So this is what it's like to see your team go to a championship game...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets, Jan 2, 2018.

1. NYJets

NYJets Member

I hardly ever post, but I do lurk in the forums most weeks either during our latest disaster or shortly thereafter. I've been a life long NY Jets fan and grew up on Long Island. I've lived with the ups and downs and often wondered when it would be our turn to go to a Super Bowl and finally experience what we've all seen other franchises and their fanbases enjoy. Alas, as bicentennial baby born in '76, the closest I've come were the 3 AFC Championship games, one of which (Denver) I was at. We all know what it's like to experience the frustration of watching your beloved team fail year after year or, almost worse, tease us with hope and then pull the rug out right from under us as we get close. That's being a Jet fan and, really, for as much as I hate the disappointments I'm sticking with the organization because deep down I'm convinced that the satisfaction from finally seeing them do it will be worth all those years of misery (it likely won't, but hey, life's better with hope right??).

Last night was the first time I got to see the other side of it. The unbridled joy of your team winning their way into a championship game. You see, I've lived down south since the mid-90s, Atlanta specifically since 98, and through my wife I became a UGA fan. For as big a fan of football as I am, I didn't pay much attention to college ball growing up. These days with national exposure and ESPN's TV deals with the major conferences, big time college football is everywhere even if you don't live near a major college program, but back then growing up on Long Island, I didn't have much

Jets_Grinch and Brook! like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hey. We are almost same age. Hang in there. Good days will eventually come and we all will go crazy. Please post more. :) Cheers!

nycarl and Jets_Grinch like this.
  3. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Congratulations NYJets. Good luck next Monday night.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Lets C I have been a fan since 65 & was at the PO Game @ Shea when we beat Oak to go to SB3. FF to today it is now 49 years yes 49 years of nothingness which will continue so long as Woody owns the team IMHO & the drought will continue until he decide to sell the team hopefully to someone who ONLY desire is winning championships. Until that occurs get your croc tears ready at the end of each season just like 2017 has been:mad:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Very true. The life of a Jet fan. We know more than the GMs and owners. Very frustrating. I'm still wondering why we chose Gholston, Stephen Hill, Devin Smith and Hackenburg. I can go back to all those drafts tell you other guys to take and most of them would be there later in the draft for us to whiff on. Such is our life. And you know in September we will come back for more abuse.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I honestly believe that if we do ever win you still won't be happy because we didn't win by enough.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Glad your college team made the championship. Season ticket holder from 1981-2016. I never in a million years thought I would never see a Jets Super bowl ( I was 10 in 1969) and even worse zero home championship games in 36 years. Life goes fast buddy, before you know it the Jets will go 30 years of your jet fandom not winning shit. Ask the Cub fans, ask Champ. After awhile, you lose patience and start to believe you will never see a Jet super bowl win. Its possible they will never win in my lifetime, not with the current owners. I gave up my season tickets this year because I finally realized they will never win with this ass clown as owner. Still live and die but I don't fool myself anymore. And I don't like the coach and Gm and if they screw up this off season we will pay for it for years to come. I am rooting for them to do great but... well you know

10. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Yet with TB at the helm they would still be on the bench ...

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Bicentennial kid as well. Grew up here in NJ living and dying (mostly) with this team. Enjoy Georgia's run. It may be the closest you get to that winning feeling.

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Champ I hear you and agree,,,but I think they could win with this owner . Woody would have to hire someone to take total control of ALL the football operations . This might not and probably won't EVER happen.So yes the futility will continue. To think that Bowels or Mac are part of the answer and not part of the problem is foolish. I could never imagine feeling this way about this team or organization but I guess as we get older we do get wiser as we have seen this movie so many times and know how it ends.Maybe other things in life are just priority but whatever the reason I am not excited about next season and I was quite happy that this season ended. Enjoy your college championship , I can tell you that your college has a much better shot at winning again before Woody n company does,

13. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Congratulations.

As a Jets and Knicks fan, I've only felt this once, when the Knicks made it as an 8 seed and got creamed by the Spurs in the 1999 NBA Finals. I was 11.

Not sure I'll ever see one again.

14. NYJets

NYJets Member

I appreciate all the well wishes. And for those who question this organization's ability to win, I'm right there with you. I'm a Darksider. Unless we get pretty lucky, we'll likely need an ownership change in order to see what we all want so desperately to see. I don't know that an ownership model whereby on field success translates directly to profitability would make the Jets a better team, but I can't help but feel like Woody is the kind of owner who isn't motivated enough to make the team a SuperBowl winner when you make money either way. Do you make more money now if you win? Yes. But when you make a ton of money even if you lose, a certain amount of incentive is absent. Can smart business people motivated by profits still fail? Absolutely - only one in 32 wins each year. The cynical side of me believes that in many years, quite a few owners aren't all that motivated to get better because, in the end, they still made money. Can you be a bad owner and too involved? Absolutely. I think we have an owner who doesn't make great decisions but isn't penalized for doing so because the bottom line is still positive. So, we languish.

I have my tickets to the game Monday night and will be rooting on the Dawgs. I jokingly said to my wife that the SB is here in Atlanta next year and wouldn't it be cool if the Jets got in.....:p:p:p:p:p. Seriously though, I've been to over a dozen Super Bowls and I just hope I get to see one with the Jets before I die!

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Somebody give me a heads up when our new Owner stops being a super fan. Right now, he's worse than Woody was 18 years ago. Woody didn't know shit about being an owner and came in as a fan. Belichek saw this coming and bailed. Now we get to do it all over again. Good thing we don't have to win anymore. No pressure, no rush. Take your time. Hell, its only been 7 years. Damn impatient fanbase. Just be patient, spend your cash on tickets and swag and be happy the Jets suit up and can actually find the football field without using google maps.

#15 Cman68, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  16. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Guys as long as our super fan ownership learns to stay out of football decisions we’ll be Ok. I like what Chris Johnson has been saying just don’t mandate we sign a Tim Tebo or bring back a Revis just to try to put more butts in the seats. WINNING will put the butts in the seats !!!

Keep the faith

17. NYJets

NYJets Member

And that's what it's like to see your team lose a championship...

So, first things first, that sucked. I felt like Georgia needed another score in the 4th to keep just one step further ahead to holdout Bama's comeback and they just couldn't do it. This time it was the other guy making the adjustments at halftime and the balls it took to replace your QB in a championship game are huge. They won the game and deserved to.

That being said, while I'm not someone who believes in moral victories or the always irritating "there's always next year" (can't ever forget that first game in 99 after what almost was in 98), I think Georgia is on a much better track than they were 3 years ago. Kirby Smart is a big step forward and i have no reason to think they won't be competitive for a while going forward. Is he going to surpass Saban? Nope. No one will. Ask Clemson, Ohio State and Auburn fans. Sorry folks, like Belichick, he's the best in the business and while you may beat him in a given year, over time he gets the better of everybody. It sucks to be in the same conference as Alabama, but not as much as having to see the Pats twice every season and their forever string of divisional titles.

What Georgia has is reason to feel like they could get back there. I absolutely don't have that confidence in the Jets. While I know Brady only has a few years left and Belichick can't coach forever, it's a much bigger stretch to think that the Jets fortunes will turnaround before or even after the Pats inevitably fade. Our owner makes shit decisions and that will likely doom us until he's no longer the owner. I'll get to smile and eventually when all Pats fans have are stories about the good old days, but obviously I'd prefer that the Jets have their own success. With Georgia, I think they could put the pieces together to win a title. Will it be a dynasty? That's ridiculously hard for any program to achieve, especially as long as Saban is still around (although at 66 and now having tied Bear Bryant for 6 titles, there's not much left to prove so I really wonder whether he's still coaching in 2025 - the end of his current contract). With Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer having gotten their rings even in the Saban era, I think Kirby can get his too.

MurrellMartin and Brook! like this.
  18. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

The curse of being a fan of this franchise goes beyond just the Jets.