Why Jets can reach Super Bowl within next 3 years

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Why Jets can reach Super Bowl within next 3 years
    Posted February 12, 2018 at 06:00 AM | Updated February 12, 2018 at 06:05 AM

0 shares
    0 Comment

Darrryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    The Jets haven't made the playoffs since 2010, when they reached their second of two straight AFC title games. But all is not lost for them. Let's lay out some reasons why this long-tortured franchise can make the Super Bowl within the next three years — after either the 2018, 2019, or 2020 season, with the latter two being more likely than 2018.

[​IMG]
    Frank Ordonez | The Post-Standard

The Jets, of course, have played in just one Super Bowl, after the 1968 season, when Joe Namath and Co. famously won Super Bowl III over the Baltimore Colts.

2018 COULD BE YEAR OF QB
    If you need a franchise quarterback (as the Jets do, and have for a while), then this sure
    looks like the year to need one. Not only is Kirk Cousins about to hit free agency (and the Jets have a ton of salary cap space), but this year's draft looks like a strong one for quarterbacks — Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield, and Josh Allen. The Jets pick sixth overall, so Darnold and Rosen probably won't fall that far. The Jets could always trade up if they don't get Cousins in free agency.

LOADS OF SALARY CAP SPACE

As we just mentioned, the Jets have the cap space (between $90 million and $97 million, probably) to patch up their roster ... and not just at the quarterback position. The Jets obviously have a bunch of other needs — No. 1 wide receiver, edge rusher, cornerback — in addition to quarterback. They've got the ability now, though, to go address those needs in free agency, which is where general manager Mike Maccagnan usually likes to address positional needs, while preferring to take the best player available at a draft slot.

TOM BRADY IS AGING (WE THINK)
    Look, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has to start declining at some point. Right? Right? Brady just won his third league MVP award ... at age 40. The guy isn't going to play until 45 or 50, though. (Or is he?) Either way, the more time passes, the better Brady's chances of declining (we think). And that could open the door for the Jets in the AFC East, at long last.

JUST LOOK AT THE EAGLES
    Things can change quickly in today's NFL. The Eagles won seven games in each of the past two seasons. This year, they won 13 games and then won the Super Bowl. Of course, it helps to have a franchise quarterback (like Carson Wentz) in place. And that Nick Foles guy as a reliable veteran backup wasn't too bad of a pickup, either. Just goes to show: If you establish a strong defense with the right roster moves, and correctly address the quarterback position, you definitely can win it all. (Doing those two things clearly is not easy.)

... OR THE JAGUARS
    Yes, the Jaguars didn't reach the Super Bowl this season. But they're a prime example of a team that turned things around very quickly. The Jaguars lost to the Patriots in the AFC title game, after a 10-win regular season. In the previous six seasons, the Jaguars won three, five, three, four, two, and five games. So there is hope for teams in that sort of dire situation. The Jaguars can maybe be an example for the Jets.

JETS' CUPBOARD ISN'T ENTIRELY BARE
    Yes, the Jets are coming off back-to-back, five-win seasons. But they have some talented young players in their organization, including safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. The Jets aren't weighed down by aging veterans. They got rid of all those guys last offseason. They're rebuilding with younger players (Leonard Williams, too), and while it's not like all those young guys are stars, some look like they could be. The Jets have a foundation. Not a full one, but they've started laying the first layer of concrete, if you will.

REBUILDING THE RIGHT WAY
    The Jets aren't trying (at least not anymore) to take the quick rebuild route, patching up the roster with veterans (like Brandon Marshall) who don't have much time left in the NFL. No, the Jets hit the reset button last offseason, and smartly decided to go with a full-on rebuild, setting a foundation with younger players, through the draft. Of course, you have to draft well (Maccagnan's results so far are quite mixed), and sign at least a few elite free agents (Cousins?) to fill out a rebuild. But the Jets have the right idea with how they're doing this rebuild. Now let's see if they can actually go out and get a competent quarterback somehow this offseason.

