Anyone Besides Darnold/Rosen at 3...We Failed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 21, 2018.

1. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Mayfield makes incredible throws and is the better QB right now. I would happily take him at 3.

NCJetsfan, PJ4Ever, JetLife5 and 2 others like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While Macc might love the physical aspects of Allen, and his "potential", the odds of Allen being able to get on the field, let alone reach his potential in the glare of NY are pretty long, and I don't think Macc will gamble his career on it. I don't know how anyone can believe that Allen will actually improve his accuracy and decision-making by playing against exponentially better players. Again, that's like saying a guy in the minor leagues who has trouble hitting curve balls will somehow start hitting them because he's been promoted to the majors. If he in fact DOES learn to improve these areas enough to become a starter, it's going to take time, like more than a season's worth of time. And god forbid if he makes throws into the ground or airmails a few! The fans and media will crucify him! It's just not a good situation to bring him into.

I think Macc has it narrowed down to Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold, and I believe he prefers one of the first two. That's just my gut feeling, and I certainly could be wrong. Whoever it is I'll root for and hope that Macc nailed it.

Brook!, NCJetsfan, Noam and 2 others like this.
  3. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

My choice would be Mayfield but hey? [​IMG]

4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Allen may not have been there at 6. Buffalo would have likely jumped up and gotten him before us

The nightmare scenario would've been staying at 6 and Allen, Mayfield, Rosen, and Darnold are all gone at that point.

NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  5. forevercursed

Browns know Rosen and Darnold wont play for them. Mayfield will be a heavily criticized move because of the Manziel debacle. That just leaves Allen. Allen could legit go 1 overall

6. forevercursed

That is a scary bad through. That's how you get people hurt.

7. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Don’t worry. That’s the game he went 9 of 24 for 64 yards. Josh Allen is a fucking bum. The fact he is considered a 1st round pick is hilarious. He shouldn’t go before round 3. He’s terrible.

Noam and JetLife5 like this.
  8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Mayfield is absolutely worth trading up. I'm dreading us taking Allen and the Bills getting Baker. It will be another Brady scenario.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Now that's how you justify using four picks to get one guy!

HomeoftheJets and boozer32 like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah Macc homers think he had to act quickly. But he didn't go far enough. Darnold and Rosen have always been the ones for us to pick and possible the Jets won't get either. Then they will have to sell and hope the 2nd teir scrubs are who he targeted all along. Nobody will especially the media will buy it. The Giants are in the best position especially if they have no plan to take a QB. Denver can leapfrog the Jets and just screw them over and the Giants will still have the 4th pick and more high valued picks.

#70 boozer32, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Maybe because he stinks and has bad mechanics. Too much to work with and our coaches have proven they have no idea how to develop said bad mechanic and bad accuracy QB's. See Hackenberg. That is right we haven't seen him because he was Allen in the 2016 draft. So we will be in the same position in 3 more years. Likely Macc pick on April 26. Idzik says hello by the way.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I would like to see us trade out of this pick with another team unless we truly believe there's a franchise QB here.I wanted to get behind the Teddy Bridgewater resurrection...Guy is still only 25 and was considered a franchise QB by the Vikings and there Fans.

13. forevercursed

I don't think we'd pass on Mayfield for Allen. Reading the tea leaves the Jets, despite that report (which may be a misdirection leak) seem to like Mayfield over Allen.

FlaJet likes this.
  14. forevercursed

It's possible 3 is as far as we, and anybody can go

Browns and Giants just aren't dealing.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing there are many NFL execs that actually believe that Allen is a 1st rd QB. Is it just media hype or are his raw physical tools hypnotizing enough to make scouts not trust their better judgment? The one thing about drafting Allen is it will give a team hope, lots of media attention and put people in the stands. That might be enough to make a team draft him in round one even if they know better.

#75 Noam, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

lol people say things like this based on the fact that they personally don't like whatever QB's that isn't the one they want.

For all we know we could've been scouting Mayfield the most and really be intrigued by what he brings to the table.. yet fans are saying "he would've been there at 6 and you don't move up 3 spots to draft Mayfield... as if anyone really knows how every team feels about every player. whoever they draft i'll know they REALLY wanted that guy or he was really high on their list. Just going to try and trust the GM with this one.

NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well you would know obviously since you are an expert. Since you are such an expert and I can learn so much from you, how about you break down a few of his games for me. Can’t wait to hear this.

Walt White likes this.
  18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Borrowed this from a Bills forum post which basically shows Allen is one of the most inaccurate Qb in this draft class + the excuse that his WRs were bad/dropped a lot of his passes is not true.

Adjusted completion percentage for dropped passes, throwaways & passes where QB was hit

• Rosen - 68.9%
    • Mayfield - 68.4%
    • L. Jackson - 64.7%
    • Darnold - 59.8%
    • J. Allen - 52.6%

Source:

Season-long, top draft QBs, % of aimed passes deemed catchable (min 200 atts)

Baker Mayfield 84.1% (best in NCAA)
    Josh Rosen 77.9%
    Lamar Jackson 77.6%
    Sam Darnold 74.1%
    Josh Allen 70.8% (92nd out of 100)
    NCAA AVG: 76.0%

Source:

PFF Drop Rates -
    Sam Darnold (6.81%);
    Josh Allen (7.84%);
    Baker Mayfield (9.49%);
    Josh Rosen (11.01%);
    Lamar Jackson (12.04%)

Source:

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Great info. Allen is awful and would be a horrible pick at 3. Just need to hope Maccagnan doesn’t fall in love with the height and arm strength. Allen is the kind of pick that could set this franchise back another decade.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

Great "Mox" reference!