Zimmer says good things about Teddy but says he has limitations still

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Donttasemebro, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

meaningless factoid: While Teddy was still getting up to speed as a rookie he was competing with Christian Ponder at QB. Fans in MN called the tandem "Pondwater".

BacktoQueens, Peebag and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

He's not worth the $6mil cap hit. He's absolutely worth the $500k-$1mil cap hit as a lottery ticket. I'm saying, I don't roster him to be a backup. Starter or Street. I'd rather roll over $5mil & just roll with the rookie & Hack as backups.

thedrjay likes this.
  3. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Haha. Monikers fascinate me. People were often named after an occupation since time immemorial and also objects and ethereal things. It all morphed from there. So many first names have Greco/Roman origins, it's crazy unbelievable. Haha, a Spanish friend of mine (from Spain) has roughly 20 names, as in his full name. De dudda de dudda de dudda Eduardo de casa de Cristina more de dudda more casa bunch of Saints de Diego dudda de dudda Heriberto. What the heck is your damn NAME?! "Eddie." As you were.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's a different matter entirely. I can understand preferring to go another way (even if I don't agree), but not that he isn't worth the cap hit. Even if the Jets kept/signed him at $5 million, he could still be a part of the team for a long time, be a very solid backup, and could potentially be the starter if the rookie didn't fully develop or faltered at some point. When you look at all the older JAGs the Jets have had at QB who had no ceiling or potential whatsoever, $5 million is nothing for a 25 year-old QB who is supremely talented, hard working, smart and has great character.

Teddy on one leg is a better QB and has more potential than Hack. Heck for that matter, Teddy in a wheelchair probably has more potential than Hack.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Completely agree. The contract is smartly structured. Not even close to an issue.

Breaking news here...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Wonder what John Hancock did for a living

stinkyB likes this.
  7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

He has 5 months for his knee/leg to further strengthen before we decide if we want to cut him. Even if he isn't 100% now that doesn't mean he wont be in September. Time till tell - it was worth the $500k option (especially when the draft is always a crapshoot for us).

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  8. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I hope he makes Minnie regret letting him go.

stinkyB, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Well of course he has limitations his knee injury was outright catastrophic. Give credit to the kid for being even at this point.

It's a longshot reclamation project. Nothing more. Maybe he'll stick as a 3rd QB. If the rook is not ready and McCown gets hurt at least we'll have somebody with NFL snaps under center to put in there.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So, is the knee good or not is the $500G question isn't it..

11. FJF

Actually that’s the $4,500,000 question. We’re paying the $500k to be the first to know

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  12. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Am I the only one annoyed that a coach of another team is commenting on the status of one of our players? Why is he even discussing it?

13. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

McCown won't be taking many reps during TC. The competition will be between Teddy and the rookie. If it's close between the two, Teddy gets cut. If Teddy is clearly a better option, he sticks.

14. NCJetsfan

Teddy isn't getting cut. With McCown's age and being injury-prone, he could go down at any time. If so, and Teddy is cut, that leaves the rookie and Hack. That shouldn't happen, and it's not going to happen. Unless Teddy gets re-injured or simply can't even practice, there's zero reason to cut him, and LOTS of reasons to keep him.

15. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

I disagree. There are only so many reps available and if the competition is close, it's better to go with the drafted option over Bridgewater. And if McCown does go down, so what? Isn't that the purpose of drafting said rookie QB, to play? $500K for a camp tryout is kids money on the salary cap. And you can probably find a JAG for under $5 million which is the cap hit if he's on the roster after TC.

FJF likes this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Saving face in case Teddy actually DOES recover ;)

17. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

And this is why he had to settle for the contract he settled for.

He will likely never see the field in a Regular Season game here. In fact, I hope he doesn't. I hope the guy we take at 3 is ready to go Day 1 or shortly thereafter. I expect McCown to start the season if he isn't, not Bridgewater.

18. FJF

Meh, former coach of a well known player answering questions for his new team’s beat writers isn’t anything harmful or out of the ordinary. I think I would be more concerned if he was short and didn’t answer any questions at all

19. NCJetsfan

Why bring in a JAG, when you have Teddy who is only 25 and was playing well? We've seen enough freaking JAGS to last a lifetime. You keep Teddy and can possibly get a pick or picks for him next offseason or keep if the rookie isn't ready or for competition.

You don't want to force the rookie onto the field before he's ready to play, and you certainly don't want to play Hack. Cutting Teddy if he was playing really well, but just got beat out by the rookie would be nothing short of dumb imo and a fireable offense.

20. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

You sign the JAG because he'd be third on the depth chart and cost less than the guaranteed money Teddy would have for the season. Why devote resources to someone if they get beat out by a rookie during Training Camp? And you wouldn't be forcing the rookie to play. That's why McCown is there to start the season or play backup. And if Teddy was playing really well but just got beat out by the rookie, that would mean the rookie has had an amazing training camp and should be taking real game snaps.