Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

We might not have to trade up. If we take Cousins there's a solid chance CLE, NYG, and DEN will all be going for QBs. So unless CLE or IND takes Barkley (Less likely with the Colts as they recently drafted Marlon Mack and have Frank Gore. Browns also have solid RBs in Crowell and Duke Johnson), he could be available at #6. Either way, picking up Kirk Cousins in FA would yield us a top non-QB draft prospect ahead of #6 value and/or a bundle of draft picks if we are in a spot another team wants.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That is my fervent hope if we sign Cousins...the silver lining in the Cousins Cloud.

Except for the Minkah Fitzgerald part. Macc should be barred from drafting any secondary for at least three years. I really want him to focus on the offense, but I could be okay with a stud pass rusher, but more secondary with the 1st pick? NFW!

3. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

Just my opinion, but ideally if you're going to take a QB number 6 in the draft and look to develop him, you would already have an offensive line built to look after him. You would already have a high class running game to take some pressure off and you'd have quality at the wide receiver position. Jets are trending up at WR but elsewhere, it's thin and that's a tough situation for any rookie to come into.

For that reason, the Jets should be pushing all out to get an experienced, trusted QB in free agency to rebuild this offence around. Kirk Cousins is the man to do that - best QB in the league, no way but very competent and can make an impact from day one. Barclay looks great but the running back class in this draft is deep and our needs elsewhere are even greater. Add quality in skill positions in the draft and FA, Cousins at QB if you can and if not then the next best, FA QB

4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

you left out INTs. And the most important statto me: when the INTs occur. Maybe it is no bo.g deal. But if you want to post stats, post them all. I cannot say much about him. I have only seen him lose to bad Giants teams

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This has been one of my main selling points in cousins the whole time.

nicg4360 likes this.
  6. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

7. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

This is a great point. Having a solid QB that is developed (whoever thought) with our very thin offence would help vs having a very green rookie with a thin offence...that sounds like an episode for disaster. There also is the argument that if we did draft a rookie we also sign a bridge QB and develop (there's that word again) him behind the vet for a year while we build up the offence. Problem with that...the jets ineptitude to develop rookies...specifically QBs.

Metstrife likes this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Public Service Announcement for the doofuses that have been arguing against Cousins this entire thread yet don’t even know his name. It’s KIRK Cousins, not KURT Cousins. Ok now that we got that out of the way..

The only argument against KIRK is what he will get paid, that is a very valid concern. However we have a ton of money available with a crying need at the position at the position forever. Who else would you rather spend the money on? Players of Cousins caliber don’t get to FA, ever. Would you be ok making Norwell the highest paid guard in NFL history? Which will happen if he gets to FA.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  9. Attackett

One of the reasons I’ve gone over to the Cousins side is I am starting to see a very likely scenario to Barkley being available to the Jets who I think might be the best offensive player the draft has seen since Julio. You’re telling me the Jets offense isn’t much improved with Cousins, Barkley & a couple OL additions??

1.Browns- 100% QB here
    2. Giants- biggest threat imo to taking Barkley but QB will likely win out here
    3. Colts- switching to 4-3 D, would think Chubb is a lock here.
    4. Browns- Could Go Barkley here but they have some talent at RB and a crying need for a playmaker in secondary. Minkah fills a need and is worth the pick here.
    5. Broncos - very likely to go QB here if the Jets end up with Cousins.

Leaving the Jets with the best player in the draft which fits Macs need to go BPA, only this time it’s an explosive offensive player.

Obviously nothing is set in stone as far as the draft goes in late February but at this point in time this seems like the likeliest outcome.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  10. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Not only that, but thanks to horrific drafting, outside of maybe Enunwa (we'll see with his neck) and Anderson (we'll see with his immaturity) who does this franchise need to re-sign before Leonard Williams in 2020? There's really no one and the few that you might want back will not be costly. Couple that with the fact that our cap situation is as good if not better in 2019, the ever growing salary cap in the NFL and the fact that teams are mandated to spend at least 89% of their 2017-2020 cap room by the end of 2020, well, Cousins just makes so much sense and that's without delving into the football aspect of it. He's a damn good player, not great but good, and if the team around him is halfway decent, they will compete for the playoffs for 3-5 years and who knows. Maybe we'll get lucky and do even more than that.

All Gas No Shake, FJF and dawinner127 like this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

A+ post

MurrellMartin, FJF and nicg4360 like this.
  12. nicg4360

I think what plays into the Kirk hate (other than the massive contract) is that the anti Kirk's for the most part have likely been following the top four college QBs all year and now that the jets are within reach of at least one of them it seemed a forgone conclusion that's the way the jets would go. With Kirk making it to FA that's put a huge question mark in drafting a QB at 6. I guess if I had a hard-on for one of the top 4 all year lol and Kirk cousins comes and ruins the party i would be pissed to lol. I am all for Kirk but wouldn't be disappointed with Mayfield.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  13. Attackett

I get that, I’ve been there. I’ve been following and watching whatever I can find on these QBs since the moment we stupidly passed on Mahomes. My big fear and another reason I’ve become pro cousins is that I think it’s likely that 3 QBs are gone by the time the Jets pick as I don’t see the Broncos as a realistic landing spot for Cousins.

