Rebuilding still going on... Dont panic

Discussion in 'Draft' started by wellemann, Mar 16, 2018.

1. wellemann

wellemann Member

After these first insane days of free agency and massive amounts of money being thrown around, I really think we need to take a breather and not panic.

Mac blew it all up last season and started over, and this is still going on.
    They would have loved to sign Cousins and build around him, but since it didn't happen, I really think they have to be patient and not panic.

I think there were several reasons, why they where so hot on Cousin. He would be a FQB sorely missed for one. But maybe more important, they might not be that excited about the QBs in the draft, or at least not ready to give away the load it would take to get them.
    And it makes sense to me. Why spend 1st round pick(s) on a young QB, who would end up with no Oline and no receivers?

Instead you stick to the plan. Draft BPA. Get young quality players for your team and keep building.

Like Adams fell last year, a great player will drop in the draft and we get 3 high picks (1st and second round) instead of watching Sam Darold getting killed every week.

Patience is key. Building through the draft and adding as much talent as possible is key.
    And I will look like an idiot in 24 hours, when Mac trades three first round picks for the first overall... :)

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Who is panicking? His moves so far have been measured and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them other than maybe that one contract to Johnson but he always overpays CBs.

NYJFOREVER and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. wellemann

wellemann Member

My point is, that I think they are doing the right thing. We - as fans - need to not panic and ask for their heads.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"Not panic"
    You aint from 'round here are ya partna?

NYJFOREVER, FJF and wellemann like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The biggest issue I have with Mac is that his draft picks haven't yielded many impact players. I do like how he purged the roster of unproductive vets last year and cut Mo this year. As for QB's, statistics show that 1st round QB's are more likely to become FQB's than those selected in the 2nd round and beyond. There are a few QB's this year that are potential FQB's, each with his share of flaws. QB is the most important position in the game and we have a vet on the brink of retirement and a young guy who hasn't played a meaningful snap since the WC game in early 2016. We need a long term answer at the position and there's no guarantee the Jets will be in a similar draft position next year or that the QB class will have as many possible FQB options.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. wellemann

wellemann Member

Nope. :)
    Have been following this forum for a lot of years, but might not be a true fan... being all patient and stuff.

Just thought it was interesting to discuss strategy of building slowly.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. stinkyB

I wasnt criticizing your thought process ;)

wellemann likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

April 27th will or won’t be a panic day

We dodged the Cousins bullet, he was not worth it and now MM must man up and move in this draft..

As Enunwa pointed out this class of QBs has our long term answer but like everything else in life will COST something..the FO should know their guy and make it happen with PICKS ..should be worth it

#8 NYJetsO12, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

anderson, maguire, hansen, adams, maye, williams, lee,

yes he's had some duds but every GM does. I think people rag on him a bit too much for the hack and smith picks. you can't name a single GM that didn't swing and miss.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

For 3 drafts he sure hasn’t hit a lot. There’s only 3 maybe 4 bonafide starters on that list of yours. I’m high on Hanson but I wouldn’t list him on macs resume as proof he can pick talent just yet. He has to do better, it’s very fair to be critical of his drafts thus far

11. GasedAndConfused

if you can land 2 starters per draft, it's a good draft. if 1 turn out to be a pro bowler it's a great draft. most people don't realize this because they only look at their team and not the NFL averages or the big picture numbers, or they look at 1 draft where a GM struck gold and use that as an unrealistic standard.

put it this way, there are 32 teams in the NFL. 51 active players against the cap and 24 starters per team. so 1632 players and 768 starters. every year there are 7 rounds in the draft so 224 players plus comp picks plus UDFA so lets say 250 new players coming in fighting for those 1632 jobs and 768 starting positions. the average career in the NFL is under 4 years, lowest of any sport. The NFL average tenure per player on team is less then 3 years. In other words it's highly competitive and players move around a lot. You can't expect a GM to rebuil and all star squad in a draft or 2. it's done over time. 1-2 players per draft after 5 years or so you have 5-10 core players and a couple of pro bowlers if your GM did good. you build around that with role players because NFL cap and all. and add key free agents when you can.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

But he also has to hit some roll players. 2015 and 2016 look like they are giving us 3 players total. You can crunch the numbers any way you like, figures lie and liars figure, the eye tells all. Look at his drafts , there’s not a lot to work with. We’ve been down this road before me and you, not sure why you feel the need to d fend him so much on this. He needs to draft better if we are going to take steps towards being a good team. That’s not debatable

13. stinkyB

You also cant judge a draft in a vacuum.... some years there aren't alot of gems out there, and some years its a goldmine. You just gotta make sure you dont take home a skank in a room full of prom queens.

That's what made Idzik's draft such an epic failure

14. GasedAndConfused

2015 he got williams. who i believe was runner up for DROTY and made a probowl as an alternate. simon has been solid depth, mouldin flashed potential but got hurt. he could sitll turn out as a good role player. you can't predict injuries. obviously smith and petty were misses. not great but not bad either

1 starter (pro bowl level)
    1 role player

2016 he got lee, shell, anderson, and edwards. 4 starters. lee has been solid even if people here hate him and getting better. edwards has been out punter since drafted and doing well. jenkins has played in spot duty and doens't look bad at all. shell was our starting RT last year and played ok. He also got

4 starters (anderson was near pro bowl level last year)
    1 role player

2017 adams and maye, 2 starters. both played every game as a rookie and both were solid. adams did a lot more then he got credit for as well and looks like he'll be a pro bowler soon. hansen did well when given the chance, maguire looked great spelling powell and forte. legget clark and jones were all practically injury red shirts but could contribute this year. too soon to tell

2 starters, 2 role players minimum

so in 3 drafts we got 7 starters 3 role players and still a couple of unknown late picks because injury.

thats above the 2 per year average so overall mac has done a good job drafting. not amazing by any means, but not bad. well within average and better then a lot of GMs out there

15. GasedAndConfused

exactly. someone was shitting on lee, i showed them all the people we could have drafted (every 1st round pick after lee) and the whole list was pretty much garbage for defense and only 1 decent WR.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It's funny because this fanbase was on the verge of meltdown when they didn't get all the top FAs within a few hours of free agency.

17. stinkyB

Stick around awhile..... it's nothing new.... unfortunately

Sam Hammer likes this.
  18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This team has nowhere to go but up after the last two years and if they don't there will be a new GM and coach next year anyway..the only shame to that is that they will be getting a check written for an extra year which should have never happened.