Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wow Cimini actually not blowing smoke out of his ass and doing some actual work.

I still feel a little conflicted, Cousins is a proven commodity, but getting Darnold, Rosen or Jackson would be really nice ... but as long as 1 of those 4 are playing QB for the Jets next season, I will be extremely happy.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Huge yuck on Jackson. I pray he ends up with the Dolphins or Bills so they waste the next 5 years trying to make him an NFL QB. If we had a guaranteed shot at Darnold or Rosen, I'd say see ya Kirk. But that's nothing new, I think ever pro-Cousins person has said that at least once in this thread but the anti-Cousins folks are just hellbent on talking about how scared we are of drafting a QB.

HomeoftheJets and stinkyB like this.
  3. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

I personally believe Cousins could make us a Super Bowl contender. Maybe not in 2018, but by 2019 or 2020 if things are done correctly. A far cry from where we are now, having the third longest playoff drought in the NFL -- and yes, give me the proven, Top 10 commodity over an unknown kid who we will have to mortgage draft capital to trade up for or get the 3rd or 4th best QB at 6.

joe and nicg4360 like this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

2 QB prospects I'd like, and another I'd be OK with at #6...... and there's a good chance they all will be picked before the JETS at 6

5. MurrellMartin

For some reason there is a portion of this fan base that is way too overly concerned with how the Jets spend their money. I will never understand it. A deal with Cousins in no way hurts the cap in 2018, 2019 or 2020 and after that, I'm sure the contract will be structured in a way where the Jets could get out of it if things go array with little to no cap ramifications. People just don't like to pay anyone big amounts of $ unless they're Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, but that's just not how the NFL works.

TonyFtLaud, All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

You said this before and I already disputed that notion. We can simply agree to disagree, check my Lamar Jackson thread. It won't take him 5 years that's a ridiculous assessment. McCown also disagrees with that.

Darnold, Rosen, Jackson or Cousins ... no Mayfield or Allen.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

I'll just never agree on Jackson. I don't see an NFL QB when I look at him. Either way I don't see Macc ever going for him. But at least we can agree Allen would be a disaster.

8. 101GangGreen101

Thats fair, I hope you aren't judging him based off his first 2 years in college and not this year. Check the thread is all I can say. Saying hes not an NFL qb when you look at him, is not a good enough argument IMO. but again this thread is about Cousins.

9. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

All fanbases worry about the money. It's definitely an odd thing.

Even if you draft a decent QB(hit rate is around 56-58% in the entire first round the last few years across all positions) you're still going to have to pay him a boatload of money.

And that contract/extension usually comes before they show any consistency. Mariota/Carr are good examples of this.

MurrellMartin and FJF like this.
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

What is the likelihood a team has an established and good o line, running game and receiver but is so bad they are drafting in the top 6 because all that is missing a QB?

No, you don’t pass on drafting a potential franchise QB simply because you don’t have the other positions secured.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Yes, those other positions can be filled over the next 2 off seasons while the rookie QB grows and the team can become a contender again. That is if Mac makes the right moves in free agency and the draft, which is a big if.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Of course he wouldn’t have. However he worked under some great offensive minds and they’re connected to our OC so the familiarity will help.

I remember hearing in Hahn and Humpty one day Rick say the Jets should let someone else draft a quarterback, develop them and then sign or trade for them and it made me laugh but it’s true.

Our history shows we can build a strong OL and Run Game. Get the QB however and blend it all together.

Wide Receivers will be fine as long as they have time to get open and a QB who can deliver the ball.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, that's ideal, but this is not an ideal world or an ideal NFL franchise. QBs are much tougher to find/get that OL, RBs and WRs, so if you're smart, you take them when you can get them, then you build the team around them.

The Jets already have very high potential to have very good rushing attack. Powell is no slouch and neither is McGuire. With this deep and very good (if not great) class of RBs, the Jets could very easily get a QB at #6 and then a topflight RB prospect like Michel, Chubb, Penny or Guice with their 1st pick of the 2nd round. I like all those backs. There are also some bigger backs who are very good, and the point could be made that in order to have a more balanced rushing attack, the Jets need a bigger, more powerful RB since both Powell and McGuire are smaller/faster/quicker.

