Kirk Cousins Mega Thread. Post all your thoughts under this thread.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Your best option at QB if Mac cannot get Kirk Cousins?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2018.
  1. Sign Case Keenum

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Sign Teddy Bridgewater

22 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Sign Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Sign Drew Brees

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Trade for Alex Smith

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Trade for Nick Foles

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Sam Darnold

18 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Trade for Browns No. 1 Overall Pick: Draft Josh Rosen

27 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Stay at 6 and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

72 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Trade up for Colts 3rd or Browns 4th Overall Pick and draft a QB: Post Your Choice

23 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

This sentiment amongst Jets fans to not want to pay Kirk Cousins is just baffling. Is he the best QB in the league? Not even close, but he at the very least stabilizes the position for the next 4-5 years and instantly makes the team competitive.

If the Jets don’t get Cousins then they will likely re-sign McCown and try their luck in the draft. Maybe it will work out, maybe it won’t.

This QB class has a lot of hype, but it’s doubtful that all these guys will end up being the answer for their respective team.

2. Yeah, I'm with you. At this point take a QB round 1,explore Cousins at a reasonable deal or just keep building up the rest of the team to wait till next year ...No more mid round project long shots. We've drafted more QB's than any team dating back many years & only 1 of them was taken in Round 1;2 if you go back to Penny. And surprise both were easily the best of the bunch over a 16 game season. The non 1st round names are ugly.

Agree about Barkely or no 1st round RB at all.

I'd rather trade down 6-7 spots & take Connor Williams or even reach on Quenton Nelson than go defense again. This is a decent class for offensive talent even beyond QB..if ever there was a year to break the cycle of repeatedly going defense..this is it.

ColoradoContrails and zace like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Was there hype when Wentz or Goff got drafted??

There will never be ANY YEAR for the Jets to draft a QB..and do it the slow steady way to a SB..way too threatening for most fans

My translation of "stability" is " mediocrity"

The draft is where the next Kurt Cousins and hopefully better than that ARE FOUND

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Jesus dude. I don’t care about that the stats. Who is right or wrong within that argument.

You are obviously pro Cousins, you are defending against my points in which I AM stating he wouldn’t be a good idea at that price range for this Jets team.

So, while debating with me personally, you haven’t talked about much else besides his stats.

Now your trying to make an argument for the entire community in which they don’t feel he is a flawless QB.

That goes both ways, the anti-Cousins group aren’t saying he is the worst QB in the league either.

Why this is a thing now, I’m not entirely sure?

I think the simple argument is..

Is KC, at this point in his career, a good fit for this team at the cap repercussions he will no doubt cause.

Which factors his skills Vs the rest of the talent on the roster and how the cap plays into that equation.

Can we focus on that? Possibly?

I don’t understand where all this off track stuff keeps coming from with you.

I’m at fault for falling for production of the past, getting into the technical aspects of it.

However. My only real point was that I felt the teams he’s had, has been more talented then anything we have now. The results he had with more talent around him, wasn’t enough, so I don’t see anything better with our team.

That’s my stance and the thing I would prefer to debate.

I’m not interested in the stuff that really doesn’t seem to matter in the grand scheme of things.

Can we get on the same page with that? Being serious. No sarcasm.

#1984 IIMeanDeanII, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

To me we have so many roster deficiencies we could go a number of ways. That's why I'm sold on the idea that this team will be markedly better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

What about the year before? Would you take Winston and Mariota over Cousins? How about Blake Bortles? Remember Mark Sanchez?

The draft is always a risky proposition for QB’s-Especially if you are picking outside of the Top 3.

If the Jets miss out on Cousins then I’m all for them drafting a QB. Hopefully whomever it is works out, but there is definitely no guaranty.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Giving HOF money to a guy who will never get to Canton? . Holy Toledo.

8. The team should absolutely take a huge step forward. However, I still think we're a year away from entering a window of serious contention. At many spots we're in a dillemna where we either have to choose starter or depth at many positions over.Can't get both done in one offseason regardless of the cap space & draft ammo. Depth is absolutely essential for sustainable success.

zace likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You'll have to forgive us if we can't see that because we can't imagine Cousins developing the way he did with Rex's, Schotty's, Sparano's and Mornhinweg's tutelage. It just doesn't compute.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think what people mean by him not starting a young player is that if he has a choice, he won't. If he has no other alternative, he will. Rather than allowing a rookie make mistakes that would enable him to learn and grow, Bowles would rather go with a vet who he thinks will make less mistakes. The question is: what's better for the team in the long run?