So then we gotta hope that Mac likes the 4th QB and is willing to stake his career on selecting the 4th QB. Or Mac would have to trade up for likely the 3rd QB and I think we can all agree we’d rather not see that happen. I’m not completely opposed to trading up for the QB they love but I can’t see how that’s a better option than bringing in a ready made good QB while still having all our picks to draft talent that supports him.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If people rank Mayfield the 4th best QB out of the
    Exactly. The last thing I want to do is settle for whatever is given to us.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you have to wonder why I'm talking about stats, look no further than you and the other guy putting a TEAM'S RECORD on a quarterback, which is always dumb, but then on top of it you want to just sweep 10-12 statistical categories under the rug that all say the defense played a MUCH bigger role than the quarterback in their mediocrity. It's not off track. You don't understand it because it's valid and you don't want a valid argument, you just want me to agree with you.

And this is rich... you don't know "why this is a thing now" in reference to the overblowing of Cousins' ability is a thing now? Oh, I don't know, maybe because you made a post full of sarcasm and embellishment where you pretended all pro-Cousins people are calling him the best ever because he has good numbers and nothing could possibly go wrong? Look within my friend.

The cap argument is getting older and older by the day. Yes, it's a huge number. No, he's not "worth it" in comparison to how better QBs than him are paid. Yes, this is how the QB market works. No, it's not going to ruin our salary cap this year if we pay him big bucks and no it's not going to ruin us down the line. Yes, you'd love to get Cousins for $10 mil less and spend that on another player but YES WE HAVE $70 MILLION LEFT OVER! See: Jaguars, Jacksonville. I'd say spending big worked out pretty well for them. They are a QB away from being in the Super Bowl. That defense is just insane, and not all of it was homegrown.

Also, here we go again with "he had better talent around him and couldn't win" stuff. I can't do that with you anymore. You're not even going to try and see it my way. You're the guy who rattled off a list of names his played with trying to imply he had all of those guys around him his whole career? One of the guys he never even shared the field with! One he played with for a single year. The core group of guys you listed he had ONE year with. And his best weapon, Reed, can't play more than half a season. I said it before and I'll say it again... Enunwa, Anderson and Kearse would all be top WR options on the Redskins TODAY. But this isn't a topic of convo that's going to go anywhere. You have your feelings, I have mine, and hey, that's ok.

Also you can't just say "here's the things I don't think matter" and expect everyone else to go along with it. That ain't how the world works or I'd be owning the Jets rather than paying to see them.

MurrellMartin and FJF like this.
  16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

we've simply GOT to make as aggressive as an offer as we can to Kirk. He is a VERY good QB. Simply look at his numbers over the last 3 years. It's rare that a QB of his caliber hits free agency. We are actually for once extremely lucky. If we can't get him then we can draft a QB. We will have our QB either way. But my top choice is Kirk. I'd MUCH rather sign a guy we KNOW is a quality QB than draft a guy and HOPE he is. Again, I'm more than happy to draft one if we can't get Kirk but he absolutely has to be the top priority. We can stabilize the QB position for many years with Kirk with a known commodity. And that is not something that happens often.

Either way, not even the Jets will be able to screw this up.

FJF likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

ESPN did a mock free agency with Kirk Cousins. Each beat writer typed up an offer with numbers and reasoning. Cimini absolutely hits the nail on the head and puts pretty much any doubt of being able to build around him to rest:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...es-seven-offers-sign-quarterback-picking-best

18. nicg4360

I don't understand how people figure Kirk is going to get wildly overpaid....Jimmy G got 27.5 M a year I believe. Jimmy has played less than 10 games less than one season. The market was set the day he signed that contract. Sucks for us I guess. Cousins has played 3 seasons and played well each season. Why is 30 M so unheard of for a bonafide starter when a guy played just a few more games than a backup gets $27.5.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  19. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

The only thing that makes me pump the brakes on this plan a little bit is wouldn't your team be even better yet if you got Quenton Nelson at #6 and then one of the 2nd round running backs? Obviously no Barkley, but still a potentially impact pro RB to go with the already good duo we have?

While not flashy and splashy I am just starting to think the potential trio of Cousins, Nelson and 2nd round RB might pay off more solidly. I guess if Barkley is Adrian Peterson 2.0 this would be a bad idea but if he's a mere human great offensive lines just make everything and every one better on offense. Heck just a few weeks ago a dominant offensive line helped Nick Foles win a Super Bowl. I dare say he probably doesn't pull that off with the Jets offensive line subbing in for the Eagles.

All Gas No Shake, FJF and Metstrife like this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Be back at square one after 3 years?
    [​IMG]

Or, roll the dice in the draft with a chance to be in business
    beyond merely "competing FOR the playoffs" for the next 10+ years?
    [​IMG]

I'm so conflicted..

ColoradoContrails likes this.