Poll: Was the move to #3 the right thing to do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Mar 17, 2018.

?

How do you feel about the move to trade up to #3?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2018.
  1. Gave up way too much! Stupid move...

24.2%
  2. Very excited! Let’s get that Franchise QB!

75.8%
  1. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

My only concern is that we made the trade a bit early and tipped our hand that we are going for a QB (or should be). I do love that we have a pick in the top 3 with 4 comparative QBs at the top of the draft, I just fear we gave to much time to other QB needy teams to work out deals to leap frog us. That is all supposing the MacB have a stand out signal caller in mind that they are targeting, conversely if they view all 4 QBs as 1a-d then the timing is irrelevant and we have positioned our self well for a potential FQB. Either way, fingers crossed!

2. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

The fact that the Jets got the extra second rounder because they were able to get pull one over on the Seahawks has no bearing what they should do with the pick. There is not such thing as "playing with house money". You are always playing with your own money.

Also, saying that the Jets would be lucky to have any of the three second rounders become remotely decent is pretty outlandish. If the GM is not confident in getting good players in the second round more often then not he is in the wrong business.

RochesterJet likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You can't say we'll get the "consensus third best QB" because almost no one agrees on who is the best. Just because two QBs are taken ahead of us doesn't mean they're actually the two best.

4. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

JETS1116: Others may have commented already, but I think your math is wrong. The Jets first and two second rounders this year are worth approximately 2540 points (1600+530+410) in total - not 2130. That's a 15% premium for this years picks (2540 vs. 2200) plus the extra 2nd rounder next year. I am not calling it a disaster, but I believe that they overpaid.

5. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

No offense, but I have heard this posted too many times in the last couple of days - and it's faulty logic no matter how many times it's written. Therefore, I will respond again. This scenario is like saying I found $100 on the street so it's OK that I spend the whole $100 on a $50 meal for two at Outback (or some other restaurant of choice) rather than a $100 meal for two at Flemings (without any side dishes, or alcohol, by the way :)).

If you are fine with possibly overpaying to move up in the draft then that it's fine. Just like you might like Outback better than Flemings. However, to claim that you didn't just spend $100 for a $50 meal is bogus.

6. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

This

RochesterJet likes this.
  7. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

You are right. I didn't do the math myself, saw on bleacher report that we were 70 points short so we threw in the 2019 2nd rounder. So yes, we did technically overpay, but I could care less if it nets us a franchise qb.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This trade up doesn't "ensure" anything, that is the problem with this tradeup. It only ensures you may get the 3rd best QB in the draft, which in my view does not warrant giving up 3 second round picks.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

AHAHAHAHAH

It's called brain drain...

Is ANYONE here a 50 year Fan???..(a handful I know) Do you OTHER GUYS remotely understand how frustrating it is to get f-cked over by this Management and Ownership??? For 4 plus decades????

A first and 3 seconds for a chance to SECURE ONE of the top 3 QBs..This trade was great!!!..almost on par with Peter Styvasent giving the Indians Wampum for Manhattan island imo

Did we Overpay ?? Maybe a bit..but if You ain't got NOTHING ..WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE?? SMH 8xs with people who think we have some future dynasty ...THE FUTURE IS NOW

Some of This Board is just a bunch of whiny B*tches looking to find fault ..with EVERYTHING

How satisfying to see 70 per cent of this Board approving this move after myself NC Enunwa Play Boozer Contrails Edge and a handful of others banged the bass drum loadly for Mac to finally grow a set of balls and MAKE IT HAPPEN

What I am reading today is just sour grapes from the Cousins crowd who miss having their "proven commodity " QB for the Jets...Like Cousins did not have a brain in his head to determine that $ aside he has a GREAT TEAM like the Vikes in place to have a SHOT at the SB

I foresee good things going forward..best case is Giants take Barkley and we decide on Rosen/Mayfield ..worse case is draft Mayfield..Allen is behind him as a talent and I believe MAC takes BM as consolation prize

#109 NYJetsO12, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm not a 50 year fan, but I appreciate being mentioned. :)

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. I'm starting to notice that in a lot of cases the folks criticizing this move are the same folks who Wanted Cousins, Wanted to resign Mo,Wanted to resign Fitzpatrick, want us to pass on QB round 1 every single year, & celebrate/defend meaningless wins that hurt draft position every December.. In almost every single of these instances I've vehemently opposed their position. This seems to be the fan who is content playing it safe contending for the wildcard every year who never wants to take any risk like shooting for a watchable passing game. Just keep our picks, resign the media darlings, make the playoffs as a 6th seed every few years & only draft defense/OL.