IT HAS TO HAPPEN EVENTUALLY, RIGHT?
    Will the world end before the Jets win (or reach) another Super Bowl? Seriously, will it? Well, the odds are probably against that happening. A few previously hopeless franchises (Rams, Saints, Buccaneers, Colts) have won the Super Bowl since the turn of the century. There's no reason the Jets can't do the same ... if they get the right players in place (especially at the quarterback position, of course).

playtowinthegame and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Mainejet

I agree with a lot of what this says for the following reasons:

1) With how much the current economic landscape of the NFL has changed after the implementation of things like the salary cap and revenue sharing, parity has become a huge part of the league today. Teams go from worst to first quite often now. The difference between the best and worst teams in the NFL is not a huge talent disparity. Although the Jets appear to be very low on the talent list, if they draft well, this could very easily change.

2) As said in the article, this team has an enormous amount of cap space. I think it's reasonable to expect this team will be much better in 2018 regardless of what happens at QB.

But the key to all of this is DRAFTING. This is a hot button item for a lot of very good reasons. I'm not convinced Mac is worth his salt, but either way, we're going to find out over the next year or two. Just as much as 2014, was a huge, pivotal year for this team in regards to making or breaking the team, 2018 is just as much in my estimation........

3. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

they make that article like its the norm. The Eagles are the exception. Even when we get upstart teams who make it to the superbowl they normally get beaten by the standard teams of the last two decades. Steelers, Patriots etc.

So whilst you can go from a 5 win team to near the superbowl its rare they actually go on an win it. And its normally a one season thing before they return to whence they came. Like Atlanta.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Atlanta did well this year, they came closer to beating Philly than any other team in the playoffs.

5. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Besides needing a QB, an edge rusher, a center and another cb, we need the defense to step up. Bowles is supposed to be a D HC. Well, it more then past time for him to step up. He's got to work on stopping all the off sides and stupid penalties we take on both sides of the ball. The d has to be trained to get their hands up to impead the qb's line of sight to his receivers. Special teams aren't too bad but someone has to develop breakaway speed (or pick one up in the draft or fa). A lot of work for the coaches and scouting staff to improve the team as much as possible.

6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

In order to win the SB, Macc has to up his hit rates on the draft. The last couple of years we haven't had returns like we've wanted. Get at least three good starters in the next two drafts each and maybe we have a chance.

dogg, boozer32 and FJF like this.
  7. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles says hi.

Does anyone think TB is gonna lead this team (any team) to a SB?

I'l give ya, a team can turn things around rather quickly, but it takes more than just a few good players. You can't have the coaching staff shitting on the sidelines.

8. Mainejet

Everyone already knows Blowes is not the answer. However, we can still build in anticipation of getting a new HC once it becomes more obvious to Woody he made a mistake hiring Blowes. This thread is about Mac and his ability to draft the right people. The ONLY ways teams go from worst to first is when they have an especially good talent infusion. It could be debated if Mac is that guy. His drafts have been nothing special.

With that said, Mac has a golden opportunity if he finds a QB to put this team into position for continued success.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Great Post Maine

Yes get most of your players ..on young side thru FA and rebuild thru draft

I differ only on the subject of Kirk Cousins which I think would be a momentous mistake and not getting to the draft

1 You can't have a TRUE rebuild with a retread QB who is slightly above average...spending 34 Mil on him ..this also means as NC has pointed out we WONT DRAFT A QB...a TERRIBLE MISTAKe...Not sure KC even WANTS to come here

2 So many people doubt Macs ability cause of the Sackenberg disaster..I get it .however I am OPTIMISTIC he gets it right come draft day..my goodness there are 3 really good QBs with the BEST is Josh Rosen... I mean how EASY is that..Mac has also seen all the QBs on draft PLAY in PERSON...if he drafts Jackson or a lower tier QB or some one else at 6 I AM DONE AS A FAN...get to the podium and TRADE UP ..SECURE J ROSEN or at least Mayfield

100 per cent agree we do Rebuild with or without Toilet Bowles ...get the TALENT in place going forwards

playtowinthegame likes this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

From my perspective as a fan the Atlanta model is the one the Jets need to kind of follow. Atlanta did have one uber playmaker (Julio Jones) and a solid Kirk Cousins-ish level QB in Ryan but what really put them over the top obviously was just slamming a bunch of bullseyes with their free agents and draft pickups. All those fantastic defenders, Sano, the two RBs. That all came together quick but it was with fantastic drafting and pickups.

