Poll: Should We Sign Kirk Cousins?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Yes or No

1. Yes

59.8%
  2. No

40.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

JetLifeLo likes this.
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It might be better to sign Foles or Keenum to a 3 or 4 year deal at far less that it would cost to sign Cousins and then they could use the #6 to draft one of the top QBs or better yet to draft Barkley. (assuming Foles or Keenum are FAs by then)

3. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Investing in the o line and drafting a QB is a winning strategy and will get us out of medicore

I think he just rather spread the money out than spend all of it on a top 15 QB.

4. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I looked at this poll and voted no without thinking because obviously signing Cousins would be the losing move. But upon a few seconds reflection I've changed my mind. Sign Cousins to make sure the Jets land back in the hallowed halls of mediocrity for the next 7 years. Sign Bowles to a lifetime contract. Maccagnan too. Then I can just give up all pretense of hoping the Jets might wake up one day and learn how to be a winning football team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

To get this thread back on track the simple answer is hell yes. We have a dire need at QB forever and luckily a very good QB is available in FA when we have a ton of cap space to spend.

Unfortunately he will probably choose the Vikes though.

FJF likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Not one of those teams had the cap room to come anywhere near what we can offer so that theory doesn't fit.

Denver had too cut players to offer a low ball offer, making their team even less desirable. Never mind being able to add talent.

No one knows what Minny wants to do, they could sign the QB who took them to the NFCCG and spend the difference for Cousins to improve the team.

Why would anyone want to go to the Cards? Makes no sense over others

nicg4360 likes this.
  7. abc

abc Well-Known Member

No thx, kirk ISN'T all that... & MOST Definitely Not worth the money... Draft accordingly, sign good players that are not going to break the bank... resign McCown- he already knows the system, the players & would be a good mentor... Draft Mayfield @ 6, Start McCown, Start Mayfield by game 6.

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Guys plus @jetophile . You think we should keep this thread open or shall we just merge it with the existing Kirk thread. I truly don't want to over-moderate the board but also don't want multiple threads on the same topic as well. If we merge, we will lose the Yay or Nay vote count. If we don't then we will have 2 seperate Kirk threads. Let me know.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If we had a CS that actually COULD develop QBs, and were willing to let them see the field, I would agree with this approach, but the reality is that your rookie QB will wither on the vine with the current CS and be a wasted pick.

I like your thinking though.

nicg4360 likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Maybe let it go a couple of days before merging it so we get some more votes. I don't know if the % will really change much though.

11. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

No. He is overrated. Stupid idea to give that much money to an overrated player. Draft a QB.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If we take Mayfield I could care less where Cousins goes.

13. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

It is? How many times has that strategy worked for the Jets in the last 50 year? Was that not just the strategy with Geno Smith? How about Sanchez for that matter? There's and old saying that goes something like this, "you don't worry about the side dishes if you are sure you have the main course." With that in mind, and given the Jets history of failed attempts to solve the QB position, I think over investing there is a wise choice, but it's just my opinion.

15. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I want cousins in green and white but will admit this....watching Mayfield in some games this year he would come in with a lot of qualities that don't need excessive development. On the other hand Allen will need development just like petty although he is not the same horror show that Hack is.
    I think the amount of development needed for the QB has to be high on the list of what MM needs to consider. Maybe number 1. He obviously is ok with it seeing the two QBs he has drafted...that has to go out the window. Allen/Jackson those types will not work in NY. I see minimum a year on the sidelines with them. Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen would have the best shot...will all need to be slowly pushed into the starting role...maybe 1/2 way through the season and I think someone like McCown would be ideal for helping them along.

16. Jets777

Jets777 Member

We must not sign Kirk Cousins for 30 millions a year. He is not worth his talent. He is probably around 10 to 13 millions a year because he is available! If NY Giants is looking for trade down then go trade up for Rosen or Darnold! They are best the rookie quartback!

17. shasta01

shasta01 Active Member

This "too much money" mind set among Jets fans baffles me? You haven't had a QB of Cousins level in 20 plus years and your worried about his asking price? This is a franchise that does little worrying about it's fans $$$ while consistently giving them a mediocre to awful on field product.

18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

How about closing the older one and keeping this one? The vote in the old one doesn't mean much anymore. Anyone who wants to refer to posts in the old one should still be able to do so, right? Any new posts can be posted to this one. BTW, you're doing an excellent job as moderator!!!

Ralebird, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  19. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

The issue with this "30 Million" everyone has a problem with signing KC to is this. He probably is not worth that. In fact he isn't but that is what the market dictates. Every QB that is average or better benefits when their contract is up and has multiple teams wanting him. He doesn't even have to drive up the price....the market will do it for him.

20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

something tells me that the Vikes are going to land kirk cousins... it just makes the most sense for him tbh. so if we can't land kirk... I feel like the jets MUST trade up in the draft. at LEAST to the 2 spot. we CANNOT allow another team to jump in front of us and take our plan B whether it be Darnold Mayfield or Rosen. we should aggressively go after what we want and not settle for what we can get. we have 2 2nds so thank seattle for making this a much easier probability than it could've been had we not traded them Sheldon.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.