As for the OL, it could go a LONG way towards becoming very good in FA. The Jets could potentially sign Andrew Norwell to replace Carpenter at LG, then sign any one of the 7 potential FAs at C who are all starters now and range in age from something like 24 or 25-27. There are also several younger RT starters who could be available in FA. Thus 3/5 of their OL could be upgraded in FA. Winters is going nowhere due to the big contract he signed last year. Beachum isn't going anywhere this year because of the dead money hit the Jets would take, and there's probably no one to replace him in either FA or the draft. There are 2-3 good potential LT prospects in the draft, but in order to get one of them, the Jets would probably have to take him at #6 or after trading down only a few spots. They'll probably have to address that in next year's draft.

As you said, the WR corps is in pretty good shape and trending upwards. If they sign Allen Robinson in FA, their WR corps will look a whole lot better. In terms of their passing attack, both Powell and McGuire are excellent receivers, and if they draft Michel or one of several other RBs in the draft, they are excellent receivers as well. TE still remains a question mark. They'd need to re-sign ASJ or perhaps sign the backup TE from the Eagles if he becomes a FA, and Leggett would need to stay healthy and develop, but they certainly have the potential to have a solid, if not very good TE corps.

Thus, signing Cousins isn't the "be-all" or "end-all" to fixing the Jets' offense or team.

14. NCJetsfan

I don't believe that Cousins could make us a SB contender, at least not with Bowles as HC and Mac as the GM. All Cousins will succeed in doing with the Jets is to keep both of those guys employed as the Jets' HC and GM, and the team mediocre. If Mac maneuvered (traded up) or knew what the other teams were doing and stayed put and got us our FQB at #6, I'd be a lot more hopeful about the Jets' future and our chances of getting to and winning a SB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

How is the bolded true? When teams spend time developing QBs, and with as rare as good QBs are, teams don't trade them or allow them to leave in FA if they're that good and the teams believe in them. In addition, getting a QB that way means that you are going to get less than 10 years out of them and you're going to be paying them higher prices than if you drafted and developed one yourself.

16. MurrellMartin

There's no doubt his job will be very hard with Bowles as the Head Coach. Here's hoping he, and the addition of other talented players around him, can mask the majority of the deficiencies. If he can't, he won't be the one let go. It will be this regime.

17. NCJetsfan

You just can't say the bolded. Yes, the Jets will try to structure the contract in such a way that it won't hurt the team in future years, but Cousins and/or his agent may not be willing to sign a contract like that. They may want the financial aspects doled out differently. Even if they are willing to sign a contract like that, there are no guarantees that Cousins will play as well on the Jets as he did on the Redskins or that he will stay healthy, and if those latter two things occur, then his contract will definitely hurt the team.

18. NCJetsfan

Cousins should be able to play well enough for the Jets to still have a good enough record for Bowles to remain as HC. We've seen how low the Johnsons' standards are, and how they seem to like Bowles. With the young, hungry players that Mac has added to the team, Cousins should keep the Jets in the 7-9 to 9-7 range even with Bowles deficiencies. That wouldn't happen with a rookie QB. To begin with Bowles probably wouldn't even play him. He'd opt for the vet the Jets signed as a backup/insurance, and there's a very good chance that that vet would be McCown or someone of that level, and the Jets would wind up 5-11 again or maybe worse. THAT should get Bowles fired.

19. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I'm in the get a QB camp:
    -If the draft occurred before free agency, I'd be in the trade what it takes to move up to #1 or #2 camp.
    -Since Free Agency comes first, I'm in the pay up for Cousins camp.

We can't walk away from this offseason with out a medium to long term answer at QB. If we can trade up to #1 before the start of free agency, do it. Otherwise break the bank for Cousins.

TurkJetFan likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

Chris Johnson already stated that the playoffs aren't a mandate in 2018 and he just signed Bowles/Macc to an extension, so the bolded theory goes right out the window.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.