Jets really need to hit home runs with a couple #2 or #3 type picks over the next 2 seasons. As opposed to like.... Hackenberg.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

12. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

The ATL outcome would be ideal: sustained success. Ryan, Jones, Sanu, Trufant, Beasley, Alford -- they're all good, but the Falcon's best pickup was Dimitrioff. NFL games are played in stadiums but the battle to set each team's ceiling/floor occurs in the boardroom. More often than not, Dimitrioff has won those fights: hitting on the draft, FA, and manageable contracts. ATL is consistently contending despite injuries, and adversity.

The question for CJ is whether he thinks Mac is a warrior that can win in-season during the off-season. As fans, we've yet to see any evidence that he's a GM on par with Dimitrioff. However, Mac can begin to change that view in just a few months.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Cman68 likes this.
  14. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I think Mac has gotten better drafting but his mistakes aren't in the category of rookie mistakes they're red flag type mistakes that make people scratch their head thinking he's a buffoon (questionable QB picks and round 2 being the low-light). I expect him to continue to improve his drafting, it's FA signings that concern me. Throwing stupid money at aging players is something a monkey can do, I want my GM to be smarter than a monkey. Having tons of cap space and spending it foolishly will harm this team far more than a busted draft pick. Draft picks don't handcuff a team any longer with the rookie wage scale but paying a stupid amount of guaranteed money on a player on the decline will prevent a team from being able to fill holes in future years. Mac's fate will be sealed after the FA signing period not the draft. I hope he's up to the task. They've torn it down and started the re-build the right way so far. He needs to continue the path they're on otherwise the next GM will be saddled with overpaid unproductive players and little cap room to make necessary changes.

"If" Mac can do his job this will be a team that can attract a good HC to take them to the next level. If not, they're back at the starting gate with a new HC, new GM and team that could be in cap hell with little room to maneuver for several years. I'm tired of watching this re-run, it's time for competency to shine in this organization.

Greensleeves likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If we follow the Atlanta model, then do we blow a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl? :D

In all seriousness, Mac needs to nail this draft and free agency period. We need a QB, big play RB, C, edge rusher, and LT. Heck, I'd be ok if Mac traded up for Rosen or Darnold to be the FQB we've lacked for quite some time. That and signing FA's who will be productive for 3-5 years and not over the hill vets.

16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

deep in your heart, you know that will never happen. Mac and Bowles just aren't the right combination.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Super Bowl is not 3 years away for the Jets.

There will be another front office and coaching staff turnover before this happens.

dogg and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Why the Jets won't reach the Super Bowl in the next 3 years:

[​IMG]

dogg, alleycat9, Pepsiguy5 and 3 others like this.
  19. Mainejet

No one in this thread wants to talk about it, but Tanny came very close to doing that for the Jets. What do you think the record of the Jets would have been in 2009 and 2010 without the FA haul Tanny pulled off in 2008?

I think I can safely say this team would never have even been close to playing in consecutive AFC Championships without 2008 FA.

It was not immediately noticeable, but that team was stacked. Mangini had no idea how to weather the storm once things got rough with a few injuries in November of 2008, hence the reason he got fired and really I think he should have. Rex was easily able to patch the DL after Jenkins went down in 2009.

But honestly, have the Jets ever had a better FA haul than 2008? Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Calvin Pace, Tony Richardson, and traded for Kris Jenkins. All of those players turned out to be instrumental in the Jets 2009 and 2010 success. We were that close. All we were missing was a QB. If Favre had stuck around for another season or Sanchez had turned out to be anything other than garbage, we would have won the SB.

The prime example is the Atlanta Falcons because they managed to get to the SB. They got farther than the Jets. But between a few good drafts from Tanny and an excellent FA haul, the Jets were immediately thrust into the ranks of contenders. We could be that again rather easily if Mac manages an excellent FA haul in a month and the Jets have a great draft that includes getting a QB.

Pepsiguy5 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. Mainejet

Well, I never said we have the team that's going to take us where we want to go. In fact, I already mentioned in this thread that Blowes needs to go. However, I'm really not sure about Mac? We're going to find out if he's garbage or the solution this offseason. Who knows, maybe he is the guy that can compliment this team with talent? We could be in perfect position for our next HC.