Jets to sign Trumaine Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 13, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

LMAO i made that joke like a few months back
    by definition, they are not overpaid then. it's just how the market works. fans assume it's overpaid but it's not. As long as they maintain a high level they are paid their worth. Overpaid would be someone like Mo who gave us practically 0 production while making 17mil a year, but at the time of his contract he was not overpaid. Since he became overpaid we cut him and now he is no longer overpaid. that's NFL economics in a nutshell

LAJet likes this.
  2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

1 TD pass and am opposing QR of 34 our so.

And someone said he isn't as good as Cro? Lol.

GasedAndConfused and tiger8mush like this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Math isn't a strong point, lol. More like half of what Cousins would make

tiger8mush likes this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Not to mention, if you repeatedly draft the same position in the 1st, there will come a time where you have to let some of those players go. See our former DL.

Let’s say we drafted Ramsey and then Adams & Maye or let’s say we take Fitzpatrick or Ward this year. Later on down the road, we would have to let several of them walk. You can’t be giving out three fat contracts in the secondary. But, you sure as hell can give out fat contracts spread out through several positions.

That is why it is beyond idiotic to take the same position in the 1st round for several years in a row. Only dumbasses like our current and former FO would do it.

If you took WR, WR, TE or WR, RB, WR, you wouldn’t be able to keep all of those skills players come the expiration of their rookie contracts.

But, you sure as hell could have a LT, RB, and OLB. You gotta be smart. That is why drafting based on need can definitely outweigh BPA if BPA means the same damn position over and over.

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Johnson is a legit man to man cover guy. Good player. Nice move.

AlexJETS likes this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

He's a good fit for the defense I hear he excels in press coverage and only let up 1 TD last year man to man. If they also somehow signed Mathieu and cut Skrine that secondary would be nasty!

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Bad day for Trumaine here:

8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I don't know overall but he smoked Devanta Freeman in the wide open field pretty good in the playoffs. If that play was at all representative I think he'll be fine. I'm actually pretty excited about getting this guy.

As with most free agents I guess you can squabble and sling criticism that your overpaying but in a way that's what free agency is. Maybe its technically true your overpaying but who cares... you went from a hole on your football team to a + solution at the snap of the fingers. Overpaying is sometimes smart.

9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

lol! my thoughts exactly. I'd so much rather be guilty of "overpaying" this guy a little bit than just watch us get burned downfield time after time after time next season. If he prevents that from happening how much are you really overpaying?

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

72.5 million for a corner is their big signing

#190 boozer32, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  11. boozer32

The total contract is 72.5 million. Only 13.5 million less than Cousins over the same amount of years. How is the total contract double?

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Trumaine Johnson signed a 5 year contract. Cousins signed a 3 year contract.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. boozer32

A gal named stinky trying to talk smash.

14. boozer32

How much of Cousins contract guaranteed?

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is the one signing that should not be criticized.

The other signings I'm not impressed with, Mac needs to have the draft of the century and hit on every pick, this team should be turning it around this year no more excuses.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Seeing 1 PI called and 1 Unsportsmanlike Conduct flag stinks, but, if you notice, Johnson faired much better when he was up on the line pressing Jeffrey. Presumably that is what he is going to do here, much like what Claibore did *most* of the time in Bowles' defense last season. IF we lave him in there strictly pressing/playing man, he will do a very good job 9 times out of 10 for us. If we have him playing off the ball or in zone, we are eliminating his strengths and that is when Jeffrey had most of his success against him in this clip.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree, Red, that this signing shouldn't be criticized. They paid him as if he is the top CB in the NFL and he isn't, not even close. I understand that he's a good fit in Bowles' D due to his size and style of play, but I think the smarter move would have been for the Jets to have focused on finding a younger CB that could help the team longer. They're not going to the playoffs in 2018. IMO that would have been the only compelling reason to sign Johnson.

That said, I'm not upset that they signed him. It may help give the Jets a little more respect and make it a little more desirable place to play. If he can help some of our young CBs to develop, all the better.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Where are they going to find that younger CB? Everyone wants a QB with the 6th pick, I'm sure no one wants to see Minka Fitzpatricks name being called from the podium, even though he can be with the jets for the next four years on a reasonably inexpensive contract.

The current CBs on jets roster not named Johnson, are not going to get the job done unless the jets go exclusivley to a cover 2 defense and keep Mayes and Adams over the top.

The FA market always overpays players, that's why I'm not being critical of the money. I was a Mac defender over his first couple of years but the fact is, his drafts have been poor and that's why the team will not be in a good position once again this year. FA is used as a complement to fill holes on a team that has drafted well. I'm on the verge of conceding that Mac is a disciple of Casserly and has proven to suck just like Casserly.

#198 Red Menace, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Hopefully you are right. There are videos of him getting torched by Julio Jones and Dez Bryant too. I'm thinking we overpaid here.

The upside is he's incredibly athletic and has great ball skills. He'll have more INTs than most CBs we see here. I just don't think he's a guy we can count on to lock down a side. I'm expecting us fans to have a love hate relationship with this guy.

Watching him, I want the Jets to bring back Claiborne. My preference is Claiborne covers the #1 receiver and Johnson the #2. But we'll see.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets got their face shoved in the sand by the Vikings with the Cousins thing. They were striking out everywhere.

Players consider the Jets a running joke.

If they were going to sign a top FA, their only choice was to grossly overpay him.

I agree about Mo Claiborne. There's no way they'll sign Matthieu, no matter what people think.

And yes, this is me speaking in absolutes hoping to be proven wrong.

xxedge72x likes this.