4-7 but keep running out McCown ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Any playing time Petty gets will be an audition for his next team. No real reason to think his future is here. Petty couldn't possibly be that stupid to even consider hanging around here.

matt robinson 17, dogg and dman928 like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he does but remember it's only a few games. people thought the same of young and RG3 and both sucked after good rookie seasons. also dak was the rage last eyar and balled as a rookie but isn't looking too hot this season

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes..been a fan since 1968 and Ive had it if we dont get the BEST QB this draft..pretty pathetic fans on TGG know what to do more than the FO

boozer32 likes this.
  4. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Robbie Anderson says hi!
    McCown is way ahead of Petty, playing him or God forbid Hack, would inhibit everyone who will be playing this offense next season under Morton. All you QB gurus hate it that McClown is shoving it up your buts. Don't be a hater. Lol
    I'm all for petty, but he has next year to try to break into the lineup. Why trot him out there behind this line?
    McCown is a vet who is use to playing for shitty teams, while running for his life. Petty got screwed last year. While Hack stood there like a bar fly. He is still standing.
    You were all about this slow development bullshit for the sake of Hack, so what happened?
    Get use to McCown dude. He will be your man next year unless something big happens. I don't think Mac has the nuts to make something big happen. Do you?

TonyFtLaud and BacktoQueens like this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm hoping Mac nuts up and brings in Cousins.
    But if we can't land him, then I'd definitely be interested in bringing McCown back plus drafting a QB high.

tbruner12 likes this.
  6. tbruner12

A couple badass linemen, and a top tier RB would do wonders for any QB. Including McCown.
    Running the ball does wonders for an offense, but the throw happy people on this board don't believe a good line or a RB does much.
    Total nonsense! Too many Madden tactics with some people on this board. I guess some people will never understand real football rather than fantasy football. Lol

7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I'd rather the latter. Cousins will be expensive and he will have essentially been run out of Washington (though I am not exactly sure what their beef is with him). Regardless, I think building this team organically and not overpaying free agents is the better move in the long run.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. Legit, top super bowl contending teams while staying balanced but still largely throwing their way to victories is not fantasy or Madden based. The LEAGUE is throw happy...

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Can a mod update the title please? That would be great

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That is a great point.

I wouldn't mind the Jets drafting Mayfield if he's there.

McCown would be a good mentor.

tbruner12 likes this.
  11. Christian

Christian Active Member

This team needs to just do whatever it can to trade up for either of the top 2 QB's who come out, let McCown start another year, and let Petty and Hack fight to be on the practice squad.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Let Mackenburg rot on the practice squad. Petty needs to move on.

#131 Cman68, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  13. tbruner12

So 51-49 is throw happy?
    Teams that are winning have to be able to run just as good as they throw. That's why line play is so critical to the success of any football offense. It doesn't matter who your QB is. If Brady had our line for the last 15 years, he would be Journey man Josh McCown.
    What are the Eagles, Rams, Saints, Panthers, doing as example?
    Lots of run, play action pass. That's how you win Football games. Not with 4 and 5 receiver sets.
    So maybe you misunderstood what I meant.
    Again, is 51-49 % throw to run pass happy?

boozer32 likes this.
  14. I don’t think it’s 51-49 though.Its more like 60-40. The ol’s role in the game is changed.Yes they are still vital to success but you don’t win games up front any more..your front allows your skill players to win. Running game now isn’t about blowing the other team off the line..the pass now sets up the run

As for Brady..there have been a number of years the jets had a better OL than the Pats.Theyve been above average at best most years.The light/Neal/Mankins/Koppen era was their best group..very good in 2007 & what ended up happening in that super bowl against 4 man rushes right up the A gap??

Patriots win up front by always having one horse to lean on,having the best OL coach in football & Brady utilizing a very quick passing attack. More games than not jets vs Patriots the jets have gotten to Brady in a significant manner. Did we win many of those games?No we didn’t.Thats my whole point.

OL is important but you can no longer win up front.

In most years the jets have contended the OL has been top notch..and it’s been the offensive skill group & QB letting them down.Not Enough explosion & not enough big plays

15. tbruner12

By saying that the Jets have contended by having great O-lines, you prove my point. Our line carried those teams.
    Saying you can't win in this league buy having an excellent line is silly.
    Teams are proving that statement today. Look at the Rams. Goff went from potential flop in his first year to being a Super Bowl contender. They are not slinging it around, and using the pass to set up the run. Play action pass, set up by the run.
    Look at the team's in the NFC that are playoff contenders. Drew Brees, as much as he use to sling it around, what is their formula now?
    How is Dallas, and Dak Prescott without their running game?
    Pittsburg has an awesome passing attack, but what happens if they loose Bell? Not a Super Bowl contender.
    Anyway, my mention of Tom Brady, shouldn't have led you into a Pats breakdown VS the Jets. But since it did, what happened in 2010?
    The Jets won that playoff game with a very strong running game, while shutting the Pats down because their line wasn't as good as our D-line.
    My point was, if Brady played behind a shitty line as much as McCown, he would also be a "McCown".
    As for their Super Bowl loss to the Giants, what does that say?
    It should prove that the O-line is just as important today as any other era.
    Denying that is ridiculous.
    Keep watching this season. Maybe then u will find the error in your fundamental beliefs.