Put it this way: If Bowles had a choice between playing Tom Brady or Drew Bledsoe, who do you think he would pick? My money is on Bledsoe.

11. Jets777

Jets777 Member

We must not sign Kirk Cousins because he is not worth the top moneys. He is nothing his records for the winless games. He can't beat his division team because they are tough team be like NY Giants, Dallas Cowboys and Eagles. If Cousins wanted more moneys then forget about him! We can draft Allen or Mayfield or Rosen and Darnold. They are good the quartback rookie!

12. NCJetsfan

C'mon Dark. It's not that we're anti-Cousins. He's a very good QB. We just don't think it's the right move to bring in a 30 year old QB onto a young team that's years away from being a true contender for the Lombardi Trophy and then paying him $30 million per season or whatever. It would be one thing if this wasn't the best draft for QBs in years (and could be one of the best ever). Then that move could be justified to stop the rotating QB carousel.

The problem is that it is a great year for drafting a QB in the 1st round, and it's something the Jets have been needing to do for around a decade.

That's why several of us are against signing Cousins.

13. ColoradoContrails

I
    n order to get to and win a SB your QB may well have to bail out his defense. In this era of offense-driven football there is no such thing as a "shut down" defense. If Cousins can't do that, that's big hole in his resume. Now, maybe, he and the Jets get lucky and never have to win a "must win" game by coming back from 3 scores down in the 2nd half, but that could spell the difference between getting to/winning the SB and going home. Settling for a guy who isn't in the top 10 of QBs, paying him like a Top 5 QB, is a recipe for disappointment. But as starved for success - ANY success - as Jets fans are, many are willing to risk disappointment, after all, we're Jets fans, we're used to that. But when they get bounced from a critical game because their defense had an off day, and Cousins couldn't make up for it, remember: that's the bargain you made.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I think there's a very good chance that Mayfield could wind up the best QB in this class. I can see Rosen retiring in a year or two due to concussions, or turning out to be another Cutler. I can see Darnold being a heart-breaker, showing flashes at times, having great games, followed by abysmal games. I can see Allen being a star or a bust, but more likely a bust.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, good post, and completely understandable. Most of us are well informed fans who understand football. Then there are some who just say dumb stuff like "COUSINS SUCKS" or "1st Round QB will lead Jets to the Super Bowl!" I am completely fine with fans not wanting to sign Cousins for that price or because they want a particular 1st Round QB. I am actually in the same boat as many of you who don't want Cousins, as I am a fan of Darnold, Allen and Mayfield. I assumed for so long that that would be the route the Jets would take. Now with Cousins available, I think it makes sense to pursue him, but it is not so simple as to say "I want Cousins and not a 1st Round QB".

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I like Mayfield, and I'd be happy if we get him. If the draft was before free agency, and Mayfield was available at 6, I'd definitely consider taking him and forgetting about Cousins. But if Cousins goes somewhere other than Denver, I think we'll be stuck with Allen at 6.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I disagree that Mayfield is better than Darnold, but if I interviewed Mayfield and felt I could trust him, I'd take him over Rosen who comes with his own set of concerns.

18. NCJetsfan

You're probably right that we're looking at Allen or Jackson in the 1st or someone like Rudolph in the 2nd or Falk in the 3rd, or maybe White or the other kid that played so well in the Sr. Bowl (Lauretta, or something like that). If that's the case, I may wish we had signed Cousins, but I also know that I'd be sick if we signed Cousins and then Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold are sitting there at #6 and we passed (as we should if we sign Cousins).

19. ColoradoContrails

I'll say this: If the Jets sign Cousins, I would love to see Macc trade up and get Barkley if at all possible. I believe Barkely wold elevate Cousins game to the next level.

Attackett and almbleamal like this.
  20. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I was also on the fence about Drafting a QB vs Kirk Cousins. Here's the tiebreaker:

-Signing Kirk Cousins means that CLE, NYG, and DEN will be in prime spots to draft QBs early. Maybe a team even drafts into CLE's 4th spot and up to 3-4 QBs go before our spot. If that happens, we will have Top 3 draft talent at No. 6 with the potential to pick one up or trade back for a bundle.

If we prevent these teams from picking up Kirk there is a strong chance that either Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Minkah Fitzpatrick, or Quenton Nelson are available at #6.

Perhaps even a QB falls to No. 6 and a team trades up to our spot and offers us something amazing. Us signing Kirk means that another team still needs a QB, and being QB independent in this draft is going to pay off for teams....we can be one of them.