That group has their place in the fan base. They are entitled to their opinion & have their reasons for feeling the way they do. That said...they've had their time of playing it close to the vest & drafting meat n potato positions many times over. It's time that those of us that have been BEGGING for the type energy,hope & direction a blue chip QB prospect brings to the table have our day. The stars have aligned for this to occur & I'm damn well gonna enjoy...and yes that includes if they draft Josh Allen!

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can definitely see Darnold and Rosen going 1-2 in the draft and leaving Mayfield for the Jets. I'd love it! That's what I want to happen.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No disrespect intended, but if that's the case, then imo you're wrong. The Jets HAVE to take a QB. Their chances of getting a FQB are much better taking Mayfied or Allen than they are taking, Jackson, Rudolph or Falk. If Albert Breer's article is accurate, then the Jets would be happy with any of the 4 QBs.

14. NYJetsO12

Thank you for the nice post Kurt..you hit the nail on the head with TGG..some guys on here will NEVER get it..so why even respond ..just ignore cause it's aggravating to hear concrete opinions

but J Allen for all that effort? Would be shocked if that's the case ..It's gotta be one of the Big Three please God

NJJets20 likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

By Mac making this move it's saying they are ALL pretty good and in his opinion Bates can work with all 3 (hah excluding Allen)..so who ranks 1 2 and 3 will be YOUR opinion

16. I'll be happy w. any of the 4. Like any top heavy draft class there are pluses & minuses to everyone of these guys..none of them have distanced themselves from the pack. There are really just as many things to like about Allen as with the other 3. The difference is,he DEFINITELY needs a year to develop while the others MIGHT & SHOULD be given a year. People are fixating way too much on the accuracy/small school aspect & rather than actually vetting what the issues are simply just writing the guy off. I think that's a mistake.If he was such a project there's absolutely no reason he wouldn't simply be included in the 2nd tier w. Falk/Rudolph/Jackson. This is almost the exact same situation as that of Maholmes last year except Allen played in a pro style scheme so he didn't have the gawdy stats however he's even more physically gifted. Dan Marino doesn't come out to watch QB workouts for every QB..just sayin.

I get the argument that we traded up & therefore the QB should start right away. Problem is..I don't think that's gonna happen regardless. This regime clearly feels strongly about letting a QB sit & learn for a year.The current depth chart of Mccown/Bridgewater further cement that. As such I think that sort of removes the "project hesitation" surrounding Allen. In other words...if he needs a year it really doesn't matter cause he's not playing year 1 anyway!

I'm not pounding the table for Allen by any means. But I like him just as much as the other 4 & think he fits alot of the things the Jets need in a QB. It's frustrating to see so many SO vehemently opposed to the guy w. little rationale behind it.The Jets have put more time into Allen than any other team dating back to last season. I think it's fair to assume if they take him over the others that they;'ve done their homework It's very sad to think that we draft this guy at 3 & rather than the fan base rejoicing & embracing the kid as our future..folks will be making Hackenburg & "Farm boy" jokes. Last time I checked Chad Pennington was a farm boy too.

Maybe it's too much to ask for Jet fans to actually be fully united & on board w. a QB prospect. It sure would be nice though..even if he isn't 30 w. a fully guaranteed contract

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12 and johnny like this.
  17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I think it was a great move. We are positioned perfectly, and anyone crying over a few second round picks (one of which we got from Seattle), when we have been searching for a franchise QB for decades, needs a psychological evaluation. With that said, if we DON'T draft a QB in some strange universe I will be the one needing psychological care.

18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Who cares what news articles and posts say. If we think there is THE GUY in this draft then we should get him. Pre-draft analysis rarely comes to fruition anyway. If we see THE GUY, then we better get him.

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Kurt, I've taken a step back - or tried to - from my criticism of Allen, and admitted that I certainly don't know as much as some here, or the professionals like Macc & Bowles. That said, why is that so many "experts" get it wrong so often? Maybe there's such a think as "too much info" and the "forest for the trees" syndrome?

Anyway, I've read and digested the comments here from legler and MeanDean and you, as well as reviewed the video posted by xxedge, and tried to get as objective POV as I can. While I can see some potential for Allen's success, I just think he's too erratic and too much of a gamble. Maybe if he sits and learns for a year - or two? - he can blossom, but now we're talking project, "redhshirting" and like it or not, that conjures images of Hack in most people's minds, and I can't say I blame them for that.

And here's another aspect of that: sitting him for a year - or two! - means we won't know for a year or two if he can even play! We STILL don't really know about Hack. This fan base, having waited decades for a true FQB, isn't going to sit still for that. Whoever Macc takes has better be able to get on the field and show something this year, even if it's mop up duties, SOMETHING to show he can actually play. This is why i think he needs to take Rosen, or possibly Mayfield. Both could play this year. Sure, sitting and learning for most or all of the season would only help, but they need to get out in live action and prove they can do it, otherwise the visions of Hackenstein will come into everyone's mind.

NCJetsfan likes this.