16. First of all...we've had this exact same argument at least once in the past year. So don't act as if this new unchartered territory or that you're getting one over on me.

Secondly..I never said OL wasn't important. I said that it's not the be all end all. Which I still stand by.

You have this idea in your head, and you aren't alone within this fan base that nothing else matters on offense but OL. You think that the game is won & lost upfront. It simply isn't true anymore.

Your arguments have holes in them. You mention Dallas not having a running game; Really? Don't they still have the best OL in football? Should losing Elliot matter that much if OL is the be all end all??

Same with Pittsburgh...I thought we were arguing OL...not furthering my point that skill is just as important by suggesting how much value Laveon Bell has.

You mention 2010 with the Patriots but hell that was 7 years ago & was one stinking year out of however the hell many we've lost to them before. The game has changed since then. Is dramatically more pass/boundary oriented.

Put on 75% of the games between the Jets-Patriots since 2009 & in most cases the Jets have won the LOS on both sides of the ball We've won what? 4-5 of those games at most?? And it's not just the jets or the Patriots. Put on a game. see who wins up front and how often that team actually wins the game. I think you'd be surprised at how infrequent it comes to fruition.

You label me as this Madden new era pass happy fanatic. I'm not. I actually love line possibly more than you do. But i love the Jets & hate losing more. I came to the realization about 4 years ago that the game has changed & winning the trenches while important doesn't guarantee winning & isn't a formula for ultimate success. Just look at our DL on the other side of the ball!!!!!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. tbruner12

First of all football is a team game, so don't try putting words into my mouth by saying that I said OL is the end all.
    QB is important, but can't do shit without a good o-line which is my point and has been since our other debate. You put QB above the O-line.
    By you saying that line play isn't as important as it once was is what is ludicrous to me. Without a good line, offensive balance, QB's suck way more than not. Period. That's the way it's been since the forward passing game came to be.
    Nothing is guaranteed, o-line play, QB play, whatever.
    I watch line play every game, and it's still more of a win indicator than QB play. You realize that when throwing the ball, and I am a fan of throwing more than running, 3 things can happen and 2 of the outcomes are bad. Right?
    The game hasn't changed, maybe some of the rules have. Look at the team's in playoff position this year. That should prove to you something, but if it doesn't that isn't on me.
    The Pats have Brady, who is in the class of Montana, a hall of famer. That's why they beat us in most cases. When we win, our D-line and front give him major trouble, exposing the QB position as inadequate, due to his front not being able to contain our front, I.e., the battle in the trenches. All football games are won and lost there.
    I'm not getting into uncharted territory not was I acting like it, I'm well aware of our debate from months ago.
    I don't try to get one over on anyone, but it's not my problem if you as an ex-lineman and ex-writer of o-linemen, believe that 7 on 7 drills is what drives football today rather than the battle in the trenches. Ask any pro football player today that plays the game, I bet they say the trench battle decides the game. Shitty trench guys on the offensive side cancel skill positions. Believe what you want, because in the end it's a debate. Again I'm not trying to get over on you, it's a debate.
    Why do you hate it when I mention Madden? I love Madden, but I know the difference between reality and make believe. Lol

18. Yes I put QB above the OL bc I’ve sat through too many seasons in which I’ve seen Marino,Eli,Roethlisberger,Rivers, & Brady win despite flawed OLs.Meanwhile I’ve seen us field dominant OL units that couldn’t get us over the top bc we’ve never had a QB & we haven’t drafted skill since Santana Moss.

It’s a team game.Absolutely. But you’ve gotta have skill players that can occasionally make plays on their own & a QB who can beat a blitz/9 man fronts when teams try to neutralize the running game.Thats been our downfall for a very long time. It’s not meant as a slight at OL but rather preventing a slight against skill which really is where we’ve failed miserably from a hollistic roster perspective. When you keep pounding the table for horses up front I see it as continued negligence of the boundary.Im ready for a different style offense..no more 3 yards & a cloud of dust which always fails against elite Ds

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Key word proper coaching.

20. boozer32

Why would you think Petty will get a shot next year? He played better than both Hack and McCown and Bowels handed the job to McCown.

21. boozer32

That would set the Jets fanbase on fire if Petty moves on and becomes something.

Cman68 likes this.