Josh Allen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think it should be the QB’s responsibility to make sure their ball is catchable rather than the receivers to learn how to catch fireballs. If you don’t have continuity at receiver you’re going to have growing pains of dropped balls and tipped INTs every year and that’s a pain in the ass.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. I was just pointing out that Favre didn't adapt and it worked out pretty well for him, even if his former WRs probably all wind up with severe arthritis.

Big Cat likes this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's not going to matter, Josh Allen is the next Brock Osweiler. His inaccuracy is going to be his down fall at the NFL level. 56% completion percentage is something I would be terrified of if I were a GM.

Sure he had a good 3rd quarter in the senior bowl against a secondary that was shredded by Laulet. Does it mean that Laulet is now going to be drafted in the top 10 because of what he did in a couple of quarters?

It's the body of work that counts and Allens body of work does not constitute the hype.

#163 Red Menace, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and Big Cat like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd take Falk at 6 before even thinking about taking Allen.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  5. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Josh Allen and Lauletta were on opposite teams, throwing against opposite secondaries. Did you even watch the game? It seems like you've read a few things and are trying to make an opinion based on nothing you've actually witnessed. Didn't even get Lauletta's name correct.

legler82 likes this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You are right, my apologies for speeding through my post as I was writing, however I did watch the game, as far as the name is concerned I'm constantly fighting autocorrect on my phone.

So I'll say it for you again Josh Allen is the next Brock Osweiler, his 56% completion percentage would scare me if I were a GM.

It's the body of work that counts and his accuracy sucks, is that better for you?

Lauleta is not going to be a top ten QB because of his sample showing in the senior bowl.

7. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Allen's accuracy is overstated. He's an excellent touch passer who just so happens to have one of the strongest arms in the last decade. In the first half of the Senior Bowl he went 2/5. 2 dump off completions, one throwaway, one drop, one bad overthrow. There was another pass where Allen was affected by the pass rusher and had to rush his throw placed in a great area that was dropped and didn't make the stat sheet due to penalty, I believe. In his second go he went 7/8 for 144 and 2 TDs, and he looked much, much more settled in and confident coming back from a 2+ score deficit. In that second half he threw a handful of beautiful touch throws, but everyone classifies him as an inaccurate big arm guy because he can throw the ball 66mph.

legler82 likes this.
  8. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

I do honestly not think that Allen's accuracy have looked that bad in the games I've watched so far. His college tape is nowhere near as bad as Hackenberg's, which was horrible to watch.

People do probably look at the completion percentage too much. I remember when Geno Smith had 70+% his last season in college and was hailed by some as this super accurate QB, while in reality he played in an air-raid offense with great receivers and just threw the ball in their general direction.

Still, I liked Mahomes better as the big arm guy. And I liked Watson better as the "it"-guy than Mayfield.

legler82 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

All the hate from Jets fans on Allen reminded me of last year with Lattimore.

Jets fans hear about a QB with a strong arm and inconsistent at times and immediately think hes another Hackenberg.

Jets fans hear about a CB who had some injuries in college and immediately think hes Dee Milliner.

TouchyFeely and legler82 like this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The "hate" for Lattimore was because he had a hard time staying on the field. No one doubted his talent. Everyone worried about his injuries and they look to be valid concerns as he already has missed 3 games in his pro career.

I see your still avoiding the Lee thread. Perhaps you can't face the truth so you just go troll elsewhere?

MoWilkBeast and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a good thing we waited until this year, "The Year of the QB" to look to draft one!:mad:

legler82 likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Neither did Ron Jaworski.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This! So many of these Allen is Hack 2.0/a Day 3 pick are box score scouts who never really watched a bunch of his games. I don't even have accuracy as one of my negatives on him. When he is not trying to throw the ball 66 MPH, he's accurate enough IMO. He showed that in the Senior Bowl game and throughout the week of practice. The lack of poise he displays under pressure at times and his processing speed are of bigger concern to me.

14. legler82

The thing is that we already have evidence that Allen is capable of making the adjustment. He started Senior Bowl week trying to show off that big arm. As a result he was erratic and began to fuel the Hack 2.0 narrative. Midway through the week and through the game he stopped and showed that he has touch. Favre was throwing nothing but fast balls years into his NFL career. Favre could afford to because it didn't affect his accuracy. Allen can't afford it.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I mentioned that as my first knock on him and you refuted it.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Senior Bowl rules really afforded him a "driving range" experience, i.e. if I go to the driving range and repeatedly swing at balls, I will get it right and sustain it while I'm there. When I show up to the course fresh, I'm a lost cause.

The north shouldn't have gotten the ball back all those times. That directly led to his performance.

17. legler82

Link please. When did I refute it? I always bring that up. I only refute the whole "project" and 56% = "inaccurate" narrative.

18. ColoradoContrails

I agree with your main concern about Allen's ability to process quickly and under pressure. That's mainly where I see the direct comparison to Hack. And while a QB might be able to improve his accuracy, I don't think it can improve that much, especially when he goes up against exponentially greater competition. I respect your assessments, and I'm willing to admit I may be wrong since I'm not expert, but I just think Allen would be a disaster for the Jets.

As an aside, how do you compare Allen to Mahomes, another guy with a big (maybe bigger) arm? IMO Mahomes is a far better QB, and given how he was thought of as maybe even a 2nd rounder last year, I fail to understand how Allen is being touted as a potential #1 overall.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

"1) kid hasn’t seen speed remotely close to NF speed, decision making speed is unknown"

My memory was wrong. You didn't refute it. You didn't comment on that portion.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Also, if the low completion percentages is being attributed to poor players around him and their respective drops, I'd expect to see his alleged learning and adjustments positively affect his statistics year over year.

I just don't see any of that.