Jets resign Josh McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Mar 13, 2018.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

michael vick

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Kurt Warner? Tommy Maddox?

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Two years off because of a major injury I meant.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

And I take back what I said after seeing this tweet about Macs comment!

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

With Bridgewater signed too now I can sadly see them passing on a QB. Maybe your right. I really hope that shit doesn’t happen. Both guys are on 1 year deal we need to draft QB1.

#245 HardHitta, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think we can probably make book that he won't draft a QB.

7. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i agree with michael kay. signing mc cown for $10 million was stupid! if you want him to be a mentor, sign him to be the qb coach, not to the active roster. had they done that last year, and played petty and/or hack, we would have a pick far better than #6 and would not have to trade up to get the guy they want at qb, or could trade down for a boatload of picks, then take falk/white/lauletta in round 3 or later. build up the rest of the team first, then get the franchise qb next year. but alomost 50 years of doing it wrong has not taught the owner anything.

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Mac has carried 4 QBs in the past and he has acknowledged that these signings won't prevent jets from taking a QB with 6th pick.

All I'm saying is that it wouldn't surprise me if they kept Teddy, Mcown and Hack.

9. NCJetsfan

They could, and I definitely would rather they do that, than not draft a QB high. If they're going to keep those 3 and their plan is to then go BPA at #6 and then draft a QB in the 2nd-4th rounds, I'd rather they not even bother. I don't like any of the QBs that will be available in those rounds. If he doesn't trade up for Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold, I want him gone.

10. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Good grief I hope not. We don't need another 4 QB rotation going on. If Hack is QB3, I would hope that means we didn't even bother with a rookie QB - even though that would drive me absolutely insane and would lead me to becoming a major alcoholic to get through the season with McCown, Bridgewater and Hackenberg.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Fucking Jets.

This dude signed while he was having lunch at Chick fil A.

God I hate this team.

12. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

How old is this guy now? 39?

A extra $10 million at 39 good for him I'm not gonna hate but maaaaan not only can I not figure out what this guy has done to make that $10 million in 2018 but how he's stuck around the league as long as he has.

Guy hasn't come close to winning jack **** EVER.

When I think of QBs that old still playing it's usually future HOF types Brett, Brady, Manning, Brees LOL McCown is a frickin' JAG.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Pray that McCown 2.0 isn't Fitz 2.0 or we're fckd 2.0...

MurrellMartin likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

It’s not even close to the same situation.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

bullshit... Both guys are old as dirt and on second contracts. The Fitz 2.0 contract was the biggest heist since Lufthansa based on how it turned out. McCown's second contract had better produce more ROI. Not only that, Nobody was bidding against Macc for McCown OR Fitz. How many more similarities do you require?

Hell, I'd be happy if McCown survives the entire schedule. He's 39 years old for chrissakes. He's also 5-11 with the Jets. Not hard to improve but a disaster if we go 5-11 again.

#255 Cman68, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    stinkyB likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

I guess my question would be why are you under the assumption McCown was brought here to win? Because that’s what Fitz was brought back to do. I think the plan is pretty damn obvious and that alone renders all the contract stuff irrelevant. I mean the guy already said he has no problem mentoring a young QB from the sidelines of being a stopgap to our next young QB. Meanwhile Fitz was holding out for more money. The similarities between the two situations, with context provided, couldn’t be any more minimal.

Again, $10 mil to secure the guy who his teammates love and bolsters your locker room while being able to be serviceable on the field (til the QB in training is ready) is hardly a big deal especially when you have $90 mil free and it’s a one year deal that doesn’t hurt the team in the slightest.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The main difference is Fitz was brought back to be the guy that leads them to a playoff berth and competes for a SB with. McCown was brought back as a fallback option in case Teddy B can’t get healthy and/or they don’t get the guy they want in draft. I would think he was also brought back to help mentor Teddy B and the rook.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This was the worst signing of the whole damn offseason.

Was there any competition for Mcclown's services?? of course not. So why would you sign him for $10 million on the first day of free agency? Wait it out for God's sake, WTF macc.

Mehta said that Mcclown and Cousins have the same agent and the Jets offered Cousins a healthy offer but made it clear they didn't want to drag it out with Cousins going back and forth because they didn't want to miss out on his other client, Mcclown, if Cousins ended up signing elsewhere. Now-- regardless of your feelings on Cousins, what a half assed way to approach the situation.

You didn't want to miss out on Mcclown, really??? the 40 year old dude eating at mcdonalds, an average guy his whole career, finds out he just got a $10 mill contract because the Jets didn't want to miss out on him. Even he was probably laughing at that.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to bet anything that he won't. The fact he made it to the Denver game last year was nothing short of a miracle.

We'll be seeing Bridgewater or the rookie (Unless we are dumb enough to stick with Petty or Hack as QB3 and not take a QB, in which case this regime should be fired IDC who they signed in FA) by November, more likely than not.

20. NCJetsfan

Bowles loves him some mcclown. BTW love the "mcclown."