine a guy putting in that work effort while hating it? Makes a lot of sense. This is a kid who was one of the top ranked tennis juniors in California but gave up that sport (no concussions there) to play football. Sounds like he hates the sport to me. He's also a kid who did well academically in high school and comes from an upper middle class family, and would most likely do well in life even without football. Finally, with one parent as a physician, who must surely be aware of the health risks of playing football, he still wants to play the sport he hates.

17. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

You do know that Bradshaw suffered from dyslexia?

boozer32 likes this.
  18. LF911SC

I don't put as much weight into that. There's so many coached these guys hire. They brought in the coach from Indy who worked with coaching up Manning and others. Didn't help him. No one who coached Chad is with the Jets today, what would it have to do with a 2018 draftee?

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Why would Cleveland pass him up? They got a new regime running things now. The old Cleveland might have passed but with all the hoopla, test scores, more teams holding private workouts. They might just bite and take Allen and that would make my day.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I love how the Allen fanboys are going on about Allen blowing the Wonderlic out of the water but would try and ignore it if he bombed it...

See what I did there?

NoodleArm and ColoradoContrails like this.