McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Your right

It’s unexciting & stubborn but it’s actually good for the team in the long run cause any QB that unseats the incumbent will have seemingly the whole team behind him given he had to earn it.

Also,this puts added pressure on the FO to get whoever they bring in right bc there aren’t gonna be any hand outs based on politics.The QB they draft will have to earn it & hopefully gain the whole locker rooms respect in the process.

BacktoQueens and FJF like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If McCown can sustain this level of play, I think I would prefer signing him and drafting the highest rated QB they can get, over signing Cousins. They still have a lot of holes to fill, and aren't on the verge of a SB, and may not be for another year or two, years that "waste" the investment in Cousins, but which would be worthwhile in developing their future FQB that will lead them for 8+ years at less cost.

Of course this runs the risk of Bowles (and I'm assuming he'll be retained at this point) will start and stick with McCown, but as FJF and Kurt pointed out, if the draftee can't beat out McCown, then he doesn't deserve to play. But I don't want to even think about Macc misfiring on drafting a FQB, it's too depressing, so I'll hope that he either beats out McCown in TC, or shows enough that he can take over at some point that first year.

Metstrife and Cman68 like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

McCown isn't my ideal but, he's having a career year and that's enough for him to return next year. With Macc being 0 for 2 in drafting QB's, I'm not comfortable at all with going to the well for a third time. I just hope all this homework Macc is doing will pay off this year. I don't see Macc spending a ton of cash on Cousins with McCown playing at this level. Even if he can squeeze one more decent year out of his 39 years, that should be enough to bridge to a serviceable Qb.

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think the jets will bring him back and flat out tell him he is here with the intention of developing our drafted QB. Whether that means mentoring him & being his backup or temporarily starting till our Draft pick is up to speed. There will not be any commitment to him to be a starter. And I think he will accept those terms...As he did this year.

5. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I've seen this movie before and it doesn't end well for the Jets. McCown may be the solid middle-of-the-road QB that a win-now team could use. He'll avoid most the game breaking mistakes, but he won't resuscitate a team that's down. McCown is perfect for the Broncos, Buc, Bears, or as a backup in any number of places. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Jets are one of those places.

Don't get me wrong, he's playing great - I just don't think where McCown is in his career matches where the Jets are in their development. The team needs a long term solution at QB, and next year they should be able to get one, if not two guys to see if they fit. If that's the direction they go in, the Jets shouldn't spend any snaps on McCown.

Peebag and abc like this.
  6. Christian

Christian Active Member

Or just keep continuity on the offense so the younger players can continue to develop with the guy who's brought them this far in the first place. Let a 1st round rookie sit behind McCown for a year and ease him in. Hopefully by the time he's ready to start the offensive line will also be fixed.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Mac would have to have an Idzickian meltdown for this team not take another step forward with all the money and draft picks this off-season.
    So I guess it's possible he could let it ride to see if he has better options in '19. But I'm pretty sure I remember Casserly saying you keep trying til hopefully you get it right, and Mac repeating that also.

I don't think Mac would forsake the chance at nabbing one if he thought it was the right value. Any other idea that Mac is scared or Bowles doesn't like young guys etc, etc, is not based on any fact.

So I think he could easily draft a guy, but that's it's possible he could let it ride a year if they believe the team is improving, regardless of their record, and the options are not up to snuff in their estimation.
    I don't believe for a second that he would be scared to pull the trigger because of his job, fear of failure, or any unwillingness for him, or Bowles, not to try and get a guy because of McCown. That's crazy talk.

#67 Walt White, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

He'd be a great mentor for a kid like Baker Mayfield ... just sayin :rolleyes:

9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

This has Shitzpatrick's second year written all over it. Come back and mentor our new young QB but not for 12-15 mil...

grkmanga31 and Jets69 like this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

No Keenum?

All he does is win!

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have to wonder if McCown owes his career year to Morton's new system. Could McCown have flourished under Gailey? Who knows but chances are we would have seen the same predictable offense with McCown under center. Morton is only in his first year as a OC. His encore should be even more exciting. You have to ask is it the player, the system or some combo of both that is behind McCown's rebirth.

13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Not shocked by this at all. Said that Bowles thinks Hack and Petty are essentially a waste of a roster spot and that he really only wants to see McCown since it gives him the best chance to win.

Conversely, next season this approach better be different because I do not expect McCown to continue this play and if Maccagnan makes the same mistake in being hell bent on retaining McCown at any price then we will again have a disastrous year.

Building on a young core of players means getting a young free agent QB or drafting a QB to supplement that young core. Retaining a 39 year old QB would be a step in the wrong direction, specifically if McCown is signed to start again.

Appreciate what he's done but I've seen this experiment before

Peebag likes this.
  14. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I get McCown isn't the QB of the future but in all the drama about his age some people seem to be overlooking his numbers this season which are good. 96.7 passer rating and one of the best completion percentages in the league. Remove the name McCown from his shirt and replace him with a rookie and we'd be talking about a very solid rookie season. Yet the Jets still have enough holes elsewhere that we'd probably still be around 5-7. McCown has done enough to come back next year, hopefully as a very solid backup and mentor to our QB of the future. If the Jets are going to draft a QB, do what LA and the Eagles did and trade up to make sure you get your man.

FJF likes this.
  15. grkmanga31

But that's just it. His age is a huge detriment and so is career history.

If jets are committed to bringing him back as a back up then I'm all for it because he is a very solid backup. But its time the Jets take that next step and get someone who's younger to bring this team to the next level.

Also, in your opinion what is the absolute most Jets should spend to bring McCown back?

16. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I think we're agreeing - I'm all for them going and getting that young QB and bringing back McCown as a very solid back up. Thing is after this season he may be able to get another starting job - plenty of QB needy teams out there right now. I've got no idea what sort of money we're tallking - I think he's on £6m for this season maybe?

17. grkmanga31

I think his deal now is a 1 year - 6 million dollar deal - would have to think he's going to be looking for at least 10 mil a season after the way he's played. Which to me is very reminiscent of how all of us were trying to figure out the value of Fitz after 2015 and whether it was worth it.

Peebag likes this.
  18. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

You know he'll sign for 12 mil and then crap his pants '18

19. grkmanga31

And then both Bowles and Maccagnan will be gone in 2018. If they want to retain their jobs they'll learn from the mistakes in 2016. McCown should be brought back as a backup, but I'm not breaking the bank for him.

westiedog1 likes this.