Jets acquire #3 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Vida

Vida Active Member

Of course but you can't simply look at previous drafts to predict the outcome of the next either.

For what it's worth I like this trade, I think it's about time the Jets traded up and had a crack at getting that QB that's eluded them rather than sit in no man's land at pick 6-10. It may not work out but you've got to have a go to find out and 3x2nd rounders isn't a hell of a lot in the scheme of things especially if it finally does solve the QB problem.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Then we agree afterall.

Vida and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We’re inevitably going to be rolling some cash into next year. If we can land a QB with this trade that instills hope in not only our team, but other players, that’s a nice boost as well.

See: 49ers. Before trading for Jimmy they were a joke. Now they became somewhat of an FA destination based off a few games of solid play by their future QB. Shit even the Bears were able to pick up a bunch of guys and Trubisky sucks!

4. Don

We definitely need some receivers. Pretty sure Anderson's trial starts tomorrow and the best outcome is he pleas out and only gets suspended by the league for what, 4 or 8 games? The worst outcome is he goes to trial and then to jail. Either way, we need receivers.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

“Definitive #1 qb” is for mock drafts. Real world if we love a guy which we clearly do we are getting him. That’s all that matters.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

what really matters is how many under 6'2" has had success in the NFL. Drew Brees comes to mind. So does Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, guys like that. QBs have gotten taller and huger over the years. Coaches develop biases for certain body types. Mayfield is sturdier than Rosen. If Mayfield has the arm strength so be it. Fact is, college linemen are just as tall as NFL guys.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Don

Currently only Brees at 6'0" and Russell Wilson at 5'11" are the only two with recent success. I like Mayfield but don't want him for only that reason.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think there is a lot of unfair bashing of Allen going on here. Everyone see’s the 56% completion percentage and throw out lazy comparisons like he’s Hack 2.0 but never mention that he has elite arm strength, elite athleticism, elite intangibles. I’ve watched him pretty closely as with all the QBs in this draft but I’m certainly no expert, the people that know a lot more than I do say he has greatly improved his accuracy from his 1st year starting to his next, even though his completion percentage didn’t improve. Say what you want about Allen but he has a ton to work with and his potential is off the charts.

I personally have a clear top 2 of 1. Darnold 2. Rosen. I’m pretty confident in thinking that one of the two will be available. However if they are not I’m a bit undecided. Yesterday I was thinking it has to be Mayfield, today I’m not so sure, I’m sure it will change again tomorrow and about 40 times until the draft.

I’m gonna hope for one of my top 2 and hope for the best no matter who we end up with.

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

What the hell are you talking about now? To make a statement like that, as if nothing has changed in the NFL since the 60's is moronic. For one thing the average player salary in 1969 was 1% of what it currently is. There is also the rookie salary cap. Those things among others, like the actual players available in a particular draft can change the value of certain picks immensely, to argue otherwise is just being ignorant of the facts.

Of course a high 1st is always going to be worth a considerable amount but even using your flawed $5 is $5 comparison, the value of the dollar changes all the time based on other contributing factors.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yup. Good observation.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

ATTENTION JET FANS: Start LOVING BAKER MAYFIELD

Mac WANTS Josh Rosen...but he WONT get him

EVIDENCE: At 1 the Browns will DEFINITELY take Darnold (Rosen and his attitude toward city of Cleveland earns no "brownie points" ahaha ...turns Dorsey off)..Sorry to say but J Allen will be an afterthought

At 2 Gettleman realizes that the G Men hardly EVER are at # 2 ..seize the opportunity and take J Rosen for your heir apparent QB ...At 37 Eli is downhill and Webb ? Meh..Barkley would be TEMPTING but this reasoning will prevail imo. PLUS there is NOT a snowballs chance in hell the Giants HELP the Jets by a choice between Rosen and Mayfield!!!!..

So it looks like Baker is the Jet Maker come the end of April...NOT BAD AT ALL..VERY Accurate passer , Heisman winner...the kid will pull wins outa a hat come the 4th Quarter with his hustle

Glad to see most of the TGG sees that this move is ALL ABOUT QB ..anybody whining for Barkley Chubb or Nelson is just too concrete to get it

12. Don

I read an article about Allen this morning saying his biggest issue is throwing too hard. When he relaxes he is very accurate and so the key is to get him in an environment where he can. BTY, my choices are Rosen and then Darnold.

legler82 and Attackett like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Don't really like the price they paid for this WITHOUT definitively knowing that they'll get THEIR guy....... I do admire that he's not afraid to stick his balls (and job) on the line for this move, so he better get that FQB prize they want

and not DeWayne Robertson's little brother

14. Don

nah..I thought for awhile they might take a qb too but have come to realize they are committed to manning for another 3 years..the giants LOVE RBs so i see them taking Barkley ORRRRRR trading the pick to Buffalo for a kings ransom and the Buffalo will take Rosen so we are still screwed.

15. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

agree, this fucking sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If they've evaluated that 3 QBs in this draft are all legitimate #1s, then this move makes sense. It is very early to move up to 3 but fortunately there are that many options and they have to feel good about all of them.

17. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Dont forget immature, vulgar, dumbass. He's like a mix of Cam and Manziel.

I think there's going to be a lot of dismay and unbelieving once that pick comes in.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

A little immature. Not quite at the level you are describing.

Mayfield has been carrying the Manziel comparison around since people began to realize he may make it into the first round, and it is a terrible comparison. The only part of the comparison that makes any sense at all is height.

On the field Manziel was a one read and then run QB. Mayfield is a true pocket passer who uses his mobility just enough to extend the passing play. He CAN run, but it isn't his natural talent like it was for Manziel or even Cam for that matter. Mayfield is slippery but not a runner. Mayfield evaluates the entire field and regularly goes through his check downs. You can find plenty of evidence of him using his eyes to move DBs and manipulate the defense to help get his WRs open. This is something Manziel never did.

Off the field, Mayfield got arrested once in what was essentially a big nothing burger. Dude was drunk and got caught up in a dopey situation. Immature, but lesson learned. Manziel was an addict who was never able to get his over problems. Mayfield's passion lies in football. Manziel's passion lied in partying. Blowing up Mayfield's arrest to suggest he's just like Manziel is ridiculous. There are a ton of college kids who make it into the NFL who do shit like this that we never hear about.

Brook!, NCJetsfan, TonyFtLaud and 2 others like this.
  19. stinkyB

I get that, but it's still hard for me to accept that they think there's THREE guys worth all that especially considering the top 3 QB prospects are all quite different..... I HOPE I'm wrong and the guy they draft is a total stud

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. stinkyB

Mayfield is not my favorite, but calling him Johhny Manziel is just lazy.

NCJetsfan